C4 Forums | Control4

New Remotes Inbound.....

RobbieF

So an AV outlet in New Zealand and in Arizona both posted similar new C4yourself pics with the Neoo relatively unchanced from their prototypes. Additionally looks like maybe OS 3.1.1? Or maybe just insinuating to check out OS 3 in general. Excited to see.

funny how needs change - last year I would have hated this design because it has no physical # buttons and I could not channel surf on cable

A year later I cut the cord and use Hulu Live TV so I cannot easily go to various channels (which is annoying) but also makes the # buttons on the remote less important.

47 minutes ago, msgreenf said:
49 minutes ago, therockhr said:
Interesting. 
Someone can correct me because I don’t feel like looking it up but don’t the Neeo remotes communicate through Bluetooth? 

Wifi

I decided to go ahead and look and it says it does, Bluetooth, WiFi and zigbee. I wonder if the remote has all those radios or if it was the “brain” that had them. 

8 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I decided to go ahead and look and it says it does, Bluetooth, WiFi and zigbee. I wonder if the remote has all those radios or if it was the “brain” that had them. 

The NEEO remotes communicate over Wifi to the 'Brain' hub.

Zigbee on the NEEO remotes was used to pair with the 'Brain', but I don't believe was used for communication.

I don't know anything about the bluetooth functionality, possible it was the brain.

RyanE

9 hours ago, KWD said:

Basically looks like it's going to have the functions of the phone app with some hard buttons. As long as it is quick and not over priced I think it might be decent. 

I probably could glue a ATV remote on the back and have Siri "built" in. 

Define over priced?

What's hilarious is that C4 is going to totally charge like $500+ for a remote that used to cost $400. And what's even funnier is this remote is going to be shittier in almost every respect than the SR260 except that it looks cooler. How do I know that? Because it looks identical to the original Neeo hardware and I know how that worked. So what are my predictions as to why everyone will hate this? 

1. No backlighting (this is going to be the biggest complaint, trust me). It's one of the main reasons I dumped my Neeo. 

2. Buttons are too close (second biggest complaint).

3. Terrible battery life (like 2 days if its not in the cradle)--I could see C4 actually upgrading this, but I doubt it. They need to dump that acquired Neeo inventory somehow, am I right?

4. Terrible wifi connection, which be made worse by the fact that presumably there will be no base station. 

5. You will constantly need to be flipping between screens. A lot of people will hate that. Afterall it's why people own the SR260 in the first place instead of using their phones. 

And finally, let's not forget that we are dealing with C4 too. So I'm sure that no-brainer functionality that will actually differentiate the remote from the SR260 will be missing too. Like what about looking at cameras, that would be sweet right? I'll bet right now that's not there. Or what about the wakeup agent? That would be cool. How much you want to bet that won't be there? Then of course they'll be functionality the SR260 has that C4 hasn't implemented yet since they often release half baked products. Like maybe you can't control lights, thermostats, or blinds.

I'll be looking forward to pointing back to this thread once my predictions hold true. 

8 minutes ago, ntlord said:

What's hilarious is that C4 is going to totally charge like $500+ for a remote that used to cost $400. And what's even funnier is this remote is going to be shittier in almost every respect than the SR260 except that it looks cooler. How do I know that? Because it looks identical to the original Neeo hardware and I know how that worked. So what are my predictions as to why everyone will hate this? 

1. No backlighting (this is going to be the biggest complaint, trust me). It's one of the main reasons I dumped my Neeo. 

2. Buttons are too close (second biggest complaint).

3. Terrible battery life (like 2 days if its not in the cradle)--I could see C4 actually upgrading this, but I doubt it. They need to dump that acquired Neeo inventory somehow, am I right?

4. Terrible wifi connection, which be made worse by the fact that presumably there will be no base station. 

5. You will constantly need to be flipping between screens. A lot of people will hate that. Afterall it's why people own the SR260 in the first place instead of using their phones. 

And finally, let's not forget that we are dealing with C4 too. So I'm sure that no-brainer functionality that will actually differentiate the remote from the SR260 will be missing too. Like what about looking at cameras, that would be sweet right? I'll bet right now that's not there. Or what about the wakeup agent? That would be cool. How much you want to bet that won't be there? Then of course they'll be functionality the SR260 has that C4 hasn't implemented yet since they often release half baked products. Like maybe you can't control lights, thermostats, or blinds.

I'll be looking forward to pointing back to this thread once my predictions hold true. 

As an owner of a Neeo, I can attest to #1 and #2.  These are flaws.  Battery life is also mediocre on the original Neeo.  

At the end of the day - I'm buying a remote because I want the ease of use that a /good/ remote provides, not another smart phone interface.  If I wanted that, I would pull my phone out of my pocket.

I just hope Control4 improves the UX and UI of the Neeo and DOES include things like security cameras, etc.

I'm another NEEO owner from the very early days.  Bought it just to play with, but hoped that it might be useful somewhere.  The reality is it's as beautiful to look at as it was hopeless to use.  Form over function etc.  If Raphael had spent as much time worrying about the real world usability as he did about the cardboard box it was packaged in he would have had a much better product.

FWIW, that Crestron TSR-310 is a really nice piece of hardware.  I hate Crestron, but that remote is really nicely done.  Used one a few weeks ago.  Absurdly expensive, but then so are C4 touchscreens...

19 hours ago, ntlord said:

that acquired Neeo inventory somehow

I'm not so sure there WAS any inventory to speak of.

18 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

At the end of the day - I'm buying a remote because I want the ease of use that a /good/ remote provides, not another smart phone interface.  If I wanted that, I would pull my phone out of my pocket

This is exactly my thought.

MY worry is that people get hyped on a touchscreen remote, it's not going to live up to expectation, and it will cause ill will in short order.

But as I've said before on this forum, I don't mind being proven wrong. Maybe this thing will be great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.