C4 Forums | Control4

Audio out from Airport Express?

Waring192

Question

Hello,

I am using my EA-3 and HC800 as audio sources for my C4 Matrix but was wondering if I could add a few more sources using some Apple Airport Express's I have knocking around? If not what about the Amazon Echo Input? I still would like to use the Control4 music GUI as I find that excellent. 

Last question, I have Apple Music (free with my phone contract) but Im happy to switch/add to a different one like Spotify. How can I add other services like Apple Music and Spotify?

Cheers

7 answers to this question

41 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

Last question, I have Apple Music (free with my phone contract) but Im happy to switch/add to a different one like Spotify. How can I add other services like Apple Music and Spotify?

There is an iTunes driver but does require a pc or equivalent to be always on and I’m not sure if this works with OS3 ( others can correct me on this).

amazon has better integration but a lot of people on here swear by Tidal for look and functionality.

9 minutes ago, tdougray said:

There is an iTunes driver but does require a pc or equivalent to be always on and I’m not sure if this works with OS3 ( others can correct me on this).

amazon has better integration but a lot of people on here swear by Tidal for look and functionality.

Many thanks. I have lots and lots of music I have ripped over the years and use in iTunes. I will see if there is a iTunes docker for my Unraid server which is on 24/7 or just create a OSX VM as I have plenty of resources available.

When you say Amazon has better integration, do you mean Alex voice or Amazon music?

So if I was to have a online streaming service like Tidal, Amazon Music or Apple Music and a local iTunes library how would it show in Navigator? Under music would there be a Tidal, Amazon Music etc button to press along with a iTunes one which streams locally?

Cheers

29 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

When you say Amazon has better integration, do you mean Alex voice or Amazon music?

Just because it’s part of the native music services available. I run Sonos and not fortunate enough to have an audio matrix and amp setup so cannot say for sure but I think all services show up under the listen menu providing you have enough audio outputs available to support the amount of services your trying to use.

Again I can’t say for sure that this is 💯 correct and others I’m sure will correct me.

so apologies in advance is not correct.

2 hours ago, tdougray said:

Just because it’s part of the native music services available. I run Sonos and not fortunate enough to have an audio matrix and amp setup so cannot say for sure but I think all services show up under the listen menu providing you have enough audio outputs available to support the amount of services your trying to use.

Again I can’t say for sure that this is 💯 correct and others I’m sure will correct me.

so apologies in advance is not correct.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. So like I asked it will be almost like having extra outputs on the EA-3 or HC800? Or do you mean ‘Amazon Music’ the service for listening?

If it’s the first one it sounds perfect as I have 1 analog output from the EA-3 and 2 from the HC800. I heard that there can be problems mixing digital and analog so was going to stick to either one. I don’t need any more echo dots so if I used the echo inputs would that be ok? I’m sure I read on here that you might need to pair it with a dot for audio output though, in which case I wouldn’t attach a 3.5mm cable to it and just use 3.5mm from the input to the Control4 Matrix. Then while using the navigator the input/dot can be programmed to display just like one of the outputs of the controllers?

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Waring192 said:

Or do you mean ‘Amazon Music’ the service for listening?

Yep.

as for the rest I really can’t say for sure I’m afraid. I think the reason you don’t mix is because of sync issues

3 hours ago, tdougray said:

Yep.

as for the rest I really can’t say for sure I’m afraid. I think the reason you don’t mix is because of sync issues

Ahh I see. To be honest I’m more interested in the C4 GUI to Matrix connection more than the music service provider. 

The iTunes driver was OK and had its place in OS2. I used it to get Apple Music working (in a jippo fashion) for years.  However, it does not work in OS3 (more accurately, it does not work at all in OS3.1 and lost all of its useful functionality in OS3.0).

Tidal or Deezer have the nicest GUIs when it comes to streaming.

In order to get music that you have ripped to work via the C4 interface, the best is to use a DLNA server but with or without this, your dealer can get this working pretty easily as this is standard C4 utilization.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.