C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 lighting in basic terminology please...!

Waring192

Hi all,

I am trying to get my head around how the lighting works for the C4 branded wireless lighting.

I could be completely wrong but is it connected via Zigbee and as simple as swapping over the switch (single, double or triple gang depending on current switch) and having the switch programmed into the controller so you can either turn the connected lights on/off via touchscreen, C4 remote, voice or by the switch itself? 

Similarly if you wanted a dimmer you would swap the switch to a dimmer version?

Coming from Elan it sound far to easy as with Elan and others you need a third party inline part by Rako or similar.

If I’m correct (which I’m sure I’m not) could you let me know the part numbers for one and two gang switches please? Brushed steel would be nice to match the new kitchen but plain white would be fine (cost dependant as there is lots of switches). Also, I don’t fancy having different ‘mood/scene’ text on the switches, just plain square UK ones.

Cheers in advance.

15 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yes, you can just swap them with your regular switches. 3+ way switches end up using a single switch/dimmer and a keypad in the other locations. They all communicate wireless via Zigbee. 

Cheers ILoveC4! 

Thats music to my ears! Do you have the model/part numbers for them so I can have a peek on eBay for them? If not a model/part number then maybe the range I need? Also, are the older models (if there are such a thing) compatible with the current stuff controllers etc?

Also, as they are Zigbee do they link together like the mesh for range etc?

Cheers

5 hours ago, Waring192 said:

Cheers ILoveC4! 

Thats music to my ears! Do you have the model/part numbers for them so I can have a peek on eBay for them? If not a model/part number then maybe the range I need? Also, are the older models (if there are such a thing) compatible with the current stuff controllers etc?

Also, as they are Zigbee do they link together like the mesh for range etc?

Cheers

looks for dimmers keypad dimmers or switches. 15ft between each device is a good start for distance. Older dimmers and keypad will work currently. There is a small risk of purchasing ember-net devices which will be very difficult to update at this point. Zigbee is a mesh network.

Right, so 80% of  my bulbs are CFL ones so will concentrate on them at the moment for this example. Im also 99% sure they all have neutral wires).

So for example, in the Bedroom and ensuite there is 1 CFL light in the bedroom (currently) and one LED in the ensuite with 2 square switches in total:

• (A) Single switch for the bedroom light (by the bedroom door)
  • (B) Dual gang switch for the bedroom and ensuite (by the ensuite door)

So if I was going for the new ones I would simply purchase the following to replace the existing switch:

They are then connected via Zigbee to the controller which is then programmed.

Is it really that simple? If it really is, what is the part numbers for a basic 1 gang and a basic 2 gang in white please? Also maybe a part number for a brushed metal look?

Many thanks

As you're in 240v world, I can't comment on part numbers, or specific details, but yes, you do 'simply' connect a control4 dimmer or switch to the wiring, and they then wirelessly (over ZigBee) talk to a controller, no extra devices required.

Do note however that a dealer is required to setup the main controller, connect lighting and program the overall system.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

As you're in 240v world, I can't comment on part numbers, or specific details, but yes, you do 'simply' connect a control4 dimmer or switch to the wiring, and they then wirelessly (over ZigBee) talk to a controller, no extra devices required.

Do note however that a dealer is required to setup the main controller, connect lighting and program the overall system.

Cheers, sounds so much better than others. Just one thing, the whole switch is replaced right? It’s not a inline splice job with the existing switch? I was hoping to change all the remaining switches (all but Kitchen and Bathrooms) to a brushed metal look. Same for the sockets.

I have a good relationship with my dealer so I do any low voltage wiring and pay for programming as I do it all for Elan for customers. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.