C4 Forums | Control4

Advice - What do I need to Update?

AidenL

Hi all,

Looking for some guidance here. 

I have a HC800, installed mid 2015. It basically controls the whole house lighting, which is a Phillips Dynalite setup, with some Hues in the Cinema also over the screen, just to wash the screen with colour before startup etc. Also, a 6 room ceiling speaker system, and the main living room.

Lately, I have seen the Apple TV driver stop working over IP - I believe Id need a new controller and a new driver to kickstart that again. We use the ATV quite a lot, so id like it working again. I understand it can be set up on the HC800 via IR bud, is that true?

My Phillips Hue also seem to have lost colour control via C4 also - is that to be expected?

I suppose basically, I'm wondering do I need a new controller and a complete redo of my drivers to get the house fully operating again. 

What exactly does the new Apple TV driver give us? Will Apple Music work natively now?

Can C4 control Phillips Hue natively now also? 

We have relatively simple needs from the system, but right now, its half working, half broken, wondering should I either spend some to patch it up, spend a lot more and replace the controller, or move to something simpler like Harmony.

Thanks in advance. 

Of you get an EA5, that will get Apple TV working with the native driver but nothing will change (in terms of what you have compared to what you see to have).  The other advantages of moving to an EA5 would include getting the OSD back on OS3 (May not be of interest to you) and better future proofing.

A much cheaper alternative (in terms of fixing the Apple TV and doing this via IP) would be to get the @IntrinsicGroup Apple TV driver which reportedly works on an HC800 just fine.

4 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Of you get an EA5, that will get Apple TV working with the native driver but nothing will change (in terms of what you have compared to what you see to have).  The other advantages of moving to an EA5 would include getting the OSD back on OS3 (May not be of interest to you) and better future proofing.

A much cheaper alternative (in terms of fixing the Apple TV and doing this via IP) would be to get the @IntrinsicGroup Apple TV driver which reportedly works on an HC800 just fine.

Thanks, that driver for the ATV looks great, just read their thread. Like you, I'm an Infuse user too, great app. 

The controller is still good. Do you use the on screen display?

If you don't you can upgrade to os3

If you do adding an ea1 or ea3 from your dealer or eBay and using that for the OSD will be the hardware add you need.

Some of these drivers have been broken by device firmware upgrades. Upgrade your controller and upgrade the drivers and you will have a good as 2015 system for little money.

If you can plug the EA1 in to your network and the right HDMI - Hint it's the one going into the HC800 right now. The you should be able to get this done for a very reasonable investment.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, AidenL said:

Hi all,

Looking for some guidance here. 

I have a HC800, installed mid 2015. 

Lately, I have seen the Apple TV driver stop working over IP - I believe Id need a new controller and a new driver to kickstart that again. We use the ATV quite a lot, so id like it working again. I understand it can be set up on the HC800 via IR bud, is that true?

I have an HC800 as my main controller and I use Apple TV all the time - I use the IP driver - not sure why you think you need a new controller for this?

mind you, my ATV is not the latest - Gen 3 I think - are there issues with the newer version with the IP Driver?

I have an HC800 as my main controller and I use Apple TV all the time - I use the IP driver - not sure why you think you need a new controller for this?
mind you, my ATV is not the latest - Gen 3 I think - are there issues with the newer version with the IP Driver?

4k atv requires an ea controller

13 hours ago, msgreenf said:
13 hours ago, brucecampbell said:

4k atv requires an ea controller

Our driver will work on EA series too: https://www.intrinsicdev.co.uk/downloads/apple-tv-driver-control4/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. 

Maybe the OS 3 upgrade, even without the OSD would be a good visual improvement on the phone and tablet apps. Plus the Intrinsic driver. 

Another question - I have a C4 PIR inside my back door - my dealer never used it for anything in the end -  seems he surrendered on it.

What do you guys typically use a PIR to do? I can relocate it somewhere else to get the maximum utility from it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.