C4 Forums | Control4

PSA: Apple TV tvOS 13 killed my remote programming

pinkoos

17 minutes ago, Anish said:

That’s the one I’m having an issue with

Have you tried hitting the refresh action on the Apple Bridge driver in Composer HE?

Or had your dealer set up a button to program the refresh?

I would also check the Apple Bridge and Apple TV drivers are the latest. Updating the drivers fixed the no control issues on a lot of systems.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:22 PM, pinkoos said:

Just upgraded all four of our 4K Apple TVs and realized that I can no longer control the Apple TV with my Control4 remote

I guess whatever tvOS 13's changes are, one of them must be changes in remote commands or something like that

Anybody have any idea what needs to be done in order to get functionality back to my Control4 remotes?

Something I can possibly do via Composer HE?  Or will I need to get my dealer involved (which may take a while before he can get to it)?

EDIT:  Just tested the Control4 app on my iPhone and that, too, no longer works to control the Apple TV

Will have to resort back to the original Apple TV remote until this gets figured out

Thanks

My dealer informed me that the new 'official' apple TV 4K ip driver wont work on my HC800 so have reverted to the IR driver. At least the sleep works now. 

2 hours ago, wiley said:

My dealer informed me that the new 'official' apple TV 4K ip driver wont work on my HC800 so have reverted to the IR driver. At least the sleep works now. 

correct, HC series controllers are too old for the new driver

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

correct, HC series controllers are too old for the new driver

I suspect they have the processing power...I cant think of a technical reason why they cannot support the driver other than the fact that either apple or C4 cant be bothered writing a driver for the HC series!

3 minutes ago, wiley said:

I suspect they have the processing power...I cant think of a technical reason why they cannot support the driver other than the fact that either apple or C4 cant be bothered writing a driver for the HC series!

Cause you don't know the technical details - they have different OS and processing architectures and Control4 didn't write it for the older architecture....

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Cause you don't know the technical details - they have different OS and processing architectures and Control4 didn't write it for the older architecture....

Actually I did know about the move from flash to Android and have a hardware engineering and software background so please don't make assumptions : - )
My point was that the HC800 could run a driver for this as ip drivers used to work on the HC series for the apple TV 4K - this is a choice by the driver author, not a technical constraint of the HC800.

5 minutes ago, wiley said:

Actually I did know about the move from flash to Android and have a hardware engineering and software background so please don't make assumptions : - )
My point was that the HC800 could run a driver for this as ip drivers used to work on the HC series for the apple TV 4K - this is a choice by the driver author, not a technical constraint of the HC800.

Don't make assumptions that it has anything to do with Flash to android. It was from a 32 bit to a 64 bit os.

33 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

HC800 shipped on 1/30/2012 - That is a good run.  The iphone 4s was released Oct 2011.  how far can that be upgraded?

EA's started shipping 1/26/16.  

OK so its a commercial decision, likely not a technical one. Of course no platform lasts forever so an update to EA or whatever comes after is a certainty. The IR solution works so all good. 

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

It's 64 vs 32 bit os. Note I don't work or speak for control4 just sharing what I am told

OK but surely is we had an IP driver (albeit not certified) on a 32 bit OS then not a huge stretch to expect it could be rewritten for a 64 bit one. Just wondering what restrictions would exist on a 64 bit platform that didnt exist on a 32 bit one. Probably diminishing returns on this thread but am genuinely interested. There must have been many other drivers that would need to be ported to the new 64 bit architecture as well.

1 hour ago, wiley said:

HC800 cannot run the required software that the EAs and the CA10 can.

11 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

No this was choice by the API author

It still baffles me how there is even a discussion around this. Apple made the requirements for the API, Control4 is just following their lead. IIRC Savant and Crestron are also dealing with the same exact issue, also going the IR route.

Apple has singlehandedly created this issue (many times over I may add).

Just now, EverAction said:

It still baffles me how there is even a discussion around this. Apple made the requirements for the API, Control4 is just following their lead. IIRC Savant and Crestron are also dealing with the same exact issue, also going the IR route.

Apple has singlehandedly created this issue (many times over I may add).

Cause Apple is perfect!  They are the Perfect tech company - no bugs, no problems (how many releases of iOS 13 already)?

17 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Cause Apple is perfect!  They are the Perfect tech company - no bugs, no problems (how many releases of iOS 13 already)?

Let's not embellish too much. Their walled garden is the issue here, not so much bugs. Granted iOS 13 has been a bit bumpy, but we were due for that considering how iOS 12 focused on tightening things up and 13's focus is adding features.

Anyways I digress. Instead of providing a method of control outside of their walled garden, their idea of using HomeBridge as a proxy into the garden has quite obviously not gone well. Will it get fixed at some point, hopefully. But IMO, the damage has been done with integrating Apple stuff a long time ago. Apple diehards don't care about the shortcomings in regards to integration, but they are losing the fringe users.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.