C4 Forums | Control4

Philips Hue & Control4

anon2828

Looking to add some Philips Hue bulbs and LED light strips.  I know that I have to use the Philips Hue Bridge to interface with Control4.

I believe there is a Control4 native driver for Philips Hue - correct?

My main question is, I use Control4 dimmers for all of my lights.  If I have a pendant light that is currently controlled by a Control4 dimmer and I put a Philips Hue bulb in there, I would guess that I control colors, presets, etc. through a Control4 Navigator (C4 App) or the native Philips Hue app.  But then how does the Control4 dimmer interface or work at all?

Can someone who has this working explain please.  Thanks!

yes there is a native driver

the advanced lighting scene support has been broken and even the control is broken in some aspects atm.

you do not want to use a dimmer on hue load. to do it properly it should be switched to a c4 switch.

all of the color options and such can be activated from c4. i dont use any of the hue labs that often so not sure if they can be activated from control4 but i expect not

39 minutes ago, anon2828 said:

But then how does the Control4 dimmer interface or work at all?

You would set the switch to 2-button function and hide the load to prevent it from turning off. Then some programming to ensure it's always on.

The Hue Bulb will do the 'turning off' instead, and it will show up as a light much like the regular dimmers and switches. My advise is to use a 'on-off'/switch driver in addition to the RGB driver, and use that to tun the light off completely.

As mentioned, Hue (and others) are not supported in Advanced Lighting Scenes at the moment - indeed I suspect they won;t be at all, and that more 3rd party lighting is going to be removed. Has to do with how C4 ramps and tracks, vs how some of the 3rd party devices do so.

Instead you program against the scene activating/deactivating to turn on/off any lights that are Hue.

17 hours ago, Cyknight said:

As mentioned, Hue (and others) are not supported in Advanced Lighting Scenes at the moment - indeed I suspect they won;t be at all, and that more 3rd party lighting is going to be removed. Has to do with how C4 ramps and tracks, vs how some of the 3rd party devices do so.

Instead you program against the scene activating/deactivating to turn on/off any lights that are Hue.

For what it's worth.. I do use Hue in advanced lighting scenes (have since 2.10, now on 3.1) and it works just fine.  It's probably not supported, but.. 

32 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

For what it's worth.. I do use Hue in advanced lighting scenes (have since 2.10, now on 3.1) and it works just fine.  It's probably not supported, but.. 

For what it's worth, you may be on the old driver and the old bridge.

Note that you can add and remove them from lighting scenes just fine, it doesn't stop you form doing it - the bigger issues is with tracking them (especially when you want them off).

But hey, if it works for you it works - but we've had to change things in several houses so far, including my own.

Just now, Cyknight said:

For what it's worth, you may be on the old driver and the old bridge.

Note that you can add and remove them from lighting scenes just fine, it doesn't stop you form doing it - the bigger issues is with tracking them (especially when you want them off).

But hey, if it works for you it works - but we've had to change things in several houses so far, including my own.

New driver and bridge here.  

I have occasionally had one light (out of several in a scene) that doesn't turn off, but it's few and far between.  I really don't want to lose this functionality, so I hope they don't kill it!

18 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

New driver and bridge here.  

I have occasionally had one light (out of several in a scene) that doesn't turn off, but it's few and far between.  I really don't want to lose this functionality, so I hope they don't kill it!

Like I said, it's just a matter of programming a line under a lighting scene to trun on/of a light instead - the function as such isn't lost, just takes some more work to do it. the only thing 'lost' is that you need to use 'set' vs 'ramp'

On 11/1/2019 at 1:19 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Philip Hue Lights and Bridge have just had a Driver Update

Works great with Alexa 

We use them in Advance Lighting with no Issues have 17 Bulbs/Lambs etc - All switches are standard home switches. 

Also the motion sensors work well within C4 but need to buy a 3rd party Driver

How do the lambs feel about being illuminated? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 11:19 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Philip Hue Lights and Bridge have just had a Driver Update

interesting.  This was about the time mine stopped working in C4.  I have the original Hue hub.  Old phone ap still works, but C4 control no longer does.  If I can’t revert to the previous version of the driver, may have to change to some other lights.

You would set the switch to 2-button function and hide the load to prevent it from turning off. Then some programming to ensure it's always on.
The Hue Bulb will do the 'turning off' instead, and it will show up as a light much like the regular dimmers and switches. My advise is to use a 'on-off'/switch driver in addition to the RGB driver, and use that to tun the light off completely.

We have used the advanced lighting to turn off a house lights when good night is pushed and Philips hue is part of that
It’s works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Mike_S101 said:

We have used the advanced lighting to turn off a house lights when good night is pushed and Philips hue is part of that
It’s works fine. emoji848.png

What driver version though.

If it works for you, great, but we've had several now where that fails miserably (as in hue lights stay on, system knows they are on, but lighting scene is off) - yet the lights themselves are flawless when controlled from interface or attached buttons.

As for the tracking issues on 3rd party lighting, that is direct from tech support so take it for what it's worth.

What driver version though.
If it works for you, great, but we've had several now where that fails miserably (as in hue lights stay on, system knows they are on, but lighting scene is off) - yet the lights themselves are flawless when controlled from interface or attached buttons.
As for the tracking issues on 3rd party lighting, that is direct from tech support so take it for what it's worth.

This one
Had no issues to date

5e26c98c4124b498b49a21e163b90e66.jpg

My Phillips Hue bridge (version 1) and bulbs no longer work in C4 after the recent driver upgrades.  Works fine through the Hue ap on the phone.

im guessing this is because I have the older version of the Hub.  Trying to decide if I should buy a newer version of the hub or just go with Alan’s TPlink driver and bulbs (only have 3 bulbs).

1). Is anyone successfully using a v1 Hue Hub with the 832 level drivers?  If so, specifically what drivers are you using?

2) has anyone switched from Hue bulbs to the Kasa TPlink WiFi bulbs?  How would you compare them?

3) any benefit of trying to stay with Hue a Hub if control will be solely through C4?

Well , try updating to version 832 and see what happens

Again, I can only tell you what I've seen happen myself, and am only reporting what I was told was the cause.

Strange thing.
Composer pro tells me the driver is up to date
5a241f54a8253c85e7108b93df6d88b4.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.