C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Echo output using native C4 GUI?

Waring192

Hello,

I may of asked similar before but using the native C4 music GUI on the 3.0+ navigator can you plug a Amazon Echo and/or Amazon input into the C4 matrix to add another source?

Example being you use the C4 music GUI to play a song and select bedroom for example or play music while in the bedroom section and it outputs via the Amazon Echo/Input to the C4 matrix which then goes to the C4 amp and then to the ceiling speakers in the bedroom?

Cheers

1 hour ago, KWD said:

AFAIK C4 has no way to route music to a Echo. You could use the Echo to play music via Alexa/Alexa app and have it play through the matrix. 

Ahh ok, so you would be using the Alexa app on your phone, not using the C4 navigator? If so that's a shame. 

Im 99% sure I read msgreenf mention something about what I was wanting but maybe a read it wrong :( 

I thought I asked the question before. Found this I asked a quite ago:

On 1/31/2019 at 4:41 AM,  Wattsup said: 

If you put a Dot in the rack connected to the c4 audio matrix input you can group that device within the Alexa app with another Dot/Echo and chose which speaker is used to output the response. Mine is set up this way and works great! Mitch (msgreen) did the remote programming for me.

msgreenf replied:

yup! This is the best way to do it today and I am happy to help anyone else set it up!

So it sounds like it would work?!

4 hours ago, Waring192 said:

I thought I asked the question before. Found this I asked a quite ago:

msgreenf replied:

So it sounds like it would work?!

i don't think that is achieving what you are after.  Doing that will allow you to talk to an Echo dot in one room and have it turn on music thru control4 connected Audio matrix/speakers.  There is no use of the control4 GUI in this process.  It's all voice and lots of programming 

Ahh I see!

Thank you very much for explaining. I was really looking for a cheap way to add more inputs as I only have a EA-5 but have ordered a HC-800 to act as a slave. 

On the subject of outputs, I read that combining analog and digital is not good? Is that correct?

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Thepritch88 said:

You can combine analog and digital just fine. It’s not recommended to use the hdmi  output of a controller for audio in to distribution systems as there can be a delay on the hdmi audio, people still do it though 

Ahh I see, so analog and digital audio outputs together are fine?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.