C4 Forums | Control4

AppleTV -- A giant mess! (opinion post)

c4Iona

2 hours ago, KWD said:

Only issue I have is the SR260 stopped working with ATV while the iOS app still works fine. Weird. 

That is the same situation I am in now.  The IOS app works but the 260 remote does not.

Let me mention that I configured the blue button to go to the main menu and it works on the 260 yet nothing else works on the 260.

I even set the debug and can see the command issued when I press a button on the remote.  

I have the bridge, EA5, 3.1 and ios 13.x

of all things... Apple TV.. something we use maybe 95% of the time with C4.. about only thing we use..  I have like 3 in main system and 2 others dedicated to specific rooms..  use it for everything.. tv / music / pandora / amazon.. you name it that's my go to.. its easy everything is there.. especially photos / home videos.. and now can't even access it.. going to have to get IR and drivers installed today.. so frustrating.. I'm almost ready to rip everything out and just go back to old school remotes..  then I know everything always works..always something..

51 minutes ago, CTO13 said:

of all things... Apple TV.. something we use maybe 95% of the time with C4.. about only thing we use..  I have like 3 in main system and 2 others dedicated to specific rooms..  use it for everything.. tv / music / pandora / amazon.. you name it that's my go to.. its easy everything is there.. especially photos / home videos.. and now can't even access it.. going to have to get IR and drivers installed today.. so frustrating.. I'm almost ready to rip everything out and just go back to old school remotes..  then I know everything always works..always something..

You're right, instead of ripping out the one product that keeps giving you trouble, you should rip everything else out instead and go back old school because you clearly just do not get it. Do us a favor and save us from future non-sensical rants.

The only caution I would give is to be careful having Beta Updates enabled on the Apple TVs.

I should note that these Apple TV "issues" should not have caught anyone in the business by surprise. Everything has been rock solid for me since switching to the Gen4 driver. Gen1-3 had (has?) issues with tvOS 13.x. I'm guessing that many installers used the Gen1-3 driver lately because it had audio split out within the driver. When tvOS 13 beta came out I saw that it wasn't working properly with the Gen1-3 driver. I knew that tvOS 13 was bringing changes to security for home automation. This was no surprise at all to developers that have been paying attending for the past 18-24 months and, quite frankly, as a developer I applaud the changes Apple made. So, I switched over to the Gen4 driver on my C4 setup.

The Gen4 driver required me to use the Houselogix A/V Switch to "split out" the audio connections. Once I switched everything to use the Gen4 driver everything has been solid, including the tvOS 13.x betas. The only thing I had to do was reboot the controller recently after the last update to the gen4 Apple TV driver and/or the apple bridge driver.

I'm guessing (assuming) that many of the C4 installations in the past couple years that used the Gen1-3 driver with EA controllers was due to installer comfort with the driver and limited knowledge of what the Gen4 driver was or other software/hardware transitional issues caused as technology was changing. I'm guessing that the Gen1-3 driver was used in my installation because of the audio split being done within the Gen1-3 driver (I asked the installer and recall being told that the audio split was built into that driver).

Anyhow, I can understand and appreciate the frustrations but the finger pointing (going both directions) serves no purpose whatsoever to the end user. The end user just wants something that works. They don't care where blame resides. And, personally, if I had a dealer that was blaming Apple for this issue I would be looking for a different dealer.

My setup that works perfectly is EA controllers running 3.1.0.566775-res, AppleTV Gen4 v26 driver, Apple Bridge v39, Apple tvOS 13.x (including one on the latest beta).

28 minutes ago, macosr said:

I'm guessing (assuming) that many of the C4 installations in the past couple years that used the Gen1-3 driver with EA controllers was due to installer comfort with the driver and limited knowledge of what the Gen4 driver was or other software/hardware transitional issues caused as technology was changing. I'm guessing that the Gen1-3 driver was used in my installation because of the audio split being done within the Gen1-3 driver (I asked the installer and recall being told that the audio split was built into that driver).

The latest Apple TV driver came out in like March of this year. 

So I would “guess and assume” the reason installers haven’t been installing it in “the past couple years” is because it didn’t exist yet? I dunno. 

11 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

The latest Apple TV driver came out in like March of this year. 

So I would “guess and assume” the reason installers haven’t been installing it in “the past couple years” is because it didn’t exist yet? I dunno. 

No, you certainly don't know! You may want to check your dates.

The Gen4 driver was available in early 2018. I'm not positive on the actual first release date but it was certainly available at least 18 months ago when my system was installed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.