C4 Forums | Control4

Neeo C4 Remote announcement

9 minutes ago, poseidonsystems said:

Hi all, 

Got an email from Neeo saying that  the remote is available for Control4. 

Here's the link: https://planet.neeo.com/t/189mjh/neeo-now-available-for-control4-smart-home-os-3

certainly looks nicer

If you want to channel surf good luck without digit buttons (does not matter to me but I have to assume that matters to a good % of TV users)

Channel 

4 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

certainly looks nicer

If you want to channel surf good luck without digit buttons (does not matter to me but I have to assume that matters to a good % of TV users)

Channel Surf, I thought it has tactile channel and volume buttons, which is ideal, totally agree.

46 minutes ago, poseidonsystems said:

Channel 

Channel Surf, I thought it has tactile channel and volume buttons, which is ideal, totally agree.

what if you want to go to channel 54 or 86?  I know when I had cable my wife and I did not just hit channel up channel up channel up.  There are 100's of channels and maybe we like 10-12 channels.  Go from ESPN to ESPN 2 to YES Network, etc....or if I am watching something on CBS and I want to flip to ABC I can do that by typing in 7.  I am sure the icons will have "favorites" but again if I wanted a touchscreen for channel surfing you could use your iphone.  

Now that I moved to Hulu Live TV I am frustrated I cannot channel surf, but the form function issue with the Neeo is non issue for me because of my service provider.

6 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Correct, this remote does not have hard 0-9 buttons.  It does have a very usable number pad on the touchscreen.

I'd suggest you create room favorites for your favorite handful of channels, then they're one-touch, available on the main screen on the remote.

RyanE

I'll wait to see others in action.  The few photos I've seen show different things on the touch screen.  To have to swipe or move around menus to get to favorites could be "eh".  

It is nice hardware for sure, looks more modern and certainly tops the SR-260.  My concern would be usability so I'll wait for some real world feedback.

oh and the charging cradle - it has to stand?  I have the SR260 laying flat to charge in an AV Cabinet, not enough height for a remote to stand up.

25 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

the charging cradle - it has to stand?  I have the SR260 laying flat to charge in an AV Cabinet, not enough height for a remote to stand up.

Yes, it has to stand.

Fortunately, this remote is nice enough looking that you don't need to hide it in an AV cabinet.

:)

RyanE

2 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Yes, it has to stand.

Fortunately, this remote is nice enough looking that you don't need to hide it in an AV cabinet.

:)

RyanE

tell that to people who's significant others do not like clutter, or that have dogs or children who run around the house and knock into things....

Just a personal preference that's all.

17 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

tell that to people who's significant others do not like clutter, or that have dogs or children who run around the house and knock into things....

Just a personal preference that's all.

Understood, and I agree.

My grand daughter when I ask her to bring me the remote will instead take it and drop it in the dock, which is further away...  :)

As far as knocking into it, the base and remote are magnetic, and a bump of a table or tug of a cable won't usually cause the remote to come out of the dock.

RyanE

2 hours ago, RyanE said:

Understood, and I agree.

My grand daughter when I ask her to bring me the remote will instead take it and drop it in the dock, which is further away...  :)

As far as knocking into it, the base and remote are magnetic, and a bump of a table or tug of a cable won't usually cause the remote to come out of the dock.

RyanE

Oh! I’ve just learned something about you... you are much older than I thought... and at least my age...

12 hours ago, eggzlot said:

certainly looks nicer

Channel surfing is pretty easy on the Neeo remote.  Here is what our Sky driver looks like on the remote.  Look at that sexyness

neeo-ui-channels.png

44 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Channel surfing is pretty easy on the Neeo remote.  Here is what our Sky driver looks like on the remote.  Look at that sexyness

neeo-ui-channels.png

Looks nice but not everyone has sky and also you need to look down to press a touchscreen vs tactile buttons.  It’s nice. It looks better than an SR remote. But not as functional in my opinion. If I wanted a touch screen to surf I could use mini apps or custom buttons on my iOS app. 

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Looks nice but not everyone has sky and also you need to look down to press a touchscreen vs tactile buttons.  It’s nice. It looks better than an SR remote. But not as functional in my opinion. If I wanted a touch screen to surf I could use mini apps or custom buttons on my iOS app. 

I will say cell phones/phones in general moved from tactile buttons to looking at the screen to dial the # you want and I have heard zero complaints in the last what 5 years. Do you think there would be a point where people would accept you have to look at the device to enter a specific number? Don't most people just go to guide and use page up/down then select what they want already (that's what I do) and if I do choose specific channel I have to look at the remote to make sure I'm starting on the right #. Just saying for all the people who want tactile 0-9 to what end? We already got rid of it on cell phones and it works great. 

On a phone your main focus / function is the phone itself which is why this works. As soon as you take that focus and split it between two points (TV + Remote) in my opinion / experience it no longer works as well. Granted the Neeo has some hard buttons at least. Having not got hands on with it yet I've no idea if its enough. I'd love to be able to bundle this remote with every EA1 instead of an SR-260, time will tell! 

49 minutes ago, 3D - Benn said:

On a phone your main focus / function is the phone itself which is why this works. As soon as you take that focus and split it between two points (TV + Remote) in my opinion / experience it no longer works as well. Granted the Neeo has some hard buttons at least. Having not got hands on with it yet I've no idea if its enough. I'd love to be able to bundle this remote with every EA1 instead of an SR-260, time will tell! 

I guess if I want to hit 0-9 keys on a remote I still need to at least look while I hit the first #. Guess I'm the rare one that doesn't see a lack of physical 0-9 as a big deal. Very rarely would I ever sit there and hit a specific channel multiple times. 

Tbh - it's not just the digits I'm referring to. The main use for remotes with my clients tends to be PVR (Sky) operation and so it's  transport keys ff/rw along with play pause guide record menu etc etc. You learn where these feel on the remote and use it without looking down, thats impossible when it comes to touchscreen. 

14 hours ago, penn65000 said:

Why Wi-Fi and not zigbee. Wi-Fi seems an odd choice. Not reliable for instant response. 

For a remote that displays cover art and media, Wifi is required.

The Neeo engineers have done a great job with the Wifi stack (and everything else), and it's response time is on par with Control4's Zigbee remotes and keypads.

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.