C4 Forums | Control4

Can't get new security panel zones added

I've got a DSC security panel using the IT-100 serial interface. It's working fine with my C4 system (HC-800) running 3.1.0, but I just added two more security zones and I can't get Composer to show the extra zones.

In the panel properties I've bumped up the number of zones by 2 and added those new zones to the partition 1 list. I've clicked on the little "read from panel" button at the top right of the properties page several times and I can see from the debug log that it knows about the new zones (I went from 12 zones to 14):

ReceivedFromProxy(): READ_PANEL_INFO on binding 5001; Call Function PRX_CMD.READ_PANEL_INFO()
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 1   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 2   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 3   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 4   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 5   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 6   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 7   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 8   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 9   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 10   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 11   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 12   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 13   to false
ZoneInformation:SetDataGuardFlag for Zone 14   to false
SecurityPanelCom_ReadPanelInfo
Starting Timer: OutQueue
Starting Timer: Info

The mobile app shows the new zones, but just as "Zone 13" and "Zone 14". It displays their open/closed status just fine, so most of what I need is working, but the "Zones" tab in Composer never adds extra rows to its list of zones to let me edit the names and the zone types. I suspect that the zone sync from the panel isn't working 100% because the mobile app shows the default zone names rather than the names I assigned in the DSC security panel (those show up correctly on my DSC touchscreen so I know they're configured correctly at the panel).

Clicking [Refresh] from the Actions tab doesn't help, nor does [Add Zone Drivers] - it just adds drivers for the original 12 zones.

Any ideas on how to get the two new zones to show up in the zone list so that I can edit their names and types?

48 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

You have to tell the security panel to broadcast the zone names. I forget the buttons you need to press to do this but I ran into it before as well.

I just tried that and then did "read from panel" again... no change :-(

2 minutes ago, rosenqui said:

I just tried that and then did "read from panel" again... no change 😞

how old is your keypad?  I had this issue several years ago and my older DSC keypads couldn't broadcast properly.  I also have the IT100 + HC800 so same boat as you.

Found this online, not 100% sure if this is exactly what I did as it was a long time ago:

Step 5 – Broadcast Labels The programmed labels can be broadcasted to all the PK5500(Z) keypads on the system. To broadcast labels, enter the following at the keypad that has the programmed labels: Enter LCD Section [998] Broadcast Label section Press [*] To begin the ‘broadcast’ label function Depending on the number of LCD keypads present, the broadcast feature may take up to 1 minute to complete. Note: The PK5500/RFK5500 LCD Label Broadcast is only supported on a PC1616, PC1832, or PC1864.

I've got one of the nice PTK5507 touchscreen keypads upstairs. The original (builder-supplied) PK5501 is down in the basement near the panel, but it doesn't get much use unless someone is doing stuff right at the panel.

The touchscreen has a [Broadcast Labels] button in its installer menu. I used that as well as the *998* option and it hasn't seemed to make any difference for getting the 2 extra zones to show up in Composer.

27 minutes ago, rosenqui said:

I've got one of the nice PTK5507 touchscreen keypads upstairs. The original (builder-supplied) PK5501 is down in the basement near the panel, but it doesn't get much use unless someone is doing stuff right at the panel.

The touchscreen has a [Broadcast Labels] button in its installer menu. I used that as well as the *998* option and it hasn't seemed to make any difference for getting the 2 extra zones to show up in Composer.

i was looking at an old thread where I had this issue.  What panel do you have?

the steps I had to follow:

1) Broadcast labels: enter installer code, go to section 998, hit * for yes

2) Enable auto Scroll: enter installer code, go to LCD programming (*), then go to section 076 and select option 8 (make sure 8 is lit) then exit programming

The panel is a PC1832. I'll try enabling auto scroll mode to see if that does anything.

As an aside though, when my system was upgraded to OS 3.1 the security panel driver had to be completely redone (I was on 2.8 previously). I never had to do any of this stuff when the tech remotely updated my system. The newer driver pulled the zone names & types the first time through, it just doesn't want to expand the [Zones] tab portion of the properties to include the new zones.

12 minutes ago, rosenqui said:

The panel is a PC1832. I'll try enabling auto scroll mode to see if that does anything.

As an aside though, when my system was upgraded to OS 3.1 the security panel driver had to be completely redone (I was on 2.8 previously). I never had to do any of this stuff when the tech remotely updated my system. The newer driver pulled the zone names & types the first time through, it just doesn't want to expand the [Zones] tab portion of the properties to include the new zones.

what driver are you using?

The driver is:

image.png.21a98e91d8aff51306356ae1f1806b58.png

Just to be clear, the only problem I'm having is that I can't get the top half of the security panel properties display to expand to 14 zones from the original 12.

image.png.694ec9ba3333a29cc707f598cacbe7ac.png

The Android C4 app and the Composer status for partition 1 know about the extra 2 zones, but I can't change their name & type since they're not in the list above.

image.png.fd599ca958dcad9292c390701138e43a.png

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

does a dealer need to bind anything in the driver to those zones?

I don't think so - I don't think the new zones even show up in the list of contact sensors until they show up in the top half of that display.

A lot of zones might not have/need any bindings unless you plan to use them in automation programming.

Yes, but only if you need a sensor object in the project for the sake of programming or binding.

The issue is that the panel side of that binding doesn't even appear in Composer. If it did, then the [Add Zone Drivers] action button would/should create the contact and wire it up, but it doesn't. It only adds objects for the first 12 zones:

image.png.10a8763fa989b1e38b2e11c4e2d87b97.png

Have you tried removing the RS-232 binding under Connections and then rebinding to see if it now finds all 14 zones ?

AND/OR

Removing the driver and re-adding ?

The way I remember the DSC driver working is that the zones are automatically found  at the point that the RS-232 binding is created.  Then you do a read from Panel to get the zone names and then Add Zone Drivers to create connections.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.