C4 Forums | Control4

Ecobee Programing

joecheech

Hi everyone, I have a useful programing idea that I'd love some thoughts on if anyone is in the mood to put their programing hat on.

I have Ecobees installed / integrated in my home and I use the Ecobee scheduler to set the heat set points for each of the standard Ecobee "home" / "away" / "sleep" comfort modes.  For sleep mode I have the heat set point at 67 degrees.  On particularly cold nights, I'll manually override the 67 degree set point by a degree or two before jumping into bed for the night.

I'm trying to think of a way to program this to happen automatically so that on mild evenings the Ecobee Sleep mode stays at 67 degrees and on the cold nights, it gives me a much needed boost without me having to remember to override it.  One would think that I could just as easily change the comfort mode heat set point to 68 or 69 degrees and be done with it, but those one to two degrees do make a difference throughout the volatile Northeast heating season.  Last year I modified the comfort mode set point several times up and down throughout winter and it started to become a pain in the arse. 

Here's what I've thought of so far:

- Create a variable "outside temp less than 35 degrees"

- Program based off of Ecobee thermostat state: when outside temp changes / if outside temp is <= 35 degrees set variable to true; if outside temp >= 36 degrees set variable to false.

Now I just need to figure out the logic for how the thermostat responds to the true / false state of the variable.  Initially I thought: when variable is true: increment heat set point by 1 degree.  Then I realized that each time the outside temp state changes I could incrementally increase the set point by another degree and wake up in the middle of the night in a pool of sweat.

Anybody have any ideas on how to do this right?  

Also, how would I program the stat to revert back to the baseline comfort mode heat set point (67) once the variable state changes back to false?

This theory, if perfected, could also be applied to other comfort modes like "home" or "away" to boost the heat on cold days and nights without me ever having to put pants on, which was the number one reason I bought a Control 4 system, to alleviate the need for pants. 

Thanks everybody in advance for your ideas.  Let me know if you have any questions. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.