C4 Forums | Control4

Reworking the racks

ILoveC4

I have a real love hate relationship with rack work. Doing this tonight solo - and extra set of hands sure speeds things up. Got another AVR to mount along with a couple 2U shelves for sources. 

The rack on the right will be coming with me to the new house, while the rack on the left will stay. It’s been tricky getting everything separated, while keeping it all working together until the day I’m ready to disconnect and move mine out. Should be done soon. 

I’d love to hear from you professionals what your methodology is around which equipment occupies which part of the rack. 

49BD5530-AD30-4C59-B1AD-C895F3162931.jpeg

depends on the equipment.

if the equipment is vented through the front to the back make sure it is stacked closes. if its vented through top be sure to leave space along the top for venting.

heaviest equipment on the bottom

try to have power outlets available divided evenly.  or a vertical strip at the back

use the wire run to hide the cables dont bundle them in a big bunch.

2 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

depends on the equipment.

if the equipment is vented through the front to the back make sure it is stacked closes. if its vented through top be sure to leave space along the top for venting.

heaviest equipment on the bottom

try to have power outlets available divided evenly.  or a vertical strip at the back

use the wire run to hide the cables dont bundle them in a big bunch.

That all makes sense. I don't really have anything that vents out the front so I've left adequate space. Can you clarify what you mean with the last sentence though? Use the wire run? Are you just talking about tucking them in the back corner of the rack?

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

if you have a real long cable take the longest path to the destination to use as much of the cable in the run so you are not left with a huge bundle some where along the run.

Gotcha. Yeah, agreed 100%. My plan this time is to try and put the power down one side, and everything else down the other side.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:22 AM, ILoveC4 said:

I’d love to hear from you professionals what your methodology is around which equipment occupies which part of the rack

Problem is that every system is a little different - and sometimes you just have to 'deal' with whatever wire length you're given (especially when other trades happily cut or move your wires 😤)

But generally, weight at the bottom! (amps, surround receivers). Then for ease of wiring usually matrix next moving up, then video switch if you're using it for audio output (C4 LU series, JAP etc) from sources, then sources.

Controller placement and networking is usually up high, unless there's lots of local devices needing IR or serial, then there could be an IO mid-rack.

We used to try and get video at the top to get 'rid' of all the wires for it early on, but with HDMI more and more being the only connection, we're using HDMI switches with it built in, so they've shifted to be closer to the audio matrix.

This is of course assuming single rack setup. When doing multiple rack, wiring efficiency comes into play.

7 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Gotcha. Yeah, agreed 100%. My plan this time is to try and put the power down one side, and everything else down the other side.

This is a good method, though depending on layout and rack we also do power in the 'middle' of one side keeping all other wires towards the 'back'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.