C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 - Continue or Scrap?

Wasn't sure if I should post here, or in a different forum.  I can move if needed. :)

We inherited a C4 system from the prior owner of the home.  They had 4 TVs, 6 audio zones and Lumos Cameras set up with it. We got a dealer to come out and get us all hooked up again.  The only difference we did was move from their apple TVs (which they took) to Rokus on 2 TVs.  Once here, the tech consolidated our wifi (we had 3 Wifi points - the main xfinity (very weak due to being in closet), the Control4 Apple device which is the C4 hub, and my own Google Wifi extenders downstairs.  He couldn't get one TV to work as the previous homeowners took a key component from the TV, but he got the 3 other TVs hooked up into the audio and control4 remotes. He also got the airplay working and the security cameras set up.  This was 2 months ago and almost right away everything stopped working.  All 3 TVs will not work with the audio at all, none of the C4 remotes are functioning properly (not recognizing the rooms they are assigned to).    Pandora stopped working due to "Network Error" the error message said.  I could get TuneIn for about a month, and then Pandora mysteriously started working 2 weeks ago.  But as of today Pandora stopped working as well as InTune.  So everything the tech came to do/fix that day - now most of it stopped working.  And at various times.  First it was Pandora a few days after the tech left, then it was one of the TVs a week later, then it was another TV a day after that, then it was InTune and Pandora In today.  I can still use AirPlay so my network is fine, I believe.  

The dealer will not respond to my emails.  

Is it normal for these glitches to happen so often?  I feel like we are in a money pit if we need to spend ~$200/hr for a tech every time something 'breaks'.

Is it this dealer we used possibly?  Like, if I find a really good dealer/tech could we potentially have a very reliable system and a better experience??  I am trying to decide if we scrap this system for something else, or invest a bit more $$, but I really don't want to if this is going to keep happening.  Every error message or issue I research says "call a dealer".  My family is very tech savvy and I wonder if we switched to an open system, we could get a lot more help and be able to do things DIY.  We don't have a robust C4 system set up with lights, temp control, etc.  It's only audio on 6 zones, TVs on 3 (potentially 4), and the Lumos cameras, so I feel like we shouldn't be having this many constant problems.  We were given no direction when the tech was here.  He showed me how to use the airplay and then that was it. (He even changed my wifi password and didn't tell me what he changed it to - had to call Xfinity for help). So I don't know if there are even basic troubleshooting steps I could try with any of this.  So scrap it and start over with another system, or do I give Control4 another shot?

First, don’t use the Xfinity modem as your homes router.  Put it in bridge mode and use a good router to run the show.

All your problems point to network problems.  Most likely DNS is configured wrong either on the devices themselves or the network.

DNS should point to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Cant speak for your installer, couldn’t tell you how knowledgeable they are.  Wish I could get $200 a hr for mediocre work though.  Crikey!!

Apple networking gear should be replaced. WiFi extenders are not a good practice in most cases. It's 10x more stable to wire and put in WiFi Access Points. 

Put in a recommended router. Put in a few access points in place of the extenders. Configure the DNS on Control4 products as mentioned above.

I totally agree that all your issues sound like they're network caused. These steps should help all your network function better and your Control4 run a ton better.

4 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

I totally agree that all your issues sound like they're network caused.

Same here, your issues are network, not Control4 as such.

I can still use AirPlay so my network is fine, I believe.

Oh the times I've hear dthat (or something similar) 😉

No, airplay being up doesn't mean your network is fine. It's just not that simple.

By your own description you have Xfinity, Apple and Google all running together.

ISP routers are pretty much garbage and a write off.

Very limited personal experience with Google, but depending on setup, it's a Mesh wifi network, which is not recommended.

Get rid of the apple stuff for the same reason.

Don't scrap Control4 and start over with something else.

Scrap the current networking setup and start over with something else...even if you intend to drop Control4, you should STILL drop the existing network setup and start that over.

Yep. Network. If you can drop the xfinity entirely and buy a Motorola / Arris surfboard.

Check with your ISP but this should do the job and be rock stable.

Motorola SBG6580 Surfboard Extreme 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway - Latest Version (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGX6S5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_24eZDb6C75XDJ

From there you need proper network gear. While not approved by C4 the ubiquiti is the best priced solution.

You would need a gateway, a cloud key and enough wap pro for coverage depending on the shape of your property.

Install that and a switch. Get the ubiquiti powered one to power the wap and likely all your problems go away.

Can't you ask the prior owner for the missing balun from TV point 4?

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.