C4 Forums | Control4

Discussion of new CA-10 controller

jfh

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

I'd prefer something like a 4 stereo, 2 digital audio only device myself at this point. a 'dumb' audio streamer if you will

Something like this from Denon? https://usa.denon.com/us/heos/heos-superlink

I would have thought Control4 would have made one of these under the Triad brand by now. Seems like a no brainer

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

they released that last year at Cedia - it looks sweet - haven't landed one to play with but I agree instead of a triad one, like a triad 3 or 5...

i think he is even wanting something "dumber" than a triad one; no amp. think Sonos connect.

I think the sweet spots are 1 zone or 4 zone streamers. I would like to replace my sonos connect with a "dumb" (no amp) Triad one that had stereo, optical and coax outputs.

11 hours ago, lippavisual said:

What did C4 have at Cedia that was Dante enabled??

Didn't see anything about it anywhere.

If we had an audio box only with Dante enabled, we could push 16 streams easily. 

Did you read the CEpro article about Dante? 

I spoke with a guy on the stand about it and they said it was something in the pakedge line, so it looks like it was more on the networking side of Dante rather than the audio side. I was hoping for a dante enabled triad matrix when I read the article but no such luck. 

• 3 weeks later...

So my CA10 is being installed tomorrow... has anyone here put one in a system yet? Is it worth the price tag?

If it solves the issues I’ve had for the last month or so, it will be worth the price for me... if it speeds the system up then it will be a big big plus.

And a question, should I move Zigbee to the CA10?

I will have a CA10, an EA5 and 2 HC800s in my system (plus a number of EA1 and HC250s).

I currently have 2 Zigbee networks (on the 2 HC800s) and the EA5 does something for Zigbee also (I think it is the Cordinator and the HC800s are the Zigbee Servers but I may have my terminology confused)...

24 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

So my CA10 is being installed tomorrow... has anyone here put one in a system yet? Is it worth the price tag?

If it solves the issues I’ve had for the last month or so, it will be worth the price for me... if it speeds the system up then it will be a big big plus.

And a question, should I move Zigbee to the CA10?

I will have a CA10, an EA5 and 2 HC800s in my system (plus a number of EA1 and HC250s).

I currently have 2 Zigbee networks (on the 2 HC800s) and the EA5 does something for Zigbee also (I think it is the Cordinator and the HC800s are the Zigbee Servers but I may have my terminology confused)...

AFAIK CA-10 does not have the Zigbee antenna. I guess you could run the server on it, but then there's the question of why (I guess the server will be redundant for holding the Zigbee server info so that's the only benefit I see).

Might make sense to just keep all Zigbee on the EA-5. 

AFAIK CA-10 does not have the Zigbee antenna. I guess you could run the server on it, but then there's the question of why (I guess the server will be redundant for holding the Zigbee server info so that's the only benefit I see).
Two USB. Two NIC. That's it.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, EverAction said:

Correct, no Zigbee hardware on the CA-10.

I can't speak to "worth the price", that is highly dependent on the individual homeowner, but I installed a CA-10 after CEDIA, and the project at my mid-sized house (15 audio zones, 12 touchpanels, lots of custom Lua drivers, etc.) runs noticeably faster.

The biggest improvement (for me) is that restarting Director happens almost instantaneously.  A few seconds, Director is back up.  During development, it's advantageous to restart Director often to get a 'full reload' for driver testing purposes, etc.  The EA-5 would take 20-30 seconds to be back and responsive.  I'm sure your mileage could vary on this test, depending on your project size.

The second biggest improvement is that the CA-10 is fast enough that my T3 touchpanels are very rarely now spinning waiting to update after a refresh navigators, etc.  On the EA-5, when you would refresh navigators and/or reboot the system, T3 touchpanels would all ask for the project at the same time, and it would slow everything down until they finished.  It didn't happen often, since I didn't really need the restart except for development purposes, but when it happened, it was painful.

The third biggest improvement is the overall latency of the system has decreased.  Things just seem snappier, including Room changes / MSP AV screens, etc.

I don't use the On Screen provided by the EA-5 very much, but I'd expect it to be faster as well, since the EA doesn't need to "run the project".

Overall, I'm impressed!  Of course, take it with a grain of salt, as I'm an employee, and of course, get an employee discount...

RyanE

https://www.control4.com/press_releases/2007/09/06/high-performance-hc-1000/

Just like +10 years ago, C4 introduced HC1000, price tag was $1500. My guess the cost of R&D of CA-10 is cheaper than EA5, it's just a pc platform, more profit for the company if they can push in sale, very interesting. :)

And not sure about power consumption 24/7 for the CA-10 alone?

2 hours ago, bogleheads said:

https://www.control4.com/press_releases/2007/09/06/high-performance-hc-1000/

Just like +10 years ago, C4 introduced HC1000, price tag was $1500. My guess the cost of R&D of CA-10 is cheaper than EA5, it's just a pc platform, more profit for the company if they can push in sale, very interesting. :)

And not sure about power consumption 24/7 for the CA-10 alone?

I just threw an HC1000V3 in the garbage...

OK, so I have had my CA10 installed for a couple of days now and am loving it.  Whether it has fixed my original underlying problems, I am not yet sure as they were intermittent and I have a couple of drivers that my dealer still needs to get up and running on the CA10 (as the keys need to be linked to the new controller).  I should know whether my problem has been solved in a week or so.

In terms of performance, my observations so far are:

1. Everything definitely feels much snappier. Including motion sensors, backlight changes on keypads, Navigation on a T3, Light responses, LED feedback on light switches etc. (note I have made no Zigbee changes as yet although I may move some Zigbee functionality from an HC800 to an EA5 as I now have an EA5 that does absolutely nothing except act as an OSD for my main theatre and run the third and fourth digital audio path)...

2. Navigator refresh takes around 30 seconds as opposed to 5 minutes previously.

3. I can now open my iOS App during Navigator refresh (it used to fail to connect while all my T3s were refreshing).  The navigator refresh on the iOS app is now seconds - used to also be close to 30 seconds.

4. Director reboot / project loading is taking under a minute (compared to 5 minutes previously).

5. Project back up is taking a few minutes compared to 10 or 15 minutes (and often timing out) previously.  Note: I have not actually timed these so the more accurate comment, is that this has changed from a heck of a long time to a reasonably acceptable time. My project is large, and I back up artwork and screensaver photos also.

6. Native Alexa control seems much faster which surprised me as I have always blamed the speed on internet connectivity between South Africa and the states...

There was a lot of random stuff happening in my project in the last month. I genuinely think that at 650 / 700 devices / drivers I was at the edge of what an EA5 could handle.  So far I have seen none of this on the CA10 but as mentioned above, I am withholding judgement on this item for a week or so.

So far the CA10 is getting a big thumbs ups from me for big projects... Only time will tell how good the redundancy is.

I had a very (as in 30 seconds or less) brief look at the programming one can do against the CA10 and I see that one can program against a fault but I did not see a string variable that tells one what the most recent fault or log is... I may just have missed it.  That would be a lot more useful than programming against various fault variables to determine what the status of the controller is for an e-mail notification.

As a complete aside, my system defaults to one of my HC800s for the first 2 digital audio paths and then to my EA5 and then to one of the other controllers. Is there any way to change the order as I assume using the EA5 for digital audio would be the better option than the HC800?

I’ve just installed my second CA-10 , phenomenol hardware , a previous navigator refresh of about 12 mins for example is less than a minute. I have some extremely large projects ( if you call 14-20 EA’s that ) even when using composer the wait time is much more pleasant. 

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely the wrong place to ask, but I noticed certain members that have posted in this topic and I know these as well-versed in this arena.  I'm trying to figure out why my EA-5 is showing it's at 85% memory usage?  I certainly do not consider my project large (@dcovach @msgreenf)????    I just happened upon this when I was wanting to confirm what Zigbee Channel I was on.  I really am only 60% automated at this point, so I'm curious what's eating up my memory.  At some point soon, I am about to layoff a bunch on an EA-1 and an EA-3 (or 2 EA-1's, I just happen to have one of each right now). This will unburden the EA-5 memory I imagine?  I didn't watch for CPU burden, but it was reading low when I was there for a minute.

2 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Thanks @Cartnj 

I'll check it again tonight.  I think the post by  Mr. Daniel above is more referring to processor burden, this is definitely memory, not processor.

You either have a massive project or a driver that is using (leaking) a lot of memory... My project is massive and that is the sort of level (around 80% memory usage) I was at before moving to a CA10. I am now down under 20%...

14 minutes ago, Mr. Daniel said:

We deal with 'larger' system at the company i'm currently working for. We just received our CA-10 for the showroom.  In running service calls and dealing w/ C4 Support I've seen multiple projects get bogged down due to processing limitations of the EA-5 and HC800.  It's generally systems w/ a lot of IP drivers polling the devices constantly tying up precious processing power. It doesn't help that the EA's and HC's only process Director on one core as I've been informed (???).  If you see a 25% processor load you're maxed out is how C4 explained it.  The CA-10's additional processing power would definitely alleviate this issue but "at what cost"?  I think cost is relative. If you spent $75k on your project you may not see the need for a CA-10. But if you spent $500k on it then adding it to speed up your project and stabilize it makes perfect sense.  I can't see where the redundant network connections will come into play in 'smaller, residential' networks but I'm guessing it makes sense to those of you that deal w/ business networks.  

I’m not sure about all of this, although I have heard the one core being used for the Director story before so it may be true... but 25% is not Max’d out.  When I was on an EA5, I often had CPU usage up at 70% plus... so By your logic, I must have been Max’d out 3 times over?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.