C4 Forums | Control4

OS3 Wishlist items, for a better experience

Jayaredoubleu

So far, I have been quite happy overall with the OS3 improvements, but I do have a few features I VERY much would like to see. 

Please comment/like/support these feature requests if you feel the same way!

1. In Sessions on OS Navigator, for single zone instances, please display remove the "collapse" function, and just display the room name and source (e.g. Pandora)
    1. Reasoning:   
      1. I love the new collapse feature, but it only is beneficial if you have multiple rooms as part of grouped zone.   If, however, you have several single source audio zones playing at one time (which isn't uncommon), you can't see where the sessions are playing unless you manually click the collapse icon on each individual zone. 
      2. There is no value in having a "collapse" pull-down if you have a single room playing.   Since, all you get is the ability to control individual audio zones, you essentially have a duplication of the master slider. 
  2. In Sessions on OS Navigator, please allow an ability to click on the icon in top left as a "jump to room controls".  
    1. Reasoning:   
      1. If you go to sessions and want to go directly to that room it takes a minimum of 4 button clicks to get to the controls.   Why not just have a direct link if you are already in that page?
      2. This could allow a quick link to get to rooms audio controls, so it isn't depending on the last room you left the OS navigator in.   Its common for me to pull up sessions to find out music/tv is playing in another room.  (e.g. lets say my sons room).   If I then go to my sons room and want to change audio stations, I can't do it without quite a few clicks to get to his room and audio. 
      3. Sonos already has this - that is how their system works. 
      4. It wouldn't matter if you have multiple rooms playing, just take the controls to any of those rooms (as any room controls the whole group)
  3. Add the "current time" and "end time" back to the progress bar for audio controls
    1. Reasoning:
      1. Every major system on the market (including Sonos) already shows this info, meaning most customers value it
      2. If you have a white background for album art, it is very difficult to track the song progress
      3. If users listen to classical music or live music with very long songs, its hard to know how long is left.   (for example, if the first song is 3 minutes, but the second is 17, you have no idea)
      4. If you have audio files loaded in your system - you have no idea who long is left in those audio files. (e.g. audio book files)
  4. Add some identification to icons to tell the user that they can hold the icon for more features.   I would support ANYTHING here, but my best suggestion is to have a small red dot under the icon.   If you see the red dot, you know you can hold the icon to get a menu
    1. Reasoning:
      1. It took me forever to find out my lock icon had a hidden menu.   I have to explain this to every guest in my house who uses my system, as it is not intuitive at all
  5. Add an ability in Composer to have an icon directly take you to an icon's "hold" menu.   
    1. Reasoning:
      1. This now gives the user the option to decide if they want to hold an icon to access a menu, or have an entirely separate other button to access a menu.  Best example is having a "Lock icon" to lock/unlock a door, but a separate icon called "lock settings", that solely accesses the menu.    Right now there is no ability to program this. 
  6. Have an ability to determine icon size (e.g. small, medium, large).   And with each selection, it allows more or less icons to be displayed on a page. 
    1. Reasoning:
      1. Large icons are great for people that have 1-6 icons per page.   But if someone has 12+, there is no easy option for displaying those 12 items.  Let customers decide if they want more/smaller icons, versus fewer/larger icons. 
      2. It is not intuitive to scroll down to look for more icons.   Think about how you use your phone, you are used to swiping left/right for more icons, not up/down.   But in C4's case, swiping left/right switches rooms.   So, to a new user to a system, they might not even know more icons exist on a page. 
  7. Have an ability to move icons into desired positions (vs being required to fill top left spot first, top right second, etc.).
    1. Reasoning:
      1. Most people are used to this on their phones already.   You can move icons to whatever "slot" you want to.   Should be the same for this navigator. 
      2. It would be really nice to have icons for rooms be in the same spot.  Example:  I would want watch to be top left, listen top right, lighting middle left, and security middle right.   However, if I go to a room that doesn't have watch/listen, the lighting and security are still in the same spot.   Right now, they are in different spots on every page. 
  8. Allow "Scenario Experience Button Drivers" to have a menu option.   (This would be like combining custom buttons and scenario experience buttons..  Ideally I want a button called "House Mode", and when I click it, I get several options.  Then when I pick that option, my icon changes to that mode, so I can quickly tell what mode my house is in)
    1. Reasoning:
      1. Custom Buttons right now don't provide feedback, so you don't know what was selected or if it was selected
      2. Scenario Experience Buttons (or any other driver that allows an icon to change between two states) won't allow more than 2 states to be selected.   Currently "Modes Agent" on driver central allows me the ability to create multiple house modes, but the only way to get this to work is to have a mode button for every mode, not just ONE mode button for all Modes.    
      3. Another examples of usefulness would be holiday lighting.   I would like to have a holiday lighting menu button that allows me to switch between many holidays, so that my lights change colors for the holidays. Ideally I would like to not only have a menu to select different holidays, but also quickly see what holiday lighting is currently active.  ( I already have this in my system through custom buttons, but I can't tell what holiday mode I currently am in).   

These are just a few examples I have come up with - once again, I welcome your feedback and comments!   I want to keep making OS3 better!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.