C4 Forums | Control4

A Gazillion New Troubling Device Issues

And as dcovach said. Your router should connect to only 1 switch. Then secondary switch to primary switch. 

I’m sorry. That wasn’t clear. The PoE+ switch is connected to the main switch, not the router. Only thing connected to the router is internet in from the modem and out to the main switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, time2jet said:

I’m sorry. That wasn’t clear. The PoE+ switch is connected to the main switch, not the router. Only thing connected to the router is internet in from the modem and out to the main switch.

Try separating the ssid let us know how it goes. Also update all firmware if you didn’t yet. 

I’ve separated the SSIDs and although there is some improvement on 1 of the APs, it otherwise still horrid.

A few things are apparent. Only 1 AP likes going outside (to the internet)of the Network and that’s also still pretty sluggish. If I survey signal, I have to disconnect and reconnect to jump to the next AP in order to maintain speed. Regardless of the speed of the wireless, it still is very sluggish if it even will load a webpage.

I ordered an NK-1 controller. I’m going to start fresh (cookbook style) from a clean boot of the modem>router>switches>AP’s and making sure to power cycle each device on the network. Making sure to update all of the firmware etc.

I’ll have my dealer here working with me on several things Monday all day, but they stopped supporting Pakedge in lieu of Luxul over the last few years. They’ll definitely be helpful, but I’m not sure they’ll have access to BakPak or C4 support. I was pretty deadset on Pakedge because of the C4 relationship. I hope they’ll support us.

9 hours ago, tekki70 said:
it sounds like there was a vlan setup in your packedge gear for your network utilizing ports where the orbi was connected, now that the orbi isn't connected, your vlan is broke. just a thought

The Orbi was the entire prior wireless system. It's not on the new Pakedge system.

9 hours ago, tekki70 said:

it sounds like there was a vlan setup in your packedge gear for your network utilizing ports where the orbi was connected, now that the orbi isn't connected, your vlan is broke. just a thought

But... most of the Pakedge system was purchased used... I need to start fresh and factory reset every piece. 

ya I bet whoever had the packedge setup, did priorities , maybe even port mapping, your best bet is to factory, start fresh  do as others have stated, router connected to modem, core switch should be the only device connected to your router Lan and than all other switches connected to your core switch, good luck

11 minutes ago, tekki70 said:

ya I bet whoever had the packedge setup, did priorities , maybe even port mapping, your best bet is to factory, start fresh  do as others have stated, router connected to modem, core switch should be the only device connected to your router Lan and than all other switches connected to your core switch, good luck

yup - totally - you should always factory reset used gear...

I have a good feeling about this now. Let’s confirm the physical setup.

Modem to Router
Router to Main Switch
Main Switch to Devices & PoE+ Switch
Poe+ Switch to APs

Where do I install the NK-1 Wireless Controller?

On another note (and this will be all reset with the factory resets) my integrator created a range of new reserved IPs other than the router default. Then named the SSID the same as the Orbi, including security and password. He tried to clone the Orbi system so it would be “flip a switch”. Great idea in theory. Not sure how many issues that created when changing the router default IP and the default dhcp reserve range. One of the new AP IPs conflicted with my Nest Hello Doorbell. So that AP IP was changed again.

What about band steering on the APs? Right now, it’s the only way I can get anything even slightly working. But my guess is all of this has to do with some old settings stuck in the past setups and will resolve once the system is reset, firmware updated (all but SX-8 is updated - that requires a Pakedge login).

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the learned input. I’m sure you all understand my frustration. I’m literally stressed out over all of this. I’m tearing it all down tonight and starting clean. I’m guessing I’ll be posting issues and progress, so try to go easy on me. I’m seriously only trying to get it to a point to get some remote help. I’m not pretending to be an expert, in fact a novice at best. You network guys blow my mind. It’s just so far above my pay grade.

I do have some simple questions regarding best practices. If you were to completely dumb down the process of initial setup? I’m absolutely going to reset each network appliance from the modem all the way to the WAPs. I’ll make sure all is also firmware updated.

As for IPs and DHCP res. I’ve read some conflicting info on this forum. What device IPs should be static? What IPs should be reserved in my dhcp table? I’m xfinity, best dns? Google or Comcast? Ea-5 Zigbee channel? Scan or choose? VLans?

One thing I’ll obviously do first is to make a record of my existing dhcp res table. I’d save that config and reload it, but I don’t know what might reload with it, so I’d rather just recreate it.

What is the best practice boot sequence of network appliances and system devices?

39 minutes ago, Cartnj said:

I personally would have no static addresses. I prefer all reserved for essential devices. Can you change the zigbee channel using he?

Correct - no need to use static IP's for anything.  Use DHCP reservations.  This allows you to manage IP allocations from one central location.  Be sure to backup your router configuration in case you need to restore some day.. and keep all of your DHCP reservations in tact.

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Correct - no need to use static IP's for anything.  Use DHCP reservations.  This allows you to manage IP allocations from one central location.  Be sure to backup your router configuration in case you need to restore some day.. and keep all of your DHCP reservations in tact.

@LollerAgent

Thanks guys!  The 4 WAP'S, DHCP or Static?  He has them static right now before I tear this thing apart tonight.

if dhcp, reserve these?

17 minutes ago, Cartnj said:

Maybe it’s time for a new dealer if he can’t get your network straight 

Will Pakedge support "any" C4 dealer?  When I asked for my SX PoE+ switch to be firmware updated (that piece requires a login), my dealer says they cannot login because they don't have the PCNA certifications.

2 hours ago, time2jet said:

Will Pakedge support "any" C4 dealer?  When I asked for my SX PoE+ switch to be firmware updated (that piece requires a login), my dealer says they cannot login because they don't have the PCNA certifications.

yes, i already told you that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.