Jump to content
AshMania

Phone Line into C4 as an Intercom

Recommended Posts

Hi all

I have a weird question - tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything close to my issue - so here goes...

I have a C4 installation in a condo in a larger apartment complex.

There is a security desk downstairs that has the ability to call each individual condo via a phone line (or so it seems - don't know how its done as there is no dedicated phone number for each location).

The easy option for me is to get a 2-line phone system (1 for the landline and 1 for this intercom to the security desk).

But I'd rather have the security desk integrated into my C4 system as an intercom - I would like to make audio-only intercom calls from the C4 touchscreen / mobile app to the security desk and vice-versa.

Is that possible?  If so, do i need special hardware?

Thanks

Edited by AshMania
More clarification of the topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AshMania said:

Hi all

I have a weird question - tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything close to my issue - so here goes...

I have a C4 installation in a condo in a larger apartment complex.

There is a security desk downstairs that has the ability to call each individual condo via a phone line (or so it seems - don't know how its done as there is no dedicated phone number for each location).

The easy option for me is to get a 2-line phone system (1 for the landline and 1 for this intercom to the security desk).

But I'd rather have the security desk integrated into my C4 system as an intercom - I would like to make voice calls from the C4 touchscreen / mobile app and receive voice calls from the security desk.

Is that possible?  If so, do i need special hardware?

Thanks

Ideally this would be an MDU install and a dealer would put Control4 in every condo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:39 PM, Dunamivora said:

Ideally this would be an MDU install and a dealer would put Control4 in every condo.

Sorry, but that is not possible - are there any other options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really, the security desk system would have to be integrated into the Control4 system. The best way to do that is the MDU setup which requires the entire building to have Control4 so the security desk can call all the condos.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

Not really, the security desk system would have to be integrated into the Control4 system. The best way to do that is the MDU setup which requires the entire building to have Control4 so the security desk can call all the condos.

 

Couldn't it be done with SIP via a FXO/FXS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on if you can get the sip configured to work inside the Control4 system. I don't see any resources for a guide on how to do that, if it is possible.

The MDU solution from Control4 has very specific instructions and requires a compatible door station, their server, and Control4 in every Condo/apartment in the building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Experiment is the perfect word for this.

Why don’t you look into a dedicated intercom system and leave C4 out of it?

That’s what I eventually did... so we have a complex intercom and a DS2 right next to it 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Experiment is the perfect word for this.

Why don’t you look into a dedicated intercom system and leave C4 out of it?

That is the fallback - would love to not have more equipment on the wall or a table.  Not just aesthetically but also won't confuse folks trying to answer the security phone vs the landline.

I am intrigued by the SIP integration "experiment"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...