C4 Forums | Control4

Neeo C4 Remote announcement

1 hour ago, 3D - Benn said:

Tbh - it's not just the digits I'm referring to. The main use for remotes with my clients tends to be PVR (Sky) operation and so it's  transport keys ff/rw along with play pause guide record menu etc etc. You learn where these feel on the remote and use it without looking down, thats impossible when it comes to touchscreen. 

It's definitely a trade-off, and it also depends on what devices you are using as sources.

Comcast, for example, allows you to use primarily d-pad for play/pause, etc., while for Dish, that doesn't work as well.

Most streaming set-top boxes pretty much *only* use the d-pad interface.

RyanE

Unfortunately this release is a bit of a let down. It essentially is like using your iPhone to control your TV, which isn't what most people want (otherwise they would just use their phone). It is missing backlit buttons, hard buttons for common use features (such as DVR, Guide, Pause/Record, skip back, etc.), and is missing a microphone for voice control. Most other competitive remotes on the market have all of those features. So, I am not really sure what this remote gets you that your iPhone already can't do?  Also, compared to Crestron, Savant, and RTI, what can this remote do that those others can't?. 

Sell me on WHY this remote is better than the SR-260 for watching TV.   (And don't sell me on how you can control lights, locks, or other stuff - I get that.  I am talking TV viewing experience only). 

14 minutes ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

Sell me on WHY this remote is better than the SR-260 for watching TV.   (And don't sell me on how you can control lights, locks, or other stuff - I get that.  I am talking TV viewing experience only).

Neeo Source selection: Touch a single button on the screen to select the Comcast box, or any of my Roku sources (Netflix / Hulu / Plex / Amazon Prime Video)

SR260 Source selection: Watch -> Menu -> Down button -> Down button -> Down button -> Enter.

Neeo Channel selection: Choose a channel favorite (with station artwork), or use the Channels/Stations driver to choose a station from the handful that I use regularly.

SR260 Channel selection: Remember the number for the station I want, enter it on the numeric keypad, and/or go into guide and scroll until I find it.

Neeo Dish Media shows artwork for all recordings, prime time anytime, and On Demand programming.

RyanE

P.S.  You can also control lights, locks, and other stuff...  :P

I’m actual pretty excited about this and I have a long history of using some pretty cool touchscreen remotes from RTI. Using your phone is completely different. With my iPhone I have to wake it up, let the app connect and finally it allows me to send a command. When all you want to do is mute the sound or pause the movie, this is a terrible user experience.  
An instant on remote should make for a much better experience with almost immediate access to touchscreen or hard buttons. My dealer is going to get one of these on day one and is going to give me feedback on how it works. 

4 hours ago, RyanE said:

Neeo Source selection: Touch a single button on the screen to select the Comcast box, or any of my Roku sources (Netflix / Hulu / Plex / Amazon Prime Video)

SR260 Source selection: Watch -> Menu -> Down button -> Down button -> Down button -> Enter.

Neeo Channel selection: Choose a channel favorite (with station artwork), or use the Channels/Stations driver to choose a station from the handful that I use regularly.

SR260 Channel selection: Remember the number for the station I want, enter it on the numeric keypad, and/or go into guide and scroll until I find it.

Neeo Dish Media shows artwork for all recordings, prime time anytime, and On Demand programming.

RyanE

P.S.  You can also control lights, locks, and other stuff...  :P

Ryan,

Thanks for responding.  I understand your thought process, but they minimize the capability of the SR-260.    I have my SR-260 set up so that the first custom program button sets up my system for watching TV, the second custom button sets up my system for watching Apple TV, and the third custom button sets up my room for watching Blu-ray.    So, its actually 1 button push every time, no what state (or room) I leave the remote in. In your example, you have to make sure the stuff you want to do is already on the screen for "single touch". 

As for "Channel Selection" - why wouldn't you just hit "Guide" - that not only shows the channel, but what is currently playing on the channel."   

Once again, I understand how it would be easier to control lights, locks, and other stuff from the remote - but that isn't usually why people pick up their remote - its to control the TV and receiver. 

So........I still am waiting to be "sold" on something the NEEO can do that the SR-260 can't which helps the TV watching experience.  ;) 

4 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

It's a small thing, but I do like the Neeo's ability to show individual lighting loads with a dimmer slider on the touch screen.  On the 250/260 I only have load on or off.

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 11.32.14.png

Unrelated to the NEEO, but on the SR remotes if you highlight a light on the screen and hit the number pad (1-9) it will turn the light to that percentage. IE: 5 = 50%. 8 = 80%. Etc...

Unrelated to the NEEO, but on the SR remotes if you highlight a light on the screen and hit the number pad (1-9) it will turn the light to that percentage. IE: 5 = 50%. 8 = 80%. Etc...

Mine doesn’t do that but if I hold down the select button it will dim. If I release and hold down again it will brighten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea if the new remote can access a specific channel directly from a streaming service like AT&T Now or Google TV?  I see channel icons on the demo video but not sure if they can access from the above mentioned services.
Got nothing to do with the remote. The streaming services don't have Api to allow this

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yours does that. They’ve all done that since about 2007.

LOL.

Might even be longer than that. In fact, I think the % control predates the ability to press and hold which I want to say was introduced with the SR-250 remote, while % control I believe goes back to to the old RZC v2 release

17 hours ago, control4user007 said:

Looks like NEEO made it on 9to5toys.com article. He has an interesting take.

https://9to5toys.com/2019/11/06/smart-home-remote/

Interesting is a word.

" If the price tag wasn’t already scary enough, the thought of tacking on additional installation fees is sure to keep me away "

Wait till he finds out that the processor is sold separately, but that parts not mentioned in the press release he wrote his article from.

It's a useless article really. There's clearly no reference for the writer to work from, no device in hand nor likely one seen in person at all.

48 minutes ago, RAV said:

in the press release he wrote his article from.

exactly. He may as well be reviewing the latest x-ray machine as seen in his dentist's office. Actually he'd be liable to be more reliable to do that as he'd actually be able to see the device, and see it do something.

First line of the article:

Lots of companies make universal remotes

You may as well be comparing how well my front door was made with how well my new tv's image is.

On 11/8/2019 at 2:29 AM, timbooo said:

Praying for a cheap(er) version with hard buttons. If they're trying to mirror Crestron's offerings, they should hopefully have one in the works. The button layout of an SR260 (or similar) In the same shell as this, it could be very pretty.

This is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than an SR260. Here’s a side by side pic I took. They could reduce the size of the 0-9 keypad slightly and put it on there, but there isn’t room for the full spread of buttons. 

370A04BB-D2EB-464C-8008-8DD4D6C942EB.jpeg

4 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

This is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than an SR260. Here’s a side by side pic I took. They could reduce the size of the 0-9 keypad slightly and put it on there, but there isn’t room for the full spread of buttons. 

Well a cheaper version could have a much smaller (non touch) screen..

21 minutes ago, timbooo said:

Well a cheaper version could have a much smaller (non touch) screen..

Sure. Just showing that it isn’t as easy as just adding buttons - not even considering whatever might going on inside, there just isn’t much surface area. 

On 11/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, ILoveC4 said:

Sure. Just showing that it isn’t as easy as just adding buttons - not even considering whatever might going on inside, there just isn’t much surface area. 

Agreed. Still, fingers crossed. I like buttons and we have clients who still use the number pad to punch search terms into sky boxes SMS style. Using a touchscreen to do that will be pretty appalling. Using a touch screen to do anything is fairly appalling, the whole point of the standard hand remote form factor is not having to look at it (much) while using it surely... otherwise we'd all just be using phones or ipads, and I think we all know how crap that is.

4 hours ago, timbooo said:

Agreed. Still, fingers crossed. I like buttons and we have clients who still use the number pad to punch search terms into sky boxes SMS style. Using a touchscreen to do that will be pretty appalling. Using a touch screen to do anything is fairly appalling, the whole point of the standard hand remote form factor is not having to look at it (much) while using it surely... otherwise we'd all just be using phones or ipads, and I think we all know how crap that is.

At first, I was looking at it constantly. Sometimes it even requires 2 hands! The last couple of weeks I’ve been using it more and getting better with it, but still look down sometimes. I wish we could choose what buttons were displayed and where on the touchscreen part. Things like the “Close Caption” button - I’d love to get rid of that. 

I do have to say that hitting a single button to launch a video source is nice. I’ve committed myself to using it more lately. To me, it almost feels like I need to put the SR remotes away and go all NEEO to force me and my family to use it to get a better review. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.