C4 Forums | Control4

10 meter HDMI cable that does 4K@60Hz with HDR

Waring192

As above, I need to do a run from the AVR in the cabinet to the TV and also a run from the Xbox One X (next to TV) to the cabinet so looking for options...

If a single cable won’t do then is the only option HDBaseT?

I know nothing about them but what about HDCP 2.2 HDMI boosters like below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002C77FTI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5yQYDbN5GX809?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Cheers

You should really be using a proper HDBaseT extender for this. HDMI cables can break and cannot be upgraded or replaced. Also what happens when 8K is here? Your cable is then garbage. Atleast with HDbaseT you could just upgrade to an 8K extender for example.

None the less here is what you asked for

https://keydigital.org/shop/product/kd-pro50gx-1101 

https://keydigital.org/shop/product/kd-aoch328-1177

6 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

You should really be using a proper HDBaseT extender for this. HDMI cables can break and cannot be upgraded or replaced. Also what happens when 8K is here? Your cable is then garbage. Atleast with HDbaseT you could just upgrade to an 8K extender for example.

None the less here is what you asked for

https://keydigital.org/shop/product/kd-pro50gx-1101 

https://keydigital.org/shop/product/kd-aoch328-1177

Cheers.

I think I will look at a HDBaseT extender. I was wondering how they compare to JAP?

Just having a quick look around, I found some good deals on Xantech and AVProEdge using my trade account but then I also found this on Amazon. The price looks too good to be true?! Amazon reviews are good but does anyone else have any feed back as the Xantech and AVProEdge are around £400-£500 each?

HDBaseT is closely monitored, and all uses the same chip from the same manufacturer, so as long as it's officially licensed, they're usually worth a trial at least.

I've no idea what normal market prices for the UK are, but those would look like a good deal at consumer rates, but nothing crazy for a basic unit - ie Monoprice etc are at similar prices.

Note that not all HDBaseT are equal, many brands have added features that not all units support, such as network, serial, ir in some combination, PoE or PoC and so on.

HDBaseT is a good solution for extending a cable. 

Just Add Power is for network based HDMI matrix using CAT cable. 

Not really interchangeable in that you wouldn’t use a JAP transcoder and receiver just to extend an HDMI cable, but you could a matrix that uses HDBaseT. 

21 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

HDBaseT is closely monitored, and all uses the same chip from the same manufacturer, so as long as it's officially licensed, they're usually worth a trial at least.

I've no idea what normal market prices for the UK are, but those would look like a good deal at consumer rates, but nothing crazy for a basic unit - ie Monoprice etc are at similar prices.

Note that not all HDBaseT are equal, many brands have added features that not all units support, such as network, serial, ir in some combination, PoE or PoC and so on.

Cheers for the input. Amazon UK are good with returns also so if there is any problems I can just send it back. I love Amazon also as if I order in the next...6 hrs 3 mins it will arrive tomorrow plus its free postage with Prime!

Will take a punt and go for it I think. I did find a few alternatives though, any idea which would be best or would they be all the same really?:

1. Just Add Power 3G+AVP TX & RX - £500 
  2. AV Pro Edge AC-EX40-444-KIT HDR HDBaseT Extender - £355
  3. AV Pro Edge AC-EX40-444-PLUS-KIT HDBaseT Extender Set - £441
  4. Plus Eight P8-HDBT-L-FFMS44-22-KIT neo:4 Professional w HDCP 2.2 - £899

1. I know JAP is video over IP instead but how doers it compare?
  2. Whats the difference between the Amazon AV Access and this apart from the price?
  3. As far as I can tell the only difference between 2 and 3 is the addition of USB? Would be useful as my Unraid server is in the cabinet and I have a couple of Windows VM's.
  4. This is completely different as its Matrix but may be useful if I wanted to centralise more items later...but at a cost. Also, only does 4K 4:4:4 HDR @30Hz 

3 hours ago, Waring192 said:

but then I also found this on Amazon. The price looks too good to be true?! Amazon reviews are good but does anyone else have any feed back as the Xantech and AVProEdge are around £400-£500 each?

I've used several of the AV Access units, in different situations and at different cable lengths.  All have worked without a problem straight out of the box, and I've never had one go bad on me.  Highly recommend them, especially at the price.

22 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

I've used several of the AV Access units, in different situations and at different cable lengths.  All have worked without a problem straight out of the box, and I've never had one go bad on me.  Highly recommend them, especially at the price.

Cheers, I have just realised that HDMI 2.0 is only capable of: 

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps

4K 30 4:4:4 10b-HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps

4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps

as 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 10bit-HDR = 22.28Gbps which is past HDMI 2.0

5 hours ago, Waring192 said:

Cheers for the input. Amazon UK are good with returns also so if there is any problems I can just send it back. I love Amazon also as if I order in the next...6 hrs 3 mins it will arrive tomorrow plus its free postage with Prime!

Will take a punt and go for it I think. I did find a few alternatives though, any idea which would be best or would they be all the same really?:

1. Just Add Power 3G+AVP TX & RX - £500 
  2. AV Pro Edge AC-EX40-444-KIT HDR HDBaseT Extender - £355
  3. AV Pro Edge AC-EX40-444-PLUS-KIT HDBaseT Extender Set - £441
  4. Plus Eight P8-HDBT-L-FFMS44-22-KIT neo:4 Professional w HDCP 2.2 - £899

1. I know JAP is video over IP instead but how doers it compare?
  2. Whats the difference between the Amazon AV Access and this apart from the price?
  3. As far as I can tell the only difference between 2 and 3 is the addition of USB? Would be useful as my Unraid server is in the cabinet and I have a couple of Windows VM's.
  4. This is completely different as its Matrix but may be useful if I wanted to centralise more items later...but at a cost. Also, only does 4K 4:4:4 HDR @30Hz 

Do you want a matrix switch, or do you want to extend and HDMI cable? I am using the Snap A/V HDBaseT balun and it's working awesome. I use this unit specifically: https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/extenders-receivers/binary-560-series-4k-hdr-hdbaset-long-range-extender-with-ir-rs-232-ethernet-b-560-ext-444-70

It works great.

I also use Just Add Power for my video distribution. The Snap A/V piece takes the HDMI out from my AVR, and extends to to my projector with ~90 feet of Cat6 in between the two baluns. The Just Add Power does matrix switching over IP. It's really quite different. You wouldn't use Just Add Power to go from A -> B over CAT. You would use just add power if you have a bunch of inputs and a bunch of outputs, and you have CAT cable cable going between them all - but you need every input available to every output. 

Make sense?

22 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Do you want a matrix switch, or do you want to extend and HDMI cable? I am using the Snap A/V HDBaseT balun and it's working awesome. I use this unit specifically: https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/extenders-receivers/binary-560-series-4k-hdr-hdbaset-long-range-extender-with-ir-rs-232-ethernet-b-560-ext-444-70

It works great.

I also use Just Add Power for my video distribution. The Snap A/V piece takes the HDMI out from my AVR, and extends to to my projector with ~90 feet of Cat6 in between the two baluns. The Just Add Power does matrix switching over IP. It's really quite different. You wouldn't use Just Add Power to go from A -> B over CAT. You would use just add power if you have a bunch of inputs and a bunch of outputs, and you have CAT cable cable going between them all - but you need every input available to every output. 

Make sense?

For now...I just want to extend but in the future I may want to add a matrix. More bothered about now really.

Shame the one you linked doesn’t do USB also as that would be amazing! Would rather have USB than Ethernet. 

30 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

It works great.

Make sense?

How much is the one you quoted? I just found the USB one just it’s not 18Gbps so I don’t think it does the same level of HDR?

12 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

How much is the one you quoted? I just found the USB one just it’s not 18Gbps so I don’t think it does the same level of HDR?

I was told that you need/want 18gbps. I don't know what retail is on that one - I suspect it's between $600 and $700 for the kit (both a transmitter and a receiver).

9 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I was told that you need/want 18gbps. I don't know what retail is on that one - I suspect it's between $600 and $700 for the kit (both a transmitter and a receiver).

Ah ok cool. Many thanks. I think you need 18Gbps for 4K HDR as the lower one will not do HDR IIRC.

8 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

What do you want USB for? Just curious.

My Unraid server in the cabinet and have quite a powerful one with a Nvidia 1080 Ti so its fun to do some gaming on it now and again. Also I picked up a second hand HTC Vive a while back and was quite fun watching people play while seeing what they see on the TV!

2 hours ago, Waring192 said:

Ah ok cool. Many thanks. I think you need 18Gbps for 4K HDR as the lower one will not do HDR IIRC.

My understanding of HDBaseT is that the spec bandwidth is in fact 10Gbps.  That's true of the $169 boxes just as it is of the $600 box.  Compression takes place in order to accommodate the data that can be carried by HDMI 2.0 with a max bandwidth of 18Gbps.  I'm not aware of any HDBaseT solution that can currently manage to carry 4k/60 4:4:4 w/HDR10.  

Honestly - my advice is to buy the AV Access box from Amazon as your first foray into video over Cat6.  You won't be disappointed, especially at that price.  If you are, just print off a return label and send it straight back to Amazon.  It's that cheap and easy. Oh, and use good quality Cat6 cable.  Probably don't have to use Cat6A given the short runs involved in your install.

6 hours ago, OceanDad said:

My understanding of HDBaseT is that the spec bandwidth is in fact 10Gbps.  That's true of the $169 boxes just as it is of the $600 box.  Compression takes place in order to accommodate the data that can be carried by HDMI 2.0 with a max bandwidth of 18Gbps.  I'm not aware of any HDBaseT solution that can currently manage to carry 4k/60 4:4:4 w/HDR10.  

Honestly - my advice is to buy the AV Access box from Amazon as your first foray into video over Cat6.  You won't be disappointed, especially at that price.  If you are, just print off a return label and send it straight back to Amazon.  It's that cheap and easy. Oh, and use good quality Cat6 cable.  Probably don't have to use Cat6A given the short runs involved in your install.

The one I use and pointed him to does. 

F5070040-8CC0-4EF1-B241-BCF7E11C0E7C.jpeg

Here's the spec from the Binary 560 box that you have.  Like I said, it can do all of these things but not all at the same time.  HDBaseT chipset is pretty standard.  Binary box might be better made, have better cooling etc, but it essentially does the same work as the AV Access box.  Normally I'm wary of the cheap alternative, but I've been using the AVA boxes for several years and they have been rock solid.

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 07.20.56.png

2 hours ago, OceanDad said:

Here's the spec from the Binary 560 box that you have.  Like I said, it can do all of these things but not all at the same time.  HDBaseT chipset is pretty standard.  Binary box might be better made, have better cooling etc, but it essentially does the same work as the AV Access box.  Normally I'm wary of the cheap alternative, but I've been using the AVA boxes for several years and they have been rock solid.

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 07.20.56.png

Cool. All I know, is it's working great for me. I've got audio and video coming over the cable that knocks my socks off. 

13 hours ago, OceanDad said:

Yeah I think I will just go for the Amazon one. I have heard HDBaseT has strict rules. I know 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 is not possible in HDMI 2.0 as the max Gbps is 18 when 4K@60Hz 4:4:4 is around 22.

15 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Cool. All I know, is it's working great for me. I've got audio and video coming over the cable that knocks my socks off. 

Sounds perfect then. I need to sort out something for USB though, maybe just a cheap HDBaseT KVM?

On 11/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, OceanDad said:

I don’t think so. I  think that just like many others, , it can do all of these things, but not all at the same time.  It can pass HDR 10, but not at 4K/60 4:4:4.  It can pass 4K/60 4:4::4, but not with HDR10.  One of them has to give.

Yep you are correct. It can only do 4K 4:4:4 at 30Hz max. 

I did pick up the AV Access HDMI 2.0 4K HDBaseT extender from Amazon and using a short 5 meter cable for testing and its been flawless. Been running my Xbox One X through it and works fine. Shows that it can display everything but Dolby Vision but my TV cannot do that anyway. The only odd thing is that the HDCP light is flashing blue? On the whole its a cracking bit of kit so far for £160ish. 

I also picked up the AV Access USB 2.0 HDBaseT extender but have not had time to test it yet. Fingers crossed its just as good as above.

The only thing I need to think about now is the Xbox One X...do I buy the (not many) games I have digitally or add them when they become free via Live or Gamepass so I don't need to change the disc in the garage? The range is just about ok so that's fine. The other option is to run a second AV Access HDMI 2.0 4K HDBaseT extender (feel like a waste of money) to run it from a hidden area in the living room. Thats bloody hard anyhow as on the wall is pretty much just the TV, a around 2 meter oak bench with a HomePod at one end and a Angle poise at the other.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.