C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Lossless Audio

msgreenf

Just now, cdepaola said:

Just listened to Led Zeppelin Kashmir in both formats, both on Amazon Music, and the difference was marked immediately... I will say it was less noticeable had I not been doing a comparison, but back to back it was obviously better as High-Res

nice

4 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Just listened to Led Zeppelin Kashmir in both formats, both on Amazon Music, and the difference was marked immediately... I will say it was less noticeable had I not been doing a comparison, but back to back it was obviously better as High-Res

Thanks for confirming that this worked!  

4 hours ago, cdepaola said:

Thanks for the heads-up on this! Also, I was giving this a try and for the first time looked at doing some programming with Amazon Music in Composer HE. When I click on Amazon Music in the Actions pane, there are no options for anything. Is there no programming you can do with Amazon Music? 

First time post but long time observer.  First, thanks msgreenf for posting as I this has been on my radar. I subscribe to Tidal Lossless and I am in the process of trying Qobuz.  I am running the latest version of 2.10 (want to upgrade to 3.1 but still have an HC250 & a couple of IE touchscreens for now) and had Amazon Music (Prime) installed about a month ago along with Qobuz.  This morning I logged out of Amazon Music through C4 and then logged back in and now at least recognizes the new subscription to Unlimited but there doesn't seem to be anything indicating "HD" track selection.  I saw that cdepaola had success with seeing the High Res logos appearing but I am wondering if that is only for 3.0 and higher?  That said, when using Qobuz through C4 I can see the Hi-Rez logos to differentiate the tracks but as of now that is missing for Amazon Music HD.  Has anyone else experienced if using 2.10 or any suggestions? 

Additionally, I discovered that for the actual Amazon app itself (ios) I had to delete and reinstall after I updated my subscription in order to get it to display "HD" tracks.  Before it similar to what I am seeing through C4 now in that it recognized Unlimited but there were no differentiating Hi-Rez logos. After reinstalling you can easily see "Ultra HD or HD" logos on their app.  

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to share a quick update on my experience using Amazon HD music.  After having my dealer update the Amazon driver as well as the other native music drivers (and setting it up to auto update for the future updates - thanks again @msgreenf) I am pretty happy with the results.  The only drawback is that it still appears that if you are using OS 2.10 you cannot see any type of HD or UHD "Hi-Rez display or distinction" but my Marantz receiver confirms a 96khz incoming signal from the EA5.  Qobuz on OS 2.10 does allow you to visually see to pick and choose the Hi-Rez track. That said, I can only see them using my EA5 or Control4 app.  My older IE touchscreens will not show you which tracks are Hi-Rez.  As far as sound quality, I was going back and forth from Amazon HD to Qobuz for some A/B comparisons using the same track and I now cannot tell a difference.  Before subscribing to the upgraded Amazon HD platform I was actually using Amazon to show off the poor sound quality difference between their MP3 format and Qobuz HiRez.  At that time it was really like a night and day difference or at least between the tracks I was comparing. In my opinion, for the sound quality, music selection and price I think Amazon HD is now a real player in the streaming market and could be tough to beat.  

For the HC800 I believe it is 16 bit 44khz but others please correct me if I am wrong.  I did have Control4 reach back out to me after an email and they confirmed that the EA series controller is receiving and processing Amazon's Hi-Rez files even though you cannot see the resolution.  This is of course assuming you are using 2.10 as opposed to 3.X which would identify the resolution.  

The UI to show the track quality is a 3.0 feature.

Hi-rez audio is an EA controller feature.  Unfortunately, I don't know offhand the exact difference in the quality output of the HC series vs. the EA series, but that was one of the reasons for the EA series' development, High-resolution audio...

Added: What PorterTX posts above sounds about right: 16-bit up to 44kHz for the HC800, 24-bit up to 192kHz for the EA.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan.  I will add that Control4 was kind enough to take the request and pass it along to potentially add some type of additional track information to the Amazon driver.  This could look exactly how Qobuz does today if using 2.10 in that you can at least see which tracks are offered in Hi-Rez (it is limited information but something for now).  We will see if that comes to pass as clearly 3.X is the best route and the pathway to the future. 

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know the difference in Audio Resolution between the following setup;

• HC800 with multiroom Audio via Network connected Speaker Points - my current setup.
  • HC800 with multiroom Audio via Analogue Stereo Outputs inputted to Control4 C4-16ZAMSV3-B & Control4 Amplifier C4-AMP108 - what I am migrating to.

I believe that once the Speaker Points are removed I can set the HC800 into a Higher Resolution Audio Output, but not even sure what the system limit is at the moment using the Network connected Speaker Points?

Hi there, thanks for the prompt reply.

I don't know what the resolution of the existing Sound is, which is Digital Audio sent around my system over the Network to Speaker Points.

I generally listen to things like Spotify via the Connect Driver or Airplay Music to my Control4 system on my HC800.

I guess whatever I listen to, ultimately it is getting Digitized & sent over LAN to my little Speaker points, so I assume there is some inherent limitation doing it this way.

What I am hoping is that there is an incremental change when I get the Matrix and Amplifier fitted & do away with the Speaker points, as I believe the HC800 can be set into a Higher Res Audio mode which I am hoping to benefit from, but maybe I am mistaken on this?

If that doesn't cut the mustard then I may go down the route of EA3 or EA5.

But Step by Step & I was just being a bit Nerdy to find out what steps the system would go from to & what it could go to beyond that I guess.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.