C4 Forums | Control4

Caseta Switches and Occupancy

Time2Jet

I have a bunch of lighting occupancy timers fired off of motion (and lack of motion).

I want to have 3 dimmer switches fire to 50% upon motion. I set it up this way via timers and programming, but it’s flakey. Lights fire, but when they sense additional motion while lit, they flicker for a second (as though they’re checking the lighting level again). Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
have to tired setting up scenes in the Lutron app and then triggering those scenes? ie.1 scene  bedroom on 50%, 2 scene bedroom off. those saved scenes in the Lutron app show up in the integrators report as button #

Thank you @c4toys

There is no doubt that the native Lutron Scenes are smoother.

So, for the “on” scene would you use the “on” button in the bridge programming for that scene? For the “off” scene then also use the “on” button for the off scene? It gets confusing. I certainly can test it all, but if you already know... save me a headache.

What about the advanced lighting agent? Useful here?

There are so many ways to skin a cat here. But you are right, the native scenes seem to respond best.

Bump.  Can someone help me with how to program a Caseta Scene?  I have them set up in Caseta, just not 100% on how to program them off of motion, etc.  I think it's an ID in the bridge, but each has an off and on. Not sure when I have a when motion sensor senses motion whethter I choose the Scene's ID in the bridge and the "on".

Also, any ideas how to make a motion sensor keep sensing motion?  My WMS's don't seem to continue sensing motion to know when to execute the when stops sensing motion programming. I'm not sure that makes sense.  But my lights turn off when the timer runs even when I have the timer set to start when a WMS stops sensing motion.  I think it could be the polling time.  I just reduced it to 3min from 10min.

I figured out the Caseta Scene Programming.

Still trying to see what I can do to make the WMS's continue to sense motion until there isn't motion. Maybe it's the fact that I am using the Timer Agent?  I've heard that there are other better drivers (countdown?)  Anyway, not even sure that's the issue.

Set the wms to the shortest time. And use your other driver to do all the programming

That’s the way I have the WMS set Mitch, but I am using the Timer Agent. Not sure whether the Timer is the issue or not.

Programming is basically:

When WMS stops sensing motion>start occupancy timer.

When Occupancy timer expires>turn off X lighting

There should never be a case the timer fires with someone in the room. But the lights do sometimes go out with people in the room. Not always, but often enough that it seems “broken”.

34 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

You want it too start the timer when it starts sensing motion

Ok, this makes sense, but I have struggled with this.  Logically, this is what I always thought, but I was taught to start the timer when the sensor stops sensing motion.  In fact, the "Programming 101 canned YouTube C4 video also walks you through step for step the "stops sensing motion> fire a timer" routine for occupancy.   Do you know if the timer "resets" as additional motion is sensed.  ie.  My timers for occupancy are all pretty much 10 minute timers.  When someone enters the rooms the timer starts... what happens when they stay in the room longer than 10 minutes?  And what purpose would the "when sensor stops sensing motion" even serve unless I just turn the lights off?  In this case I don't even need a timer.  The purpose is solely occupancy for lighting.  I get using timers for exhaust fans.  Should I try the stop sensing motion > turn off lights routine?

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, time2jet said:

this is correct but You need programming to stop the timer when motion is sensed and programming to start timer when motion stops being sensed.

That’s the way I have the WMS set Mitch, but I am using the Timer Agent. Not sure whether the Timer is the issue or not.

Programming is basically l:

When WMS stops sending motion>start occupancy timer.

When Occupancy timer expires>turn off X

There should never be a case the timer fires with someone in the room. But the lights do sometimes go out with people in the room. Not always, but often enough that it seems “broken”.

I want the lights to turn on when someone enters the room and turn off when they leave. I’ve created my timers all in the Timer agent.

So this is a little confusing, I followed C4 training video: But below 1-3 is what I have, but the lights go off with people still moving in the room.

Motion Sensor Senses Motion>Turn on Lights XYZ

(The in between part is where I’m confused, Mitch says, “start” timer at the first line above?

2. Motion Sensor Stops Sensing Motion>Start Occupancy Timer

3. Occupancy Timer Expires>Turn off Lights XYZ

The way this was taught in dealer training is counter intuitive but it works very well.  I'm sure programming can be done a few other ways and it would still work.  Especially if you want conditions added.

The basic concept is the TIMER turns OFF the light (when it expires).

Make sure you have the Timer Agent installed.  Set your timer agent to however many minutes you want to allow the light to still be on when NO MOTION is sensed.

Programming works like this: 

When motion is sensed, STOP timer, turn light on.

When motion stops sensing, START Timer.  The timer is now counting down until motion is sensed again.  If it senses motion again, it starts at the beginning of the countdown.

When Timer EXPIRES, turn off light.

The way this was taught in dealer training is counter intuitive but it works very well.  I'm sure programming can be done a few other ways and it would still work.  Especially if you want conditions added.
The basic concept is the TIMER turns OFF the light (when it expires).
Make sure you have the Timer Agent installed.  Set your timer agent to however many minutes you want to allow the light to still be on when NO MOTION is sensed.
Programming works like this: 
When motion is sensed, STOP timer, turn light on.
When motion stops sensing, START Timer.  The timer is now counting down until motion is sensed again.  If it senses motion again, it starts at the beginning of the countdown.
When Timer EXPIRES, turn off light.

Thanks guys! Should the programming be:

At motion sensor:

1. When motion sensor senses motion>stop timer X>turn on Light X? (This is the counter intuitive part for me. It’s not running at that point?) But I think I see what that’s for...

2. When motion sensor stops senses motion>start timer X

At Timer:

1. When timer X expires>turn off light X

The way I was taught seemed strange at first, but intuitive... but it doesn’t really work well. ie. - When ms senses>light(s) on. When ms stops sensing>start timer. When timer expires> light(s) off.

I get sitting still on a bowl won’t necessarily invoke motion, but this is my kitchen. ...The kitchen lighting (amongst many others) that none of my kids (or wife) realize there’s a way to turn it off. (Even the “old fashioned” way). Lol.

I’m going to be posting a question about my fireplace Z2io. I’m trying to get it to kick on when the box temperature reaches 50 degrees Fahrenheit and back off at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. That box get ice cold when it’s off and blows frigid air into my home. Then in programming I’d have to do a conditional for when it’s already on so it doesn’t kick off at 68.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.