C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 or Savant?

janthony6

I may be getting a new home soon.  I currently use Control4 and would have ditched it if not for learning how to program it myself.  

The house that I’m closing in on was designed to be used with either so I’m curious about how Savant might be better and if it requires a dealer to do everything or if the user can use their software to make changes as well.  I really like how their stuff is very Apple.

The house is designed for all the tvs to use a balun going to one central closet that houses all the networking, audio, video, etc.  

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Savant's blueprint software is locked down to dealers only (dealers used to have to pay for blueprint licences but not sure if they do that anymore.  We paid a few thousand dollars back when i used to program it for a licence).  The software is not like composer where you can program the system on the fly.  You need to create the project in blueprint before uploading to to the Savant Host.  This takes a few minutes each time and if you make a mistake you do it all over again.

Like all professionally installed home automation systems it is not designed to be end-user programmable.

Although Savant used to be have affiliations iwth Apple (it utilised mac minis for their hosts) they have now introduced linuxed based entry level hosts to bring down the financial barrier for level of entry.

Sounds like the house is either using HDBaseT or AVoverIP technology for video distribution.  Assuming they just ran CAT6 to each TV location.

If you want any control To program it’s C4.  If you don’t care about your ability to program do you have any odd requirements - like a certain random hvac unit?  If not it really comes to what UI you prefer and what dealer you have the most confidence in to deliver the project properly 

8 hours ago, janthony6 said:

I do all my programming in composer pro.  It’s possible for any user to do it.  

im interested in finding out if savant has anything like composer pro that an end user can figure out.

Probably should go on the dealer forum 😊

10 hours ago, janthony6 said:

I do all my programming in composer pro.  It’s possible for any user to do it.  

im interested in finding out if savant has anything like composer pro that an end user can figure out.

No - they don't. I think that question has been answered pretty clearly here already.

There is some programming you can do. I say programming, obviously I mean basic stuff. I can set up scenes. I can build them by adjusting each item or I can take a snapshot of the way the house is at any current time and save it as a scene. I can also set up schedule. All can be done from the app. Definitely not as comprehensive as HE but stuff can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.