C4 Forums | Control4

Discussion of new CA-10 controller

jfh

It looks like the new CA-10 controller adds processing power and power redundancy to an existing system and still requires another controller for I/O.

Is there any guidance to dealers yet on which type of C4 systems would benefit from adding a CA-10?

i suspect it won’t be of interest to a large percentage of the install base but I’m intrigued by it.  I have a large number of driver instances and devices, though probably not near the thousands it claims to support.  

The Control4 CA-10 Automation Controller is the newest and most powerful member of
Control4’s award-wining line of controllers and is engineered to deliver exceptional
performance in big homes and commercial jobs. It offers four times the processing
power and four times the memory of our previous flagship controller so dealers can
provide customers with a responsive system capable of controlling thousands of devices.
The CA-10 also offers customers more peace of mind knowing that the system is always
available with numerous fail-safe systems including dual power supplies, dual solid-state
drives, dual network ports, and dual fans. If one of these systems ever fails, the CA-10
automatically switches to the redundant system without interruption to the customer.
Automatic service notifications can be programmed so you know immediately if a
problem occurs. The CA-10 works as the primary controller to provide the muscle for the
project. Use with EA controllers to provide streaming music, Zigbee, I/O, and on-screen
TV interface. The CA-10 is also the perfect controller for small business applications where
service agreements require the most reliable solution possible.
The CA-10 raises the bar for home automation through:

• A powerful processor with exceptional performance for big projects, up to thousands of devices.
  • Multiple fail-safe systems to protect the system and keep it up and running even when a power supply, network port, solid state drive (SSD), or fan fails.
  • Advanced programming capabilities to facilitate dealer notification of failover conditions.
  • 5-year warranty

4 hours ago, jfh said:

It looks like the new CA-10 controller adds processing power and power redundancy to an existing system and still requires another controller for I/O.

Is there any guidance to dealers yet on which type of C4 systems would benefit from adding a CA-10?

i suspect it won’t be of interest to a large percentage of the install base but I’m intrigued by it.  I have a large number of driver instances and devices, though probably not near the thousands it claims to support.  

I must say this also intrigues me.  I have a large project which has been giving me some challenges so something with 4 times the power and 4 times the memory (presumably of an EA5?) could be a big plus!

What defines a large project.  I am looking to upgrade an HC800/HC250 based house.

I currently have panellised lighting, with bus controlled keypads, Alarm, AV and distributed audio.  8x Audio zones, 5x AV zones (each with dedicated HC250),  DS2 Gate Station with 3x T3 Touchscreens, Alarm, Garage & Gate Control, CCTV, 8x Heating zones using Heatmiser & 16x Somfy blinds.  

How big would this be classified?

There is a bit of lag sometimes say when executing lighting scenes from keypads as well as initiating audio.

Would I see an improvement with either an EA5/EA1 upgrade from my existing HC800/HC250 or this new CA10 with EA1's?

How much would the performance differ between running an EA5 over the HC800 at a minimum?

everything works with my ea5, so I don't think I'll switch.. there's no need to fix something that isn't broken.  Always love new gadgets but so hard to change stuff when all is working.. I still wish I never upgraded to OS3, my other systems on the old system work perfectly and trying to get my parents to re-learn new functions is too difficult so I don't plan on changing those for sure..  It took years for them to understand the old system so making the new change will be unreal for them to relearn. then new 10 looks cool, but it really doesn't give me anything more than I have now.. but cool

11 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

EAs, HC800 are Intel Atoms.

i guess i am asking (not really asking just wanting to play really) for a version of C4 that would run on an intel server platform. I think the controllers run Debian but i assume that all the apps are compiled for the atom processor.

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

i guess i am asking (not really asking just wanting to play really) for a version of C4 that would run on an intel server platform. I think the controllers run Debian but i assume that all the apps are compiled for the atom processor.

If they did that, they wouldn't sell controllers. I'd expect that is way low on their list of items to do.

3 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

If they did that, they wouldn't sell controllers. I'd expect that is way low on their list of items to do.

Oh yeah I agree. Not something that they would do. Just something that would be neat to play with.

I would assume that all the developers have several virtual machines that they use for testing and development.

25 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

But do you want redundancy at that price?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Here is what baffles me - you probably still need an EA3 or 5 for the I/O's, streaming audio, etc.  I know you can get the I/O's elsewhere but not the audio.  So isnt that your redundancy?  Couldn't they have made an CA-10 or whatever just faster/snappier without the redundnacy and oh if it fails you roll the project over to the EA5 temporarily?  I guess with the CA-10 it rolls over so nothing a dealer needs to do if something goes out so its better for up time, but it really comes at a major price that I cannot see except for a very few small situations.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Here is what baffles me - you probably still need an EA3 or 5 for the I/O's, streaming audio, etc.  I know you can get the I/O's elsewhere but not the audio.  So isnt that your redundancy?  Couldn't they have made an CA-10 or whatever just faster/snappier without the redundnacy and oh if it fails you roll the project over to the EA5 temporarily?  I guess with the CA-10 it rolls over so nothing a dealer needs to do if something goes out so its better for up time, but it really comes at a major price that I cannot see except for a very few small situations.

i agree. I actually called the CA10 a science project - that is how I view it....Engineering for engineers

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

?

CA-10 is certainly faster. Whether any upgrade is noticeable will depend on the project itself.

Does C4 have any guidance for what type of projects the CA-10 would be good for?  I’d like to have some idea whether adding a $4k controller is going to help or not before taking that plunge.

6 minutes ago, jfh said:

Does C4 have any guidance for what type of projects the CA-10 would be good for?  I’d like to have some idea whether adding a $4k controller is going to help or not before taking that plunge.

Only thing mentioned that I saw was for commercial installs and for large homes. 1000-4000 sq ft, maybe not. Mansions and buildings at 10000-60000 sq ft, absolutely.

6 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

I assume the question mark is for why I said the HC800 is better?

It has a faster CPU than the EA5.

That being said, the audio quality and UI on the EA5 are phenomenal.

I bet the CA10 would make any system feel snappier. Think like loading an hc250 project onto an EA5.

I am not a hardware expert by any means so I stand to be corrected.

https://smart-story.ru/files/products/controllers/ea-1-performance-comparison-rev-a.pdf

is that Hc-800 a single core?  If so wouldnt a dual core 1.6 be better than a single core 1.8?  Again I dont know, and I am just assuming the HC800 is a single core.  I find it hard to believe they put a worse chip in the EA5 compared to the HC800.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.