C4 Forums | Control4

Neeo C4 Remote announcement

9 hours ago, Nupe1911 said:

I appreciate your comments, however I am disturbed by your comment “this is not going to be the last touchscreen remote control hardware that SnapAV/Control4 produces”. For $600 dollars it BETTER be for a while and I hope these new updates or what is to come in the future enhances this $600 dollar remote and it is not shelved in less than a year 

I responded before, but decided to quote tweet to note which part I'm talking about.

My saying that Control4 will develop other touchscreen remote controls doesn't mean that the current remote would be 'shelved in less than a year'.  Just that others could be released alongside this remote that would have additional hardware capabilities that are being requested / mentioned in these posts.

I'd assume that support / updates (as well as the warranty) for this released remote would continue well into the future.

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

I disagree.

The remote itself has double the RAM and double the Flash of the Neeo remote.

And more importantly, it also has a better financed company and dealers to stand behind and support it.

RyanE

Yup. That's totally worth the extra $300. Flash and RAM is super expensive these days. C'mon.

But one questions remains unanswered by C4. Why did C4 intentionally remove the replaceable battery? Is it not to further screw the unlucky souls who have decided to beta test your $600 "new" remote? I'll give my guess. Tell me if this rings true. C4 did not do any hardware development at all with Neeo. All of the alleged improvements C4 has been touting as new, were already in the so-called "Neeo Pro" that Neeo developed before they were bailed out by C4. My guess is prior to the acquisition,  Neeo decided to remove that feature, probably because they were unquestionably an ego-driven, poorly-run company that didn't give a shit about their customers, which incidentally is why they needed to be bailed out by C4 in the first place. So C4 takes the Neeo Pro releases it unchanged, and as a consequence, we end up with a half-baked product.

So why didn't C4 fix the hardware? I mean how hard could it be to add backlighting? Well because they needed to focus on the software. It wasn't easy to port Neeo over to C4, and releasing new hardware would only complicate that. So they made a decision, as RyanE conceded. Release hardware they know has drawbacks (i.e. is shitty), with the hopes that a few suckers will buy it and be beta testers for the software. So there you have it--that's how we ended up with C4's "new" remote.

So what do I predict is going to happen? Well per RyanE's earlier post, C4 will release some new remote (likely sooner than later (although admittedly he is not saying that)). The new remote is going to be super expensive. Can you even imagine how expensive if $300 only buys you some extra flash and RAM? 

13 minutes ago, ntlord said:

Yup. That's totally worth the extra $300. Flash and RAM is super expensive these days. C'mon.

But one questions remains unanswered by C4. Why did C4 intentionally remove the replaceable battery? Is it not to further screw the unlucky souls who have decided to beta test your $600 "new" remote? I'll give my guess. Tell me if this rings true. C4 did not do any hardware development at all with Neeo. All of the alleged improvements C4 has been touting as new, were already in the so-called "Neeo Pro" that Neeo developed before they were bailed out by C4. My guess is prior to the acquisition,  Neeo decided to remove that feature, probably because they were unquestionably an ego-driven, poorly-run company that didn't give a shit about their customers, which incidentally is why they needed to be bailed out by C4 in the first place. So C4 takes the Neeo Pro releases it unchanged, and as a consequence, we end up with a half-baked product.

So why didn't C4 fix the hardware? I mean how hard could it be to add backlighting? Well because they needed to focus on the software. It wasn't easy to port Neeo over to C4, and releasing new hardware would only complicate that. So they made a decision, as RyanE conceded. Release hardware they know has drawbacks (i.e. is shitty), with the hopes that a few suckers will buy it and be beta testers for the software. So there you have it--that's how we ended up with C4's "new" remote.

So what do I predict is going to happen? Well per RyanE's earlier post, C4 will release some new remote (likely sooner than later (although admittedly he is not saying that)). The new remote is going to be super expensive. Can you even imagine how expensive if $300 only buys you some extra flash and RAM? 

Per quotes I have been reading, $600 is not expensive and we should be thankful that it’s not more expensive like its competitors..I guess I should keep quiet and say thank you Control4 for this product.  However, there is some saying on this thread that Control4 will update this remote(software, etc).  So I will go back to being thankful and keep quiet, as us commoners should do.  I’m positive that Control4 will reach out to us users to ask for feedback...while I wait for that I will continue to play the lottery..which has a better chance?

13 hours ago, Cartnj said:

$600 is not a lot  of money for a touch screen remote. I recall some of the Phillips pronto touch screen remotes which we all loved where more then that. Control4 is not for the Low budget users. 

The Neeo remote was half the Price and to be honest this shows how much money C4 make out of the dealer then the dealer makes out of us. 

We pay Double Bubble for the dealer ONLY product 

8 hours ago, ntlord said:

But one questions remains unanswered by C4. Why did C4 intentionally remove the replaceable battery?

I guess one thing we don't necessarily know is that if the Neeo Pro (which I believe the C4 model is based off of?) had the removable battery or not.  I don't think the Pro version ever made it into the wild, although I could be wrong.  The extra RAM/flash and lack of removable back/battery could have just been "enhancements" for the Neeo pro, and not anything custom by C4.

I’m not sure where all the hate is coming from. If you don’t like the remote, then don’t buy it and don’t waste your time talking about it. I, personally, like it. The backlighting of the buttons is the only feature I miss. When a new version comes out that adds new features, I’ll sell this one on eBay and buy the new one. That’s just my opinion and what I would do.

11 hours ago, dinom said:

I’m not sure where all the hate is coming from. If you don’t like the remote, then don’t buy it and don’t waste your time talking about it. I, personally, like it. The backlighting of the buttons is the only feature I miss. When a new version comes out that adds new features, I’ll sell this one on eBay and buy the new one. That’s just my opinion and what I would do.

I completely agree, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you are happy with your 250/260/phone/tablet etc just use that. No one was forced to upgrade remotes. 

On 12/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, eggzlot said:

Most of the gripes are physical - battery and lack of buttons.  Those cannot be fixed with software releases.  

I've got SR260 remotes on original rechargable batteries for several years.  Almost all phones and tablets don't have rechargable batteries and are used daily.  

14 minutes ago, macmann said:

I've got SR260 remotes on original rechargable batteries for several years.  Almost all phones and tablets don't have rechargable batteries and are used daily.  

Apple has authorized places to get a new battery.  I assume same for other manufacturers 

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

4 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

I completely agree, if you don't like it don't buy it. If you are happy with your 250/260/phone/tablet etc just use that. No one was forced to upgrade remotes. 

And it’s OK to have expectations from a company as well.   I’m never going to settle!   We are being critical because the competition is on the cutting edge and have been for a while now.  We like Control4 and that is why we post because we want the best and not sloppy seconds

17 hours ago, Nupe1911 said:

And it’s OK to have expectations from a company as well.   I’m never going to settle!   We are being critical because the competition is on the cutting edge and have been for a while now.  We like Control4 and that is why we post because we want the best and not sloppy seconds

That's fine that you think it should be more, but there has been a lot of posts that are all basically the same thing. 

We have two of the sliver Neeos. Defility miss the 1-9 buttons but the remote is solid and the screen has great resolution. Overall its a great product. Looking forward to what can be down with it. I DO wish it had voice commands like the X1 remote........ only drawback. 

• 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.