C4 Forums | Control4

Ring or Nest & Misc.

Time2Jet

I read somewhere that at least the Nest TStat driver may be updated fir a future OS, so I’m holding off installing my Ecobee. I also have a Nest Hello doorbell. Who knows what might be coming, so short of a whole bunch of end arounds (Elk), I’m looking for the ability to program button and motion events from the door. I also would love to be able to have the door station send live video to a television when a button is pressed. I know that’s a lot to ask. I’m trying to avoid a C4 hardware solution (simply because I don’t have the room to install one easily and secondly because I have access to Ring & Nest products.

I’ve read some nice workarounds for these products, but I’m asking for any Ring integration ideas that have worked. I’m looking to do floods (with motion and video) and a door solution. I’d love to do a simple Ring security system, but I don’t think anyone has had success with integration. (Simple Arm/Disarm).

Again, all of this is driven by my access to Ring products. (through travel and credit card reward programs I participate in). I also have access to Nest, SimpliSafe, ALC, Swann & Spyclops cams and NVRs, Energizer, D-Link Wireless Cameras. I get that a lot of it is crappy DIY stuff, but if anything jumps out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup - that is what I have in my house.  I have a Ring Pro with the Blackwire driver (I can provide you copies) setup on my front door.  Then I have an Amcrest camera (using my driver) powered by POE on a column that looks at the front door.  When ring senses motion on my T3s it uses the navigation agent to show the camera for 2 minutes.

I was a fan of Ring and BlackWire does have an events driver. You can’t see the video, but you can program off of motion or button press. If you had a camera that integrated with C4 you could have that camera display when an event with the Ring occurs. 

@ILoveC4

You say “was” a fan of Ring? Did you move to a C4 doorstation? I feel like I know this?

Yup - that is what I have in my house.  I have a Ring Pro with the Blackwire driver (I can provide you copies) setup on my front door.  Then I have an Amcrest camera (using my driver) powered by POE on a column that looks at the front door.  When ring senses motion on my T3s it uses the navigation agent to show the camera for 2 minutes.

@msgreenf

Thanks Mitch - this is likely the direction I was leaning. Thank you.

How crappy are the wireless cameras out there or are there even any out there? I assume a wireless delay could be an issue (especially here).

I’m going to likely take you up on the offers. Let me know which Amcrest cam you like.

Do you have the wall mount or portable T3’s? Just curious. Without looking, do the T3’s repeat Zigbee?

What about video, a snapshot or an alert on a TV? I get that I could get an announcement setup for OSD, but no one has OSD up 24/7. Could I program to fire OSD? I would imagine that would take too long to play/show the announcement.

Lastly, can I program the same kind of stuff off of the Ring floodlight/cam motion?

4 hours ago, time2jet said:

How crappy are the wireless cameras out there or are there even any out there? I assume a wireless delay could be an issue (especially here).

nope, they are fine.  I just prefer POE, if I am going to run a cable for something I might as well run 1 and get power and data.

I’m going to likely take you up on the offers. Let me know which Amcrest cam you like.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Look on amazon and pick one that fits

Do you have the wall mount or portable T3’s?

One portable on my nightstand.

Without looking, do the T3’s repeat Zigbee?

npo. Wifi or ethernet only.  Don't have any zigbee nothing in them

What about video, a snapshot or an alert on a TV? I get that I could get an announcement setup for OSD, but no one has OSD up 24/7. Could I program to fire OSD? I would imagine that would take too long to play/show the announcement.

Yup! that is what the navigation agent allows.

Lastly, can I program the same kind of stuff off of the Ring floodlight/cam motion?

Correct

@ILoveC4

You say “was” a fan of Ring? Did you move to a C4 doorstation? I feel like I know this?

Yeah, exactly. I had Ring at my old house, but in my new house I just built I went with the C4 DS2 Mini. I think it looks a lot better, and I really enjoy the intercom anywhere functionality. We have touchscreens scattered around the house, and the ability for us or the kids to talk to the front door from the T3 touchscreens is really nice. That said, appearance and in the functionality with the touchscreen is really the only upside. Well, and I guess the ability to have custom buttons to do things like unlock the door - that's cool too.

The Ring does a really good job with recordings and what not - the DS2 doesn't do that. I'm confident it will once I get it setup to work with an NVR (that I don't have yet) but it isn't as easy or slick as Ring in that regard.

2 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yeah, exactly. I had Ring at my old house, but in my new house I just built I went with the C4 DS2 Mini. I think it looks a lot better, and I really enjoy the intercom anywhere functionality...

I personally think the Ring Elite looks MUCH nicer than the DS2/DS2Mini, but that is just my opinion! 

I personally think the Ring Elite looks MUCH nicer than the DS2/DS2Mini, but that is just my opinion! 

@LollerAgent

What does the Elite do that the Pro does not, if you know? I sort of remember doing a side-by-side awhile back and didn’t see a lot of difference on features. The Elite was definitely larger.

• 1 month later...

I’m I the process of adding Hikvision and am using Nelly’s Security H-Series cams and NVR. They’re all oem Hikvision just rebranded with Nelly’s name and Nellys support is top notch which why I’m going this route. I also put in the DB2 WiFi video doorbell and although it won’t work with Intercom Everywhere, it will integrate into the NVR and can be accessed like other cams. Only difference would be using one of the Hikvision apps to answer doorbell calls.

Nelly’s sent me a Control4 specific firmware for the NVR which should integrate all its controls if needed on OSD and the remote. But regardless, cams should integrate into C4 just fine by themselves with the various drivers out there. I’m still in the process of getting the cams and NVR setup then will get help adding to C4.

Also, hikvison has some pretty nice colorvu cameras which are full color 24/7. I’ve seen some videos where midnight looks like 3 pm and even gets moon shadows from trees. Nellyssecurity.com.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.