C4 Forums | Control4

Devices not responding - Epic-Systems Echo driver

dutsnekcirf

I need them for IR control of some old TVs, a projector, a soundbar,  and combination sony surround sound / dvd player.   I think the truth is I'm too damn cheap to upgrade my TVs to smart TVs with IP control.

I purposely didn't renew my 4sight subscription in favor of using the Epic-Systems driver.  So In order to go back to the c4 skill I'd have to renew that too.

V200 just requires sending discovery from the Alexa app (or via a verbal command to the echo who's IP address you are using in the driver properties), you no longer have to press the button in the driver at the same time! (driver documentation has been updated to reflect this)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am confused as to what should and shouldn't be working regarding the Epic driver right now.  I have various Echo Dots - I believe Gen 1, 2 and 3 and I am on C4 2.10.6 and I don't want to upgrade to C4 OS3 in the near future.  Do I need to wait for the fixed driver?  My Alexa voice commands have not bee working properly for the last month or two.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 2:00 AM, chopedogg88 said:

Bryce, we are working on a fix, hopefully will have something within the week if all goes well.  With technology, I'm sure you know that you can't always provide an answer on when something will be fixed until you actually fix it :)

Hi Ari,

Have you an update on when you now expect this may be resolved please?

Regards,

Bryce

No update unfortunately. My partner has been out of the country dealing with a family issue and had not been able to work on the driver. If you must stay on 2.10.6 then best bet for now is to buy a Gen 1 Echo for communication with the driver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So now going on 4+ months. Hard to reconcile what's written below with the suggestion that I revert to a Generation 1 Echo Dot as a solution. To be clear, I paid just south of $200.00 for a driver that doesn't work with my chosen (2.10.6) C4 version. Is it safe to assume that there will never be a fix for this that doesn't involve jumping to OS 3.x or buying an old Echo device?

Thanks.

On 9/27/2019 at 7:09 PM, chopedogg88 said:

Yeah hard to stay on top of the latest software with old hardware unfortunately. Especially when multiple companies/variables involved.

@SipsyI know how you feel.  I bought this driver only 2 weeks before it went tits up.  While I understand that some things are out of their hands, I still feel like I would be justified in asking for a refund.  I had not expected to pay $150 for a driver that was only going to work for 2 weeks.  I've been trying to wait patiently for the issue to get resolved but at this point I'm losing my faith in the one and only programmer who's supposed to be able to fix this.   Family issues aside, after 4 months, I would hope that he/she could put some time into this.

I also understand that all I gotta do is buy an older generation echo dot and I should be back up and running.  But that feels like a cop-out.  I've been holding out for a fix for so long now, I'm digging in my heels and refusing to spend another cent in order to receive the "benefits" that this driver provides over the native C4 driver.    

4 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Happy to buy you both Gen 1 Echos...

Hi Ari,

That’s a nice offer to those two who are affected. It does however not give all others much hope.

You indicated to me back in September that you had hoped for a fix within a week.

A fix to this would still be desirable, can you please update us on this?

29 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Yes Really...all you need is one in the system, then you can continue to use the v180 driver.  They are selling on eBay for less than $20.

So as long as 1 echo is of the first generation you could add a newer one with no issues ? I'm on OS3

4 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

wait - you're a Control4 dealer but not running OS3?

It's not for me.  I have to answer to all my clients that have your driver.  OS3 is not an option for some of them.  I need more than 1 but I'm not being greedy.

I appreciate your advise so far.  I'd appreciate an updated driver instead but I'll take the echo dot.

4 minutes ago, prabeau said:

So as long as 1 echo is of the first generation you could add a newer one with no issues ?

Looks like you purchased the driver for 4 clients, the last one being in July of 2017 for less than $100.  I'd say they got their money's worth for 3 years of voice control.  The fact that you are based in Canada makes things more difficult for me to buy you a Gen 1 dot - do you have an address in the US that I can ship to?

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

Looks like you purchased the driver for 4 clients, the last one being in July of 2017 for less than $100.  I'd say they got their money's worth for 3 years of voice control.  The fact that you are based in Canada makes things more difficult for me to buy you a Gen 1 dot - do you have an address in the US that I can ship to?

Sure, I have a US address too.   I still talk to clients from 2017 and its a lot of work just to re-do programming for even just 1 system using the voice scene driver.  I'm hoping for the easier route and I like your offer.  I wasn't expecting you to throw that option out there.

Anyways, its not your fault amazon pushed an update so I'm not blaming you.  Your driver works in OS 3.1.0.  We all understand that anything can happen past that update.

How about you deal with all the others who are complaining and I'll worry about my end.  No need to help further.  The voice scene driver works fine so I'll roll up my sleeves and make it happen.

Just to clarify the Gen 1 Echo issue.  Will either a Gen 1 Echo or Gen 1 Echo Dot work?   Or just a Gen 1 Echo (full sized, not hockey puck)?

It appears that the Gen 1 Echo was released in late 2014 while the Gen 1 Echo Dot was released in March 2016.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.