C4 Forums | Control4

Dealer with specific skillset requested

ILoveC4

I'm in need of someone who can help accelerate "time to finished product" over here. I want someone who is comfortable and proficient with Just Add Power, and audio distribution combined with HDMI video distribution.

My setup is as follows:

Video Sources -> HDMI Cable to JAP (715POE) -> Network cable to JAP Switch -> JAP Receivers -> HDMI to TV
                                                                                     -> HDMI Pass thru to Integra AVR -> HDBaseT Balun to Epson 6050
                                                                                     -> Stereo Audio breakout from 715POE to Control4 Audio Matrix (I have everything to make these connections but haven't physically made them all YET)

I have 5 video zones (4 JAP receivers + the theater powered by the AVR) and 16 audio zones (5 of those audio zones are also video zones). What I would like to achieve, is to have the videos audio in the 4 JAP video zones, be channeled through the audio distribution system and NOT through the TV's. I can either MUTE the TV's, or disable the HDMI audio out on the JAP receivers but I want all the audio to come through the distributed audio system.

It is my understanding that in doing this, all the video sources must be set to stereo audio. As a result, these sources will only have stereo audio in the theater. My current thought, is that for "movie watching" or scenarios where I care about surround sound, I'll have sources dedicated to the theater. This way I can have Dolby and all that good stuff in that room.

Last on the video distribution front, is that one of the JAP video zones is also visible from the theater area. As such, I want to get another HDBaseT Balun that can send HDMI from the AVR "Zone 2" and stereo audio from the AVR Zone 2 to that TV so when I want them both on the same source, the audio is in sync.

I'm confident that with the right amount of time I could get this all figured out, but hoping someone who has done something similar before can do it much faster, save me having to spend the time and get my family the experience we all want much sooner. I travel a lot and so the amount of time I can devote to this is fairly limited. Please send me a PM if you feel like this is something you could tackle, along with a proposed fee structure.

if you have the 3g+ transmitter they can decode dolby to the stereo output.

I would also add a receeiver for the tv you are looking to add. Using the zone 2 on the receiver will cause more issues with hdmi EDIDs. 

no need to mute the tvs or disable hdmi. Just control4 is programmed to control the volume of the in ceiling speakers. you may want to disable the speakers on the tvs so they not accidentally used or cause an echo.

pm me if you want further help.

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

if you have the 3g+ transmitter they can decode dolby to the stereo output.

I would also add a receeiver for the tv you are looking to add. Using the zone 2 on the receiver will cause more issues with hdmi EDIDs. 

no need to mute the tvs or disable hdmi. Just control4 is programmed to control the volume of the in ceiling speakers. you may want to disable the speakers on the tvs so they not accidentally used or cause an echo.

pm me if you want further help.

I have the 505POE transmitters, and they unfortunately cannot decode audio. The TV near the theater has a JAP receiver on it...the problem is when one of the sources is 0.25 seconds ahead of the other (JAP introduces a slight delay) then it causes a very annoying echo.

I also realize that Control4 can be set to control the volume of the in-ceiling speakers, but I don't want volume playing out over the TV speakers as well. Like I said, I can just turn the volume all the way down on them and leave it that way.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:48 AM, ILoveC4 said:

I have the 505POE transmitters, and they unfortunately cannot decode audio. The TV near the theater has a JAP receiver on it...the problem is when one of the sources is 0.25 seconds ahead of the other (JAP introduces a slight delay) then it causes a very annoying echo.

I also realize that Control4 can be set to control the volume of the in-ceiling speakers, but I don't want volume playing out over the TV speakers as well. Like I said, I can just turn the volume all the way down on them and leave it that way.

with no audio decode that would cause some issues. I think you are doing the best option having surround sound capable sources local to the receiver. 

IF they tvs have the options to disable the speakers that would be done in the tv menu. control4 wouldnt do that. same for the volume. If the volume was getting turned up by an outside source could have some programming on tv power to turn the volume down.

not understanding where the echo is being introduced. if all the audio sources are using the jap transmitter as the source everything should be in sync. minus the surround zone as the receiver itself will introduce a delay. Not much you can do there unless you force it into direct or stereo mode and even that is not a gaurentee fix.

46 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

not understanding where the echo is being introduced. if all the audio sources are using the jap transmitter as the source everything should be in sync. minus the surround zone as the receiver itself will introduce a delay. Not much you can do there unless you force it into direct or stereo mode and even that is not a gaurentee fix.

The echo is being introduced in that you have a source that is going direct to the AVR via passthru, and to a TV via JAP. The signal getting to the TV via JAP is 0.25 seconds or so behind.

Make sense? I'm all good here. Ari (chopedog) quickly confirmed that I was thinking about things properly and was able to provide some good input. 

8 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

The echo is being introduced in that you have a source that is going direct to the AVR via passthru, and to a TV via JAP. The signal getting to the TV via JAP is 0.25 seconds or so behind.

Make sense? I'm all good here. Ari (chopedog) quickly confirmed that I was thinking about things properly and was able to provide some good input. 

aw yes if using the pass thru that would do it. 

4 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

aw yes if using the pass thru that would do it. 

Exactly. So I just need to adjust the delivery of "Zone 2" to be a balun that doesn't produce latency, OR just mute the TV audio when they're displaying the same thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.