C4 Forums | Control4

LG TV - Inconsistent Control

ILoveC4

I got a new, high end LG OLED TV, and there was a driver with a perfect match for this model. Following the instructions worked perfectly - SDDP found the TV, and everything went off without a hitch as per the documentation. Now control of the TV is flakey at best...it was real reliable for about 4 hours and now it just flat doesn’t work - even when I can get the driver to show a status of connected = true. 

I know Annex4 has a paid driver - is that to solve this issue? Is there known reliability issues with this? Or is there a bigger issue at play?

I have DHCP reservations for both Wired and WiFi IP addresses for the TV. The network control is enabled. There WAS a firmware update for the TV which may have been when things stopped working - with all the chaos of moving and putting everything away the timing is a bit fuzzy. Any advice would be appreciated. 

56 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

We only use the Annex4 driver, I've had no end of issues with C4's own LG IP drivers, particularly with them not coming out of standby again once switched off from C4.

Thanks Crustyloafer. Looks like I need to find someone who is setup with them who can sell me the driver. I did realize that after the update the WiFi wasn't connected...connecting that seems to have resolved it for now.

51 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

I can help with the driver and setup if you like.

You should not be trying to control any IP device via Wi-Fi though, that is a recipe for disaster. 

I hate WiFi and agree with you 100%. The C4 driver seems to require both. That's the only reason why I setup WiFi to begin with. It's hardwired.

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Annex4 driver is great and has some nice extra features like the toast messages...

Agree.  I have 4 LG TV's and have used the Annex4 drivers for over 2 years with no issues.  I do have all TV's hard wired.

On a slightly different note. Does anyone have issues with the Annex4 toast messages to their 2nd LG TV? All of my LG TVs adhere to the deployment guide for the Annex4 driver and I’ve been successfully sending toast popups to my living room tv without issue. But, when I attempt to send toss messages to the master bedroom tv, the TV gets “unpaired”, which ultimately kills the volume control etc. If I never send a toast message to the bedroom tv, the TV operates flawlessly. But just as soon as I attempt to include that TV in the toast message programming, it gets unpaired. Any thoughts? Could it be a binding setting or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, Cbell said:

On a slightly different note. Does anyone have issues with the Annex4 toast messages to their 2nd LG TV? All of my LG TVs adhere to the deployment guide for the Annex4 driver and I’ve been successfully sending toast popups to my living room tv without issue. But, when I attempt to send toss messages to the master bedroom tv, the TV gets “unpaired”, which ultimately kills the volume control etc. If I never send a toast message to the bedroom tv, the TV operates flawlessly. But just as soon as I attempt to include that TV in the toast message programming, it gets unpaired. Any thoughts? Could it be a binding setting or something?

LG actually broke the command if you include icon data in the toast messages on WebOS 4.5 televisions. The command actually fails on the firmware without an error response. We're looking into a fix or workaround to get them back. I have a release candidate so you can get the toast messages with just text for now, PM me if you'd like it. 

I’m thinking this may not be the same issue because it would stand to reason that all of my LG TVs would be impacted... I think. For comparison:
Master Bedroom TV (doesn’t work):
Model #: 49UK6090PUA
Firmware: 05.10.10
WebOSTV: 4.1.3-5720

LivingRoom TV (works):
Model #: 60UJ6050-UA
Firmware: 05.80.20
WebOSTV: 3.8.0-61206

So the difference in model number not-with-standing, do we believe that the difference in WebOS version; version 3.x vs version 4.x, may in fact be the problem?

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2019 at 4:52 PM, TheWizard said:

LG actually broke the command if you include icon data in the toast messages on WebOS 4.5 televisions. The command actually fails on the firmware without an error response. We're looking into a fix or workaround to get them back. I have a release candidate so you can get the toast messages with just text for now, PM me if you'd like it. 

any update on when the toast MSG will be fixed?

I can live with out the icon. Is there a beta driver with the icons disabled?

5 hours ago, TheWizard said:

Besides excluding the icon right now, we haven't found a solution to get icons to work in toast on the latest models. There may be a new permission flag related, what that is yet I'm not sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.