C4 Forums | Control4

New Remotes Inbound.....

RobbieF

15 minutes ago, dinom said:

Is it possible this could get added to a future upgrade?

As I don't plan on getting into a "will it / won't it" discussion about every possible feature, and whether it's on a roadmap, I'm drawing the line here, and saying:

Control4 does not typically pre-announce future products, features or functionality.

Sorry.

RyanE

5 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Currently, not outside of the keyboard available for the first-time user experience (to enter Wifi credentials).

RyanE

That kind of kills media searching which to me seems to be one of the advantages of having a device with a screen. 

19 hours ago, RyanE said:

I disagree with nearly all that ntlord says above.

I believe despite the shortcomings, that this is a great product.

Product design and development is a series of tradeoffs.  This remote (as does any product) reflects those tradeoffs.

The one thing I agree with is: this won't be the last remote control released by Control4.  If this remote doesn't do it for you, that's fine, don't buy it.

RyanE

I agree with others here in this forum, especially the opinions of ntlord.   It is hard to say this remote is a "great product".    I haven't seen a recent product launch by C4 that warranted such a defensive posture.  On all social media since the launch, C4 appears to be spending most of its time in the comments trying to defend missing/lost features. (See Facebook and Instagram).

Even in this chat, there appear to be more people frustrated/disappointed with the new remote than excited for it.   Unfortunately, that's not what a company wants for a release.  

I really do hope this feedback makes it to your product marketing team so they can do a better job next launch.     I really do want C4 to succeed at releasing top notch products.

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

For any devices that support it, certainly.  It currently isn't used for text entry / search.

RyanE

Ok great, I currently I use my 260’s number buttons for text entry when searching on my Sky satellite box (UK), can I assume if I can do it on a 260 I can still do it on the Neeo? I really like the look of the remote, I think it does look like a great product, can’t wait for mine to be delivered. The only thing I’m bummed about is the lack of microphone, but we can’t get everything we want. 

7 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

Ok great, I currently I use my 260’s number buttons for text entry when searching on my Sky satellite box (UK), can I assume if I can do it on a 260 I can still do it on the Neeo? I really like the look of the remote, I think it does look like a great product, can’t wait for mine to be delivered. The only thing I’m bummed about is the lack of microphone, but we can’t get everything we want. 

Correct.

As far as a microphone, there aren't many devices that allow for microphone input in their API.  For example, Comcast and Dish, although they both support voice search, neither one allows for voice search from 3rd-party devices (yet).

Once that's more widely available, a microphone is a compelling add for sure.

RyanE

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

Correct.

As far as a microphone, there aren't many devices that allow for microphone input in their API.  For example, Comcast and Dish, although they both support voice search, neither one allows for voice search from 3rd-party devices (yet).

Once that's more widely available, a microphone is a compelling add for sure.

RyanE

https://support.savant.com/help/articles/Support_Article/Using-Voice-Commands-on-the-Savant-Remote/?l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

There may be differences but Savant does have voice control in their latest remotes for Siri/HomeKit.  C4 has Alexa/Google integration already, no?  Even just using Alexa to control lights or switch inputs would be nice - ie things you can already do in c4/Alexa.  maybe if APIs opened up and the mic was already there more features could come in the future.

3 hours ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

I agree with others here in this forum, especially the opinions of ntlord.   It is hard to say this remote is a "great product".    I haven't seen a recent product launch by C4 that warranted such a defensive posture.  On all social media since the launch, C4 appears to be spending most of its time in the comments trying to defend missing/lost features. (See Facebook and Instagram).

Even in this chat, there appear to be more people frustrated/disappointed with the new remote than excited for it.   Unfortunately, that's not what a company wants for a release.  

I really do hope this feedback makes it to your product marketing team so they can do a better job next launch.     I really do want C4 to succeed at releasing top notch products.

This has really been my point all along. There is no way C4 couldn't have anticipated this reaction. It's plainly a lazy product launch. Not only is it identical in almost every way to a failed product--Neeo. But the software isn't even as capable as a T3. No control of thermostats! No cameras. I'm sure there is more too. Wakeup agent perhaps?

To be frank, I hope the developers and product managers at C4 look at all of this negative reaction (which is largely universal across all platforms of communication) and feel super disappointed. Now I don't pretend to understand the internal politics of C4, but in my opinion, but they should feel disappointed. There is no innovation here. That is undeniable. I can only hope that perhaps next time that will motivate them to do better. I have no doubt the V2 of this remote will be great. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:37 AM, RyanE said:

It's quite usable, and takes less time than you'd think to memorize the d-pad, ch+/-, vol+/-, menu, and back.

As far as transport controls and proxy buttons, you get the control screen as soon as you select the device, so they're immediately available.

The big difference between using the remote and your phone is that there's no wake-up or delay to use the remote, and no need to exit twitter before controlling.

For most things, I find the remote quite a bit quicker and much more convenient than using the phone.

This opinion, of course, is extremely biased, but I believe honest.

RyanE

That's great, helpful feedback.  I would have appreciated hardware DVR and Guide buttons, but I'm excited for this product, even if it isn't perfect.  And, the great thing is I now have a choice between this and the original remotes. 

23 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say, I usually jump in and buy... but I am going to wait for a few reviews from end users before I buy this one.... but if I don’t buy the Neeo, I have no doubt I’ll buy the Neeo V2 so please do keep developing 😀

Great to see new hardware coming out.

I'll put US$5 on you buying (at least) one.  :)

3 hours ago, Thepritch88 said:

Doesn't the Crestron TSR-310 have everything?     It has basically everything the NEEO does, but adds more hard buttons, back lit buttons, and a Microphone.   (The Savant Pro does as well, so does the RTI remote)

5 minutes ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

Doesn't the Crestron TSR-310 have everything?     It has basically everything the NEEO does, but adds more hard buttons, back lit buttons, and a Microphone.   (The Savant Pro does as well, so does the RTI remote)

Not sure about everything but it has all the things you’ve listed. The Mic on Crestron’s remote definitely works with Apple TV but I don’t know what other devices it works with, I don’t think it does voice search on fire stick. The Crestron piece is a really nice remote but it also costs around $1200 so twice the price of the Neeo. 

16 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

Not sure about everything but it has all the things you’ve listed. The Mic on Crestron’s remote definitely works with Apple TV but I don’t know what other devices it works with, I don’t think it does voice search on fire stick. The Crestron piece is a really nice remote but it also costs around $1200 so twice the price of the Neeo. 

I agree that $1200 is steep for a remote, but.....If you had the TSR-310 hardware with OS3 running on it - would you buy it for $1200?   For me, I would. I'd rather spend $1200 on a remote that has everything than $600 for a remote that has half of what I want.   If I ever do buy the NEEO (which I doubt I will) I would be buying it full well knowing that the second they came out with a new remote that has features similar to the TSR-310 - then I would buy that new remote! (which in total would cost me way more than then $1200)

As for the microphone - I view that as absolutely critical.   Even if it doesn't have full functionality at launch date, at least you won't have to buy a new remote when voice commands become more ubiquitous.    Like I said before, every remote on the market has a microphone now.   So C4 will be SUPER behind if Comcast & Dish releases an open API for voice control real soon.  How pissed would you be if you spend $600 on a remote and it can't do a critical thing.    Have you looked at comcast research? I believe it is something like 95% of their users use the voice button. I know I do!  Heck, I have my SR-260 and my comcast remote both on my table.    Also, like I said in my very first post, according to C4 Customer Advocacy, they told me one of their most requested "wish list item" was a new remote with voice control!   

41 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

the Crestron remote has a smaller touchscreen so it has a few extra buttons not sure about the mic.  The $1200 price tag is more related to Crestron's super premium pricing.  I doubt shrinking the touchscreen, adding buttons and adding a mic would double the cost.

And Savant's works with Apple (the mic) - not sure why C4's couldnt work with Alexa or Google Assistant that's all.  Sure it may not work with FireStick and Roku and Shield, etc, its a lot of variables, but at least a mic to work with Alexa/Google could have been implemented I would think (coming from a non software engineer!)

I still think the cheaper non touch screen Crestron remote is great - real buttons including 9 custom buttons where you can order engraved keycaps.  

https://www.crestron.com/en-US/Products/Control-Surfaces/Remotes/Programmable-Remotes/HR-310

On 11/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, chopedogg88 said:

I actually think the price point is very reasonable, less than I thought it would be, considering the build quality and that:

-SR-260 with docking station is $300 USD

-Savant Pro remote is $800 

-Crestron remote is $1200

I am a Dealer, but also a user of course (as most dealers are!), and I think most Dealers' feedback would be the same or very similar to Customer feedback to be honest.

Elan HR30 is £570 inc vat to dealers. It does have a nice mixture of touch and hard buttons:

EL-HR30_main-20.jpg

9 hours ago, Baubas Cat said:

But it is possible?

He basically told you he wouldnt' comment further.

I doubt it though, this 'C4 Neeoo' is NOT the same device internally - hardware chages were made.

I think it would have been preferable if they never called it a neeoo remote though, it just creates confusion and expectation.

13 hours ago, Cyknight said:

He basically told you he wouldnt' comment further.

I doubt it though, this 'C4 Neeoo' is NOT the same device internally - hardware chages were made.

I think it would have been preferable if they never called it a neeoo remote though, it just creates confusion and expectation.

Further, the only changes according to RyanE were ram and flash size. That makes both versions pretty much the same in my mind. And certainly makes any changes C4 made as trivial.

But I’m even dubious of that. Before NEEO was purchased they were close to releasing a “pro” version. I wonder whether the C4 NEEO is the same as that version. If it is, C4 made zero changes to anything NEEO had

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.