C4 Forums | Control4

Intrinsic Dev - Apple TV tvOS13 IP Driver

IntrinsicGroup

We’re delighted to launch our latest Control4 Driver for Apple TV. This driver is designed for 4th and 5th generation Apple TVs running tvOS 13 and written in the UK using Apple's official Media Remote Protocol.

It offers:

* Two way IP control

* Uses Apple's official Media Remote Protocol

* Requires NO PAIRING and NO HOME SHARING

* Can be deployed remotely

* Please note currently no meta data

Get the driver here

Currently available at 25% off for two weeks only. Enter code C4ATV25INTRO at the checkout.

If you would like a free copy for your show room, just fill in the form here: Showroom License Request

1. Ease of setup ?

2. If it allows use of multiple Apple accounts on the same device without losing control when switching between them.  At the moment, I lose control when we switch between my account and the wife/kids account. I'd be interested if it negates that problem.

Also the new offical ip driver absolutely requires an EA controller for reasons I cannot understand.

So a guy like me with an HC800 could benefit from something like this.

Curious, my favorite feature of the old IP driver was that the numbers jumped to the corresponding part of the video.

For example if you pressed 3 it would instantly jump to 30% through the video. 9 would jump to 90%

does your driver work in this fashion?

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

As a matter of interest, why would someone use this driver as opposed to the free Control4 Apple Bridge?

If it is going to allow MetaData to be transferred to Control4 movies at some stage then I’d see great value.

Very easy setup - there's no need for home sharing or pairing, which means you can also deploy it remotely (i.e. if you have the driver that has stopped working).

We are actually getting full metadata and have this displayed on all the other control platforms, but there isn't a proxy for us to use for this in C4 at the moment.

2 hours ago, OceanDad said:

1. Ease of setup ?

2. If it allows use of multiple Apple accounts on the same device without losing control when switching between them.  At the moment, I lose control when we switch between my account and the wife/kids account. I'd be interested if it negates that problem.

Yes, this is using MRP (which is what the iPhone app uses), so accounts have no bearing on it, so you shouldn't have any problem when switching user accounts.

16 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

Also the new offical ip driver absolutely requires an EA controller for reasons I cannot understand.

So a guy like me with an HC800 could benefit from something like this.

Curious, my favorite feature of the old IP driver was that the numbers jumped to the corresponding part of the video.

For example if you pressed 3 it would instantly jump to 30% through the video. 9 would jump to 90%

does your driver work in this fashion?

Yeah, that's a nice feature - may get added at point!

4 hours ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

Very easy setup - there's no need for home sharing or pairing, which means you can also deploy it remotely (i.e. if you have the driver that has stopped working).

We are actually getting full metadata and have this displayed on all the other control platforms, but there isn't a proxy for us to use for this in C4 at the moment.

I must say, when I read this,  3 things cross my mind:

1. There must be some way (a proxy or otherwise) of using the metadata in C4 otherwise other great third party drivers (like the various Plex and Kodi drivers) would not be able to do this.  Note: I am just an end user, so I may be talking nonsense...

2. Given that you get the Metadata, I am amazed that the native C4 driver has not developed to use the metadata as yet. 

3. The day you find a way to use the Metadata within C4, I will be a buyer (and I suspect so will many others) - assuming you get there before the native C4 driver does!  If the Metadata you can use and display in C4 extends to third party apps like Infuse then you would have a platinum winning driver! The holy grail for me (as a C4 and Apple fan) would be to have Infuse MetaData and movies on my Apple TV as well as my Apple library link into my C4 movies library...

On 11/15/2019 at 1:05 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say, when I read this,  3 things cross my mind:

1. There must be some way (a proxy or otherwise) of using the metadata in C4 otherwise other great third party drivers (like the various Plex and Kodi drivers) would not be able to do this.  Note: I am just an end user, so I may be talking nonsense...

2. Given that you get the Metadata, I am amazed that the native C4 driver has not developed to use the metadata as yet. 

3. The day you find a way to use the Metadata within C4, I will be a buyer (and I suspect so will many others) - assuming you get there before the native C4 driver does!  If the Metadata you can use and display in C4 extends to third party apps like Infuse then you would have a platinum winning driver! The holy grail for me (as a C4 and Apple fan) would be to have Infuse MetaData and movies on my Apple TV as well as my Apple library link into my C4 movies library...

We asked C4 directly about this before we released it...doesn’t mean we’ve not still trying to find another way! 

This is sterling work.

Now can you do the apparently impossible and replicate this for Amazon Fire sticks/boxes? They too have app control which works smoothly, so it seems like there must be a similar way of controlling via that protocol rather than the useless ADB method currently employed by the IP driver... say it is so!

You'll be well rewarded if you manage to pull it off!

Just a recommendation for anyone freshly updating to the new OS and installing this driver, go into [ settings > remotes ] and revert the "Home Button" behaviour to Home Screen instead of ATV App. Otherwise the behaviour of the CNCL button (which is clearly mapped to HOME) will confuse the hell out of you. Or maybe just me.

3 hours ago, timbooo said:

This is sterling work.

Now can you do the apparently impossible and replicate this for Amazon Fire sticks/boxes? They too have app control which works smoothly, so it seems like there must be a similar way of controlling via that protocol rather than the useless ADB method currently employed by the IP driver... say it is so!

Just a recommendation for anyone freshly updating to the new OS and installing this driver, go into [ settings > remotes ] and revert the "Home Button" behaviour to Home Screen instead of ATV App. Otherwise the behaviour of the CNCL button (which is clearly mapped to HOME) will confuse the hell out of you. Or maybe just me.

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple - we looked at it but the work involved was significant and we we're sure we'd recuperate the cost of the development!

Re the mapping - the next release is having user assignable button mapping (the current mapping is based on dealer feedback from the beta).

Just now, IntrinsicGroup said:

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple - we looked at it but the work involved was significant and we we're sure we'd recuperate the cost of the development!

Re the mapping - the next release is having user assignable button mapping (the current mapping is based on dealer feedback from the beta).

If those videostorm guys can sell a whole dongle and driver, I'm sure a pure IP version would be very appealing.

Or we'll all just jump ship to ROKU, which I personally will be testing against WAF very soon.

4 hours ago, timbooo said:

This is sterling work.

I use Flirc to control my fire stick, it’s so much better than the IP driver. With a bit of programming workaround I use the IP driver to leverage mini drivers, when one of those is selected it switches over to the Flirc driver for instant control via IR 

1 minute ago, Thepritch88 said:

I use Flirc to control my fire stick, it’s so much better than the IP driver. With a bit of programming workaround I use the IP driver to leverage mini drivers, when one of those is selected it switches over to the Flirc driver for instant control via IR 

I do too, and that was my plan as well but I got fed up thinking about how to do it xD

I'd be super grateful of a quick guide / screenshot or sth via PM...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.