C4 Forums | Control4

Intrinsic Dev - Apple TV tvOS13 IP Driver

IntrinsicGroup

On 5/16/2020 at 11:07 PM, msgreenf said:

The only time I can get it to work is w trace on....what did you have to do?

Trace is on at the beginning to get it working then turn it off!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 7:26 PM, msgreenf said:

@IntrinsicGroup I have upgrade 2 customers to the 200510 release and both have issues!  1 has no control of 5 ATVs the other has sporadic control....not a happy Saturday

Sorry for the delay - we didn't see the notification.  Always best to drop a support ticket on the site.  The currently build is 200518, give that a shot and it should sort things.

Does this driver support press-and-hold buttons?

For example, a bunch of Apple TV applications (i.e. Philo TV) require press-and-hold for certain things.

Also, whats the other differences between this and the Control4 Apple TV IP driver?

4 hours ago, sofakng said:

Does this driver support press-and-hold buttons?

For example, a bunch of Apple TV applications (i.e. Philo TV) require press-and-hold for certain things.

Also, whats the other differences between this and the Control4 Apple TV IP driver?

It currently doesn't support press and hold, though this may be added in a future update.  This ATV Driver supports right up to the latest tvOS version.

2 hours ago, jmb said:

@IntrinsicGroup  My driver stopped working again, I've rebooted the controller and both of my Apple TV's.    Any other suggestions?

What version of the driver are you running on?  If you're on the latest version this creates a new connection each time, so the driver can't loose control, unless your IP address changes.  Drop us a support ticket and we can take a look.

10 minutes ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

What version of the driver are you running on?  If you're on the latest version this creates a new connection each time, so the driver can't loose control, unless your IP address changes.  Drop us a support ticket and we can take a look.

he has tix open 200518 version

1 hour ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

I have gone into Composer HE and I can't find the version number for the driver.   When do I find the version number?   

I signed up for the newsletter a month ago and have not gotten any news about a new release.  

9 hours ago, jmb said:

I have gone into Composer HE and I can't find the version number for the driver.   When do I find the version number?   

I signed up for the newsletter a month ago and have not gotten any news about a new release.  

Your installer should be able to provide the version number from the full edition of Composer.

We haven’t sent any end user update newsletters for this yet. That is something due to start from June.

9 hours ago, IntrinsicGroup said:

Your installer should be able to provide the version number from the full edition of Composer.

We haven’t sent any end user update newsletters for this yet. That is something due to start from June.

So, before I incur a service charge from my installer, how do I figure how if I need an upgrade.    It stopped working in mid-late March, after the installer did an upgrade it was good.   So, it was upgraded on March 27th, how do I figure out if that it what I need again?   

I don't quite understand the frequency with which I have issues with this driver.   I don't have it with any other driver with issues and I do have other 3rd party drivers.     I'd happily upgrade it myself, but not being able to do that, it feels like constant a fishing exercise.    I have resisted paying for annual service contract with my dealer, but this one driver may necessitate it.   In the end it might be cheaper to upgrade my HC800 and avoid the need for the driver. 

11 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The latest version was released may 18th...so you don't have latest

Thanks.    Do you know why it breaks without the latest version?    I’m not sure sure why the March version wouldn’t continue to work.  

Thamks again. 

Can someone explain the benefits of this driver over the C4 driver? I have never had one issue with the C4 that an Apple TV reboot didn’t resolve. And in those cases I don’n know if the issue was the Apple TV or C4. Since my Apple TV is located in my AV closet, I can reboot it from my wattbox.

6 minutes ago, jmb said:

Thanks.    Do you know why it breaks without the latest version?    I’m not sure sure why the March version wouldn’t continue to work.  

Thamks again. 

Does the driver not have auto update?

some benefits that I can think of off-hand:

1- setup is easier, just enter the IP address and it starts working.  Setup for the standard IP driver requires a 2nd apple device, on the same account.  half the time when I'm installing the owner is not present, and when they are, they don't remember their apple password so it becomes a big pain/time suck.

2-I've had several customers where we setup the standard driver and it works perfectly, but then stops working for some reason...as you've alluded to, yours hasn't been rock solid, you've had to reboot the Apple TV.  This isn't desirable in most cases...I get a phone call/email at 10pm because someone's Apple TV no longer works and of course its my poor programming that is at fault.

3 hours ago, jmb said:

Thamks again. 

The old version still works, but it operates in a different way.  The old driver maintained a constant connection to the ATV.  This is fine apart from when the connection drops momentarily... if the time period is very short, this is too fast for C4 to detect the network drop and therefore it can't tell the driver there's a need to send a reconnection routine - end result, control is lost till a reboot.

The new version connects very quickly (less than 100ms) every time you use it, so the above situation never happens.  This is the same way that Apple also do it for their iPhone app.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.