C4 Forums | Control4

PSA: Apple TV tvOS 13 killed my remote programming

pinkoos

9 hours ago, Jane M. said:

If the AppleTV beta software was also bricking our C4 remotes (and there were a lot of betas i'm sure) why wasn't this more publicized? 

It would have been nice if C4, our dealers, or anyone would have told us not to install.  

Probably will take my dealer 2 weeks to get to me.  I guess i will use the Apple Remote.  Yuck.

This is all Apple’s fault with their shitty IP integration that necessitated this even shittier new version of the IP driver for Gen 4 AppleTVs.

Not sure why it’s Control4’s fault or responsibility to warn customers about a third party product that the customer may/may not own. Not to mention when the new IP driver was released they recommended everyone switch over ASAP as they would have no idea if/when Apple decided to kill it off functionality of the old IP driver.

Your anger is misdirected, this is all Apple’s fault. 

Just now, Dunamivora said:

Or a Control4 controller that has IR at each location.

Okay, I do believe I have IR at each location already, so the driver can just piggyback on the pre-existing blaster at each location?

Also, if I do have the setup already in place, will it require a truck roll from my dealer to configure, or is it something he can do remotely?  Just trying to get a sense how long this will take to in terms of my dealer having to fit me into his schedule vs. just remoting in at some point

Thanks

3 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Okay, I do believe I have IR at each location already, so the driver can just piggyback on the pre-existing blaster at each location?

Also, if I do have the setup already in place, will it require a truck roll from my dealer to configure, or is it something he can do remotely?  Just trying to get a sense how long this will take to in terms of my dealer having to fit me into his schedule vs. just remoting in at some point

Thanks

That would be your dealer's preference, but I know I would want to be on-site verifying everything worked with this big of a change.

I ended up going the IR route .... and I got customized commands that mimic how the IP driver worked on the ATV 4K's :) (especially Guide/Menu/Cancel)

I had my dealer take care of it all for $35... highly recommend him.  He can do it remotely in minutes and super nice guy.  

Here's his info in case anyone here wants to use him as well (Vincent) https://www.facebook.com/VINCELdUB

3 minutes ago, chita79 said:

I ended up going the IR route .... and I got customized commands that mimic how the IP driver worked on the ATV 4K's :) (especially Guide/Menu/Cancel)

I had my dealer take care of it all for $35... highly recommend him.  He can do it remotely in minutes and super nice guy.  

Here's his info in case anyone here wants to use him as well (Vincent) https://www.facebook.com/VINCELdUB

So you already had IR blasters at each location?  Do they need to be stuck directly on the Apple TVs?

1 minute ago, pinkoos said:

So you already had IR blasters at each location?  Do they need to be stuck directly on the Apple TVs?

Yes, but i have all the ATV's in a rack in one location so i just went back to IR's to each.... I stuck them to the devices... the IR eye goes just left of the power light on front. 

40 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

I got a question. Does the integration get broken with all of the Apple TV's?  I thought it only applied to the 4k one.  Are the 2nd gen and 3rd gen also affected??

The second and third gen can't update to tvOS 13. 3rd gen had an update recently, but I'm not sure if that broke it too. I don't have a third gen to try myself.

1 minute ago, dew1551 said:

The ones I have are all 4K latest gen. I have 5 of them. All work once paired after the update to tvos13. 

So there is a way to get the old IP driver to work under OS 2.9?

Or you’re referring to the latest official driver being used in OS 2.10?

The latest ip driver works fine. It just needs to be paired to the Apple TV after this upgrade to tvos13. The procedure is different than in the past. 

Actually, I have the latest IP driver, an EA controller and the latest AppleTV OS. While the Control4 pairing works, it disconnects every day or two, and I have to go through the pairing process again to get it working again. I’m very unpopular with my spouse right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, drro said:

Actually, I have the latest IP driver, an EA controller and the latest AppleTV OS. While the Control4 pairing works, it disconnects every day or two, and I have to go through the pairing process again to get it working again. I’m very unpopular with my spouse right now.

Make sure the bridge driver is updated to v39 and the ATV driver to v26.

I heard those versions should fix the control issues.

The other work around was making a button to refresh the bridge driver which can be done from Composer HE and Pro in programming.

5 hours ago, drro said:

I’m having the same issue with the new IP driver. Works for a few days then stops. I then have to reboot my EA3 or Apple TV to get it working again. Very frustrating. 

i just sent an email to my dealer to check that I have the latest versions of the ATV and Bridge drivers. I hope updating those fixes this issue. 

Can the Control4 remote just learn the Apple TV commands, rather than having to use IP/IR drivers for functionality?

If not, my options seem to be:

1. Truck roll to run IR to a couple of locations and/or see if there's extra CAT5 in those locations to splice IR into; either way, there will be a truck roll and labor/programming charges

2. Bite the bullet and upgrade to an EA controller (which I had been holding off doing and wasn't necessary for the upgrades I got done back in October), so that I can upgrade the Director and then just use the latest IP driver; again, truck roll and programming charges involved (not to mention the cost of the new controller)

If there's any way the SR250 or SR260 can just learn the commands, that would be great, but I have a feeling that is not possible

6 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Can the Control4 remote just learn the Apple TV commands, rather than having to use IP/IR drivers for functionality?

If not, my options seem to be:

1. Truck roll to run IR to a couple of locations and/or see if there's extra CAT5 in those locations to splice IR into; either way, there will be a truck roll and labor/programming charges

2. Bite the bullet and upgrade to an EA controller (which I had been holding off doing and wasn't necessary for the upgrades I got done back in October), so that I can upgrade the Director and then just use the latest IP driver; again, truck roll and programming charges involved (not to mention the cost of the new controller)

If there's any way the SR250 or SR260 can just learn the commands, that would be great, but I have a feeling that is not possible

They can't learn anything at all. They have to have the C4 system to function and that requires the drivers.

You are correct about your two options.

1 minute ago, Dunamivora said:

They can't learn anything at all. They have to have the C4 system to function and that requires the drivers.

You are correct about your two options.

Sucks that what I thought was a simple software upgrade is now going to cost me hundreds of dollars (not laying blame anywhere, simply stating that it sucks)

And, to paraphrase drro above:  I, too, am pretty unpopular with my family right now - nobody likes the crappy Apple TV 4K remote (including me)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.