C4 Forums | Control4

A Gazillion New Troubling Device Issues

I’m tiptoeing into this tonight. It’s been a long week and I travel for the next two weeks. So I’m planning on getting as much done as I can this weekend. Tonight, I was too burnt out to do much.

Couple of things I did notice. WAPs are all 4 static (as I mentioned) from the initial setup (that never worked), but they are addressed within the dhcp range (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.253)at .249,.250.251 &.252. I always thought that was a no no and static’s were supposed to be outside of the reserve range? I could be nuts. Thought I had learned that years ago.

Regardless, and since it’s been suggested by all of you, the WAPs will be dhcp (and reserved), I already moved one to dhcp and reserved its IP and noticed a decent change. Not enough, but a start. Then I switched another to dhcp and haven’t reserved its IP yet and it seemed to wreck the system again. Now, I have decent wireless signal, but still can’t connect outside and all wired devices are sluggish at best. I’m hoping that once I get the other 3 WAPs to dhcp and reserved and add the NK-1 controller to adjust them, I might be onto something. I’m still going to reset the entire network, each appliance and each device in sequence. I’d just like to get that squared away, my reservations set up or at least have a spreadsheet to re-reserve when I factory reset, before I start rebuilding it flat and properly sequenced.

Try to go easy on me. I’m always very appreciative of the help and I try to learn the first time so that I can also pass along knowledge or at least know who to point someone to when an issue comes up that I see is in someone’s wheelhouse. And there’s a ton of story behind the dealer situation, so suggesting I find a new dealer isn’t an option. If you’d like to PM me, I guarantee you, you’ll understand. At this point I really let them just do the difficult installation work and some initial device setup (which honestly I can do myself) and then unfortunately I have to have a particular very highly qualified remote programmer here help “fix” it, but network, and specifically Pakedge, isn’t everyone’s skill set. Plus it’s remote and I’ve got the heavy lifting to do here first before I beg someone to jump in remotely. I’m not above asking, just trying to get to a place that can happen.

Thanks guys. I’m in over my head and I’m very very stressed out going one almost 10 days. Again, please try to go easy on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like you might have a switch looped. Be sure that you have one cable going from the modem to router. One lan from router to the s24. and one lan to each of the sx-8p to the s24.  check that no Ethernet cable is plugged into the switch twice by mistake. 

to simplify this try plugging in one device at a time while have a test device streaming as many things as you can at one time.  wait a few moments before plugging in the next device to see if it is the one causing the issue.

sounds like you might have a switch looped. Be sure that you have one cable going from the modem to router. One lan from router to the s24. and one lan to each of the sx-8p to the s24.  check that no Ethernet cable is plugged into the switch twice by mistake. 
to simplify this try plugging in one device at a time while have a test device streaming as many things as you can at one time.  wait a few moments before plugging in the next device to see if it is the one causing the issue.

@Matt Lowe

Thanks Matt -

You’re likely right. I’m convinced it’s a loop. Thank this community, everyone has been so helpful. I’m so appreciative. I was seriously at about a 10 stress level, even this morning. I’m at about a 4 now.

But are you saying to lan the SX and the S24 each independent from the router? If so, I read the previous posts and a PM wrong. I have the SX lanned our of the main (S24) switch. I also have the NK lanned out of the main switch. Only thing I have out of the router is the main switch. I feel like that’s inefficient. Seems like the SX and NK should be lanned out of the router or even the NK out of the SX since all of the WAPs are connected to the SX.

I want to get that right and start looking for loops with the method you’ve suggested. I am so afraid to unplug anything right now (see next).

On a side note, with every little thing I’ve done this weekend, it’s improved. I can go out to the internet from every part of the house and the Ethernet seems much more stable. I seriously have combed every setting on every appliance in this network. And for those that know Pakedge, that’s a ton of settings. A lot are redundant.

Also splitting out the 2.4/5 SSID’s made a difference.

What about all of the Pakedge stuff? Static/DHCP? Reservations? It seems like since I did reservations for the WAPs things improved drastically.

Haha, spoke too effing soon. Once again, the network degrades after an hour or two. Makes a loop sound pretty likely. So, I just got my Sonos back on the new SSID and I guess I have to add back in all of my TP-Link bulbs “one at a time”, but the Sonos is completely horrid. In and out.

Do these Sonos macs get reserves? Never had them reserved before, but it would make sense to let them have their own parking space saved. I guess I’m just thinking that might help like it seemed to for other devices. Since all of the IPs have changed since re-adding. I have to fix them in C4, don’t want to go through this again. So I should do a reservation for all of these Sonos devices?

All of the bulbs are reserved... thank you baby jesus. I assume once I rediscover in the Kasa App they’ll find their ip in the res table? Seems like a pain to have to rediscover I. The app just because I changed routers.

Agreed Eggz

Sonos is probably causing a broadcast storm in your network.  Perfect symptoms of works good for a bit, then bam, all shit hits the fan.

How is your Sonos equipment connecting to the network?

Switch loops are easily identified.  Don’t have more than one cable connecting switches, unless you’re doing it for a reason and know how to config that. Pretty simple.

You need someone local.  The story of your existing dealer doesn’t matter.  Your blowing money on good equipment and having extremely poor performance.

Thats like buying Eleanor and keeping her in the garage.

The NK1 is useless, just pull it out and try to sell it used.

Everything else can be salvaged for a decent network.  Keep it flat, with the exception of IGMP/RTSP settings (if required) and it will work.

Agreed Eggz
Sonos is probably causing a broadcast storm in your network.  Perfect symptoms of works good for a bit, then bam, all shit hits the fan.
How is your Sonos equipment connecting to the network?
Switch loops are easily identified.  Don’t have more than one cable connecting switches, unless you’re doing it for a reason and know how to config that. Pretty simple.
You need someone local.  The story of your existing dealer doesn’t matter.  Your blowing money on good equipment and having extremely poor performance.
Thats like buying Eleanor and keeping her in the garage.
The NK1 is useless, just pull it out and try to sell it used.
Everything else can be salvaged for a decent network.  Keep it flat, with the exception of IGMP/RTSP settings (if required) and it will work.

Thanks @lippavisual

2 playbars are ethernet with optical for. One room also has a sub and surrounds (wireless).

Thanks for the encouragement. I’d about given up on the equipment. I’m getting someone in here to get this right.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:07 PM, time2jet said:

2 playbars are ethernet with optical for. One room also has a sub and surrounds (wireless).

This is most likely the issue. You have to be very careful with connecting two Sonos devices with a hard-wire as you risk looping the network if the network equipment can't handle STP properly.

Now since you have wireless Sonos devices involved, you can only shut off WiFi on one of them. Which every Playbar is closest to the other wireless Sonos devices, leave it alone don't touch any of the settings. You want to disable WiFi on the *other* wired Playbar. From the Sonos app go to settings, then System, then choose the Room of the Playbar you want to turn WiFi off. Then click on Playbar under Products. Choose to Disable Wi-Fi.

Give it 5 -10 mins for the network to figure itself out (or it might even be wise to reboot the router and network switches to clear the ARP tables).

33 minutes ago, EverAction said:

This is most likely the issue. You have to be very careful with connecting two Sonos devices with a hard-wire as you risk looping the network if the network equipment can't handle STP properly.

Now since you have wireless Sonos devices involved, you can only shut off WiFi on one of them. Which every Playbar is closest to the other wireless Sonos devices, leave it alone don't touch any of the settings. You want to disable WiFi on the *other* wired Playbar. From the Sonos app go to settings, then System, then choose the Room of the Playbar you want to turn WiFi off. Then click on Playbar under Products. Choose to Disable Wi-Fi.

Give it 5 -10 mins for the network to figure itself out (or it might even be wise to reboot the router and network switches to clear the ARP tables).

Thank you.  I will try this when I get home this evening.  The more I've read about Sonos wreaking network havoc, the more I am convinced that this is a very potential factor, and it it isn't "the" issue, it will become one.

I’m sure glad you all couldn’t hear my 10 minute expletive rage. I rushed home excited to try this and unbeknownst to me, only one Playbar is Ethernet. The other is wireless, like the Sonos Ones on the system. And that Playbar apparently fell off of the system when I split out and renamed the SSIDs. I’m struggling to get it to recognize to add it back. I was somehow able to with the Ones.

Saga continues.

On 10/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, time2jet said:

I’m sure glad you all couldn’t hear my 10 minute expletive rage. I rushed home excited to try this and unbeknownst to me, only one Playbar is Ethernet. The other is wireless, like the Sonos Ones on the system. And that Playbar apparently fell off of the system when I split out and renamed the SSIDs. I’m struggling to get it to recognize to add it back. I was somehow able to with the Ones.

Saga continues.

If the Playbar is wired, why would changing around SSID's affect its connectivity? Or the connectivity of the other wireless Sonos players?

Once one Sonos is wired, the whole setup should be in a "Wired" setup, aka the wireless players are not connecting to the network via WiFi but through the Sonos mesh. If you have a player Wired and other players are still connected via WiFi, then it is still not setup properly.

Maybe copy the info from "About My System" in the Sonos app and post it here.

40 minutes ago, EverAction said:

If the Playbar is wired, why would changing around SSID's affect its connectivity? Or the connectivity of the other wireless Sonos players?

Once one Sonos is wired, the whole setup should be in a "Wired" setup, aka the wireless players are not connecting to the network via WiFi but through the Sonos mesh. If you have a player Wired and other players are still connected via WiFi, then it is still not setup properly.

Maybe copy the info from "About My System" in the Sonos app and post it here.

I turns out, that NOTHING is ethernet. Although there's a cable plugged into one of the Playbars, it's not connected to the balun to return to the switch.

Regarding the network, over the weekend I disconnected my switch just to see if I could diagnose a loop.  So the setup became modem>RK-1 Router>SX-8P PoE+ Switch>4 WX-1 WAPS and nothing changed.  Still shows robust amount of wireless signal, but unless I am near 1 of 2 WAPs, I cannot go out to the internet.

Another strange situation is that my Lutron Caseta system can not longer be controlled from C4, it works fine through the Caseta app.  It's ip is reserved and correct, nothing changed... but when I scan the ip's it shows up as ipv6.  When I test ivp6 on the system it fails.  Might have nothing to do with it, but just an observation.

Regarding the network, I'm down to thinking the router or the PoE switch may be bad.  I need to swap a few ports for the WAPs that work versus don't to see if that shows any change.

11 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Yes, they are.  I assume they are actually all connected to 1 particular WAP and that one is the one that has the most issues actually.  

Need to stop with the assumptions. :)

Mirroring what @lippavisual said it sounds like your Sonos is still misconfigured. Please post the "About My System" from your Sonos app so we can eliminate the guessing.

1 minute ago, EverAction said:

Need to stop with the assumptions. :)

Mirroring what @lippavisual said it sounds like your Sonos is still misconfigured. Please post the "About My System" from your Sonos app so we can eliminate the guessing.

@lippavisual @Cartnj @eggzlot @msgreenf I'll will post that Sonos info when I get home tonight. All of this is seriously appreciated guys. 

[mention=122379]lippavisual[/mention] [mention=141082]Cartnj[/mention] [mention=134790]eggzlot[/mention] [mention=129290]msgreenf[/mention] I'll will post that Sonos info when I get home tonight. All of this is seriously appreciated guys. 

Here is the system. There are only 4 devices currently on. Lost 6 in the SSID change. But right now, that’s not the problem.

Have a look (the screenshots overlap)

9d74e6b77d9b909563f27ed540ecbe83.jpg55279b9fb07b8161ed3647412f10ea47.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.