C4 Forums | Control4

Google Assistant coming

oscarnyc

I never tried Alexa, but am interested in using Google Assistant.  Can someone tell me more about the voice scene programming?  I see that scenes can be added - ie Turn on Master TV.  My question is must each and every voice scene be programmed?  Or are some just "standard."  Meaning, I have lights called bedside lights.  Can I just ask Google Assistant to "turn up bedside lights" and that works?  Or do I need to first have that scene programmed?  

Thanks 

This is some good stuff!

Does anything else Google-related come with this update, such as Cast capabilities?  I have a great whole-home audio setup with Control4 matrices and some nice amps, but I can't control the system with Google Assistant as of today.  The Chromecast Audios are end-of-life and I don't know of any other affordable alternatives for hardware that provide similar functionality.  Being able to trigger music over the whole-home system through Google Assistant is at the top of my wish list right now, and I just feel like it's still so far away.

Is anyone else struggling with how to enable this? In the "My Home" section at customer.control4.com it tells me there aren't voice control devices detected. I have 3 Google Home devices. How do I need to get them detectable?

Well, I found it in the Google Home/Assistant App, but when I login it thinks for a second and then says "Something went wrong".

When I go to the Google Home app on my phone and try to link something, I selected Control4 and put in my credentials. It says "Control4 is Linked" - wheel spins - it says "Something went wrong. Try again.". Over and over. In customer.control4.com I go to Voice Control and see Google. I select "Discover Devices" and it tells me that it's unable to add any devices from Google Assistant and to try later.

I must be missing something.

47 minutes ago, jrh1812 said:

@C4CA

For me so far they offer the same experience. I think it will truly come down to which ecosystem you have or which "Wake" word you prefer to say. 

Can the commands be sent from a phone with Google Assistant without requiring hardware like a Google Home?  As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been holding out on everything until I can control audio from Google Assistant with my current configuration.  I don't know how any of this stuff works because I haven't put any time into it yet.

Can the commands be sent from a phone with Google Assistant without requiring hardware like a Google Home?  As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been holding out on everything until I can control audio from Google Assistant with my current configuration.  I don't know how any of this stuff works because I haven't put any time into it yet.
Yup. Hey google on your phone works perfect

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

This is a great thread.
@msgreenf (Mitch), considering I have a house full of Sonos with Alexa native, seems like I’d be better off just sticking with that, but I do own a slew of Google devices as well, just never unboxed.

Thoughts are always welcome.

On another note - will this in anyway affect Nest integration? In terms of both Google/Nest relationship ...but to take it a step further ...Nest doorbell? I have the thermostat and doorbell. The thermostat integrates, albeit poorly, but I have zero integration of the doorbell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Yup. Hey google on your phone works perfect

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Thanks, @msgreenf!  I was hoping that was the case, but I haven't played with this type of setup at all so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the audio side of things?  I assume that nothing has changed with this update, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  I'm dying to give Google Assistant a command to play Spotify in a certain room and have it use my whole-home audio system.  I've already put the money into the Control4 audio matrices and nice amps, and now the actual sources are the problem.  I have some close family members that own VSSL and they make an amp that includes a Cast device for each amp zone, but going that route would cause me to replace all of my amps that I currently have.  Additionally, I'm still not clear on what issues would occur since Control4 wouldn't be aware of any of the Google commands that are handled natively by the VSSL amp.

I'm dying here.

• 5 months later...

My experience with google home was mixed. My absolute favorite option is being able to ask google to turn off multiple lights at the same time in one voice command. With alexa I have to ask her each time for each light. My biggest issue is accuracy of voice commands. My most frequent command is turn off the kitchen lights. Alexa has never once turned off any other light scene other than what she heard, unless she didnt hear me. Google regular when I ask for the kitchen lights to be turned off. Google responds by saying ok turning off all 44 lights. by the way i do not have 44 lights in my kitchen. Still working on video and audio control but seems to be similar to alexa in that it needs extensive setup when you have a large distribution system.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.