C4 Forums | Control4

A Gazillion New Troubling Device Issues

The past few days my system has been theoretically improved quite a bit, but not without baffling problems.

A few weeks back I swapped out my Denon X3500 for an X8500 and updated and added 7.2.4 speakers. That upgrade was simple SDDP helped quite a bit and current x series Denon to Denon isn’t a challenge. My AVR also resides in a rack room and serves as an HDMI matrix to two rooms.

Now to the past few days. In these two rooms I swapped a Samsung 65Q9FN (that was working flawlessly) to my MBR and hung a new 75Q900R in its place. The 55NU800D was retired to the garage in the hopes my son will take it. (He’s a millennial that doesn’t watch TV, other than from his MacBook. Anyway, simple stuff, right. Same driver on the 65Q9FN. Well, it’s plagued with problems.

1. The two independent Rokus lost all control. Apps would launch, but no control. Triple checked everything, eventually C4 had us remove the driver completely and reinstall the devices and bindings. The driver had an update, but that was done after we got it to work. That’s solved.

2. The 65Q9FN that was moved takes forever to power on via C4. The apps launch, but “sometimes” no control. There are two dedicated TiVo boxes to each of these rooms, the MBR seems to lose control. Volume and launching is fine, so seems the Denon is fine.

3. The Samsung M9700 BluRay player is matrixed also and worked fine. Now it will not turn on via C4. Once I turn it on, shortly after I can control.

4. On a side note, I added several Caseta devices and the Pro driver fir the bridge is limiting me to the old 50 device ID max rule. The Pro supports 75 now. I’m boneheaded, so I figured I had an old driver and found what looked like a more current one, so I added that driver and deleted the old one. Same driver!! Two found when I searched the database. Now I have to remind 60 plus Caseta devices. My bad. But the 50 device limit can’t be the case.

5. Lastly, and unrelated, I cloned my Orbi system with what seemed like a very robust Pakedge system. I have an RK-1, SW24, 2 - SX-8’s (for PoE+) and 3 of my 4 WX-1 running. The wireless is horrid. No more than 50gb speed anywhere in the house and cannot connect to the director through composer. It’s brutal. The good news is it’s a clone, so I can have the Orbi back up and running quickly until I get this figured out. Would there be a need or benefit to add a wireless controller? (NK-1)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’m baffled.

Thanks - Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrary to your last statement, network setup is possibly the most related to your problems.  Maybe your networking skills are top notch.... I have no idea.  I'm just sensing network issues.  You really need to start there before moving forward. 

Did you power cycle each device after you reserved the ip addresses in the router?  How are all the switches connected?  Star topology?  Daisy Chain?  Hopefully no "loops".

For the devices that need to be static (although not recommended for all devices) allow for a range of static ip's in the router and start the dhcp server range above it.  DHCP reserve important devices and power cycle them right after.  Make sure to adjust the transmission power on your waps so you achieve -70 db at the midpoint.  The NK1 is just for managing all your waps in one place instead of logging into them individually. 

Contrary to your last statement, network setup is possibly the most related to your problems.  Maybe your networking skills are top notch.... I have no idea.  I'm just sensing network issues.  You really need to start there before moving forward. 
Did you power cycle each device after you reserved the ip addresses in the router?  How are all the switches connected?  Star topology?  Daisy Chain?  Hopefully no "loops".
For the devices that need to be static (although not recommended for all devices) allow for a range of static ip's in the router and start the dhcp server range above it.  DHCP reserve important devices and power cycle them right after.  Make sure to adjust the transmission power on your waps so you achieve -70 db at the midpoint.  The NK1 is just for managing all your waps in one place instead of logging into them individually. 

Thanks@dcovach.

Except for adjusting the Tx power on the WAPs, I did everything above. I was fairly methodical about it. I cloned my Orbi res table and even used the same SSID. I’m going on to look at the WAPs now. I’m also going to rethink my wiring. All remote cabling is pulled into a 6A punchdown and our to a switch. The local devices are cables direct to the switch. I have to look to see if the WAPs are direct to the SX-8 for PoE+.

I wonder if you have too much AP overlap and noise - anyone can plug in APs and hang em - but not anyone can make everything work right

Thanks always! @msgreenf

I’ve been surveying that this morning and it’s hard to tell, since they’re crawling. Thing is, most of these issues were present prior to the network swap. That happened lay day two (yesterday). These problems started after programming and install. day 1.

then you aren't really surveying.  Surveying a wifi network doesn't mean walking around and trying things.  A survey walks around with a monitor and looks at the signal to noise ratio as Dan pointed out above.  Here is an example on how to conduct a survey - 

then you aren't really surveying.  Surveying a wifi network doesn't mean walking around and trying things.  A survey walks around with a monitor and looks at the signal to noise ratio as Dan pointed out above.  Here is an example on how to conduct a survey - 

Yes Mitch. This is precisely what I’m doing. On a side note, regardless the position, the 2.4 isn’t cutting it. The 5 is seemingly strong. I have them both on the same SSID.

I don't recommend that - that causes a lot of problems

I wasn’t keen on it either Mitch. That one of those “work arounds” you and I discuss seems to happen here, until
we end up fixing it. But as for the c4 programming being broken, the system was working excellent until the TV got moved frankly. The Orbi swap wasn’t until the next day.

If you can't connect to your director on the new Wi-Fi then chances are the IP scheme is not correct which could also be causing issues with devices not seeing each other

Depending upon where I am in the house, I can connect to the EA. So it’s not everywhere. But oddly, where I can connect is broadcasting no better on my meter than where I cannot. Very strange.

What modem/router combo unit are you using?  Has it been "dumbed" down to just a modem?

Thanks Dan. I have my customer owned cable modem service from Comcast. The only one with telephony approved for Comcast. A Pakedge RK-1 Router, an older S24P8 switch, SX-8 (2) PoE+ switch and 4 WX-1 WAPs. All Cat6a.

All locals are direct to the switch. All external cables come into the punch first. All WAPs to the SX-8’s direct fir PoE+

22 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Thanks Dan. I have my customer owned cable modem service from Comcast. The only one with telephony approved for Comcast. A Pakedge RK-1 Router, an older S24P8 switch, SX-8 (2) PoE+ switch and 4 WX-1 WAPs. All Cat6a.

All locals are direct to the switch. All external cables come into the punch first. All WAPs to the SX-8’s direct fir PoE+

are you a dealer?  call tech support?

are you not a dealer - have your dealer call tech support especially since you have Pakedge equipment. 

30 minutes ago, time2jet said:

I don't really know exactly what that all means.....  I also still don't know which modem you have.  Some ISP modem/router combo's need certain features enabled for phone/cable tv while most others allow you the ability to turn off all commercial features (DHCP server, firewall, etc...).  <--recommended 100% if you can.

Best setup is this.  Modem <-- router <-- primary switch <-- all other switches and the rest of the ethernet cables.  POE devices connected to POE switch (obviously)

Latest firmware on all pakedge gear is a good idea.  There's no reason why you can't use pakedge, even if you aren't a dealer.  You just won't get support from C4.  It's not rocket science to set up pakedge but it also doesn't take rocket science to set up the network wrong either.

1 minute ago, dcovach said:

I don't really know exactly what that all means.....  I also still don't know which modem you have.  Some modem/router combo's need certain features enabled for phone/cable tv while most others give you the ability to turn off all commercial features (DHCP server, firewall, etc...).

Best setup is this.  Modem <-- router <-- primary switch <-- all other switches and the rest of the ethernet cables.  POE devices connected to POE switch (obviously)

this is well said.  Is your modem and router both doing DHCP reservations?  Are you in some sort of NAT loop?  The benefit to paying premium $$ for pakedge over other solutions is you get c4 tech support that knows how the network should be configured specifically for C4

get your money's worth and get a tech involved

are you a dealer?  call tech support?
are you not a dealer - have your dealer call tech support especially since you have Pakedge equipment. 

I consult on matters unrelated to a dealer. I cover T&M. That was my next move. Like to start here. Thanks

I don't really know exactly what that all means.....  I also still don't know which modem you have.  Some ISP modem/router combo's need certain features enabled for phone/cable tv while most others allow you the ability to turn off all commercial features (DHCP server, firewall, etc...).  Best setup is this.  Modem  
Latest firmware on all pakedge gear is a good idea.  There's no reason why you can't use pakedge, even if you aren't a dealer.  You just won't get support from C4.  It's not rocket science to set up pakedge but it also doesn't take rocket science to set up the network wrong either.

Latest Firmware.

Service in Comcast

Modem is Netgear CM1150V

Out to
Router Pakedge RK-1

From RK-1 Out to both
Switch with PoE+ Pakedge SX-8
Switch S24P8

All WAPs at PoE+

33 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Latest Firmware.

Service in Comcast

Modem is Netgear CM1150V

Out to
Router Pakedge RK-1

From RK-1 Out to both
Switch with PoE+ Pakedge SX-8
Switch S24P8

All WAPs at PoE+

By your description, it doesn't sound like the optimal setup for the router.  Unless there's a need for vlan's (zones), only the primary switch should be the connected to the router.  The SX24P is managed so let it do its job as a primary.  All the rest of the switches and waps should be connected to the primary switch.  A Flat network is the best option.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.