C4 Forums | Control4

AppleTV -- A giant mess! (opinion post)

c4Iona

No, you certainly don't know! You may want to check your dates.
The Gen4 driver was available in early 2018. I'm not positive on the actual first release date but it was certainly available at least 18 months ago when my system was installed.
The update for tvos 13 was months ago for the driver though. It was during the beta cycle.

If you had the old driver and had auto update enabled you were covered

43 minutes ago, macosr said:

The Gen4 driver was available in early 2018. I'm not positive on the actual first release date but it was certainly available at least 18 months ago when my system was installed.

And you should not assume to use the dates in the drivers are ANY representation of the actual creation date LET ALONE a release

You should especially not get all high and mighty about them.

The driver came out MAYBE very late 2018, more like early 2019. It was developed against iOS 12.1, which in and of itself wasn't released until October 30th 2018. So even if the driver came out at the same date THAT was released, you're still under one year.

57 minutes ago, macosr said:

Yeah, I mean I said I don’t know. 

I assumed you were referring to the Apple approved driver using the Apple bridge driver... which I swear was released in March of this year.

To be fair - Unless you visit this Forum the end user was left high and dry with the Apple update to OS13 

Dealers did not send emails to end users telling them about the possible issue 

We stopped our 4k Apple Tv from updating because of this forum and then got out dealer to

change the connections when the IR driver came out for the Gen 1-3 IP Driver. 

Looking forward the Remote Hub will allow us to connect devices without a dealer which is upsetting 

our dealer at the moment and the fact out Local/National AV supplier is now a dealer and connects products FOC 

Looking Good for End Users 

7 hours ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

18 months ago I believe the only IP Apple TV driver was the one that was released in 2015 and marked for gen 1-3, tho it still worked fine for the 4K box. 

Just don’t think it’s fair to publicly announce dealer incompetence on assumptions that may be incorrect. 

If I’m wrong, downvote me to the moon. 

The gen4 driver was available at the time. Not sure if it was a full release or beta at the time. I knew about the driver...enough to ask my installer about it. I’m not a dealer but a software developer that has a high interest in automation, including home automation. 

I would hope that when you reference publicly announcing “dealer incompetence” you aren’t referencing me or anything I’ve said about my dealer. They’re pretty good and I’ve never said the word “incompetence” or anything close to it. 

What I don’t like seeing in this thread is how upset people are getting one direction or the other. Dealer or C4 vs Apple.  People who point fingers aren’t very useful imho. 

Regardless, it doesn’t matter to me. Just trying to be helpful with those having issues with tvOS 13.x and C4. My setup is working perfectly and rock solid since I’ve made changes to it. 

Anyone wanting to nitpick dates for anything can do it with someone else. 

Interesting...for posterity sake I figured I would cut the BS and lookup information on the driver at hand from C4 directly. According to C4 the Gen4 AppleTV Driver has a creation date of 4/20/2018...18 months ago. Bottom line...if you're having issues with your AppleTV running tvOS 13.x in your C4 setup you should probably change your driver if you're using the Gen1-3 driver like I did a few months ago.

Interesting...for posterity sake I figured I would cut the BS and lookup information on the driver at hand from C4 directly. According to C4 the Gen4 AppleTV Driver has a creation date of 4/20/2018...18 months ago. Bottom line...if you're having issues with your AppleTV running tvOS 13.x in your C4 setup you should probably change your driver if you're using the Gen1-3 driver like I did a few months ago.
Yes. Control4 has said this all along. You aren't uncovering anyone new.

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:
7 minutes ago, macosr said:

Yes. Control4 has said this all along. You aren't uncovering anyone new.

Awesome! Here I thought it was being said that the Gen4 driver wasn't released 18 months ago. Glad we're on the same page!

8 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I'm not talking dates. I don't track or care about history of release.

Sorry...I figured you were a dealer or an installer. It makes sense that you wouldn't pay attention to these things. 18 months ago it was known to developers that the new driver was the one to begin using for Apple TVs including Gen3 apple tvs. I'm not a C4 dealer but I knew about the new driver and knew enough to ask my dealer about it because I had access to "resources." My dealer was also aware of the new driver at the time but had justifiable reasons (IMHO) to not use it at the time.

2 hours ago, macosr said:

I already told you, creation dates in drivers are meaningless. That driver has NOT been out for 18 months, I can't remember for sure but it CANNOT have been out for a year yest as it REQUIRES iOS 12.1 Pretty sure early 2 nd quarter is more accurate, but I'm not sure.

^^^^^ This. 

I’m not trying to be petty and argue dates either.

I’m simply disagreeing with your assertion that dealers didn’t install the current drivers for a couple of years because they weren’t comfortable with it, or didn’t understand something simple like the pathsetter driver. There was only one IP driver available 18 months ago, and it’s not the latest one out now. 

On 10/12/2019 at 10:45 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

To be fair - Unless you visit this Forum the end user was left high and dry with the Apple update to OS13 

Dealers did not send emails to end users telling them about the possible issue 

We stopped our 4k Apple Tv from updating because of this forum and then got out dealer to

change the connections when the IR driver came out for the Gen 1-3 IP Driver. 

Looking forward the Remote Hub will allow us to connect devices without a dealer which is upsetting 

our dealer at the moment and the fact out Local/National AV supplier is now a dealer and connects products FOC 

Looking Good for End Users 

I must say, this has been a popcorn thread for me... but thanks @Gary Leeds UK, you have added some interesting rumour material which has made the thread worth the read as it has me salivating in anticipation of something exciting and new (the Remote Hub).  I must say this sounds very different from what we all (or at least I) thought the remote hub was going to be when it mysteriously appeared in projects upgraded to OS3.1.

Now I just lost total control over appleTV with the remote but I can go to c4 app click on watch Apple TV, then from the menu on the C4 app, I can totally control Apple TV, but not from remote.  I tried the remote with other devices like cable box etc and total control, Remote is working but not when Apple TV comes up. can't use the remote to do anything.

31 minutes ago, CTO13 said:

Now I just lost total control over appleTV with the remote but I can go to c4 app click on watch Apple TV, then from the menu on the C4 app, I can totally control Apple TV, but not from remote.  I tried the remote with other devices like cable box etc and total control, Remote is working but not when Apple TV comes up. can't use the remote to do anything.

strangely out of nowhere I had this too. As someone else mentioned, I restarted my controller and all is working again.

For some reason, I think this tends to happen when apple releases an updated on the ATV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.