C4 Forums | Control4

Have Control4 Thermostat use Z2IO Temperature for Regulation?

Don Cohen

I have an Aprilaire Control4 Thermostat in my Theater Room (named "Theater Thermostat" in Composer Pro).  It is next to a window with a blackout shade, so the greenhouse effect there can make the temperature higher than elsewhere in the room, and make it difficult to control.

I also have a Z2IO in the room (named C4-Z2IO in Composer Pro), where the Projector is mounted, to provide IR control of the Projector.  Knowing it has a Temperature Sensor, I added a Control4 Virtual  Temperature Display Driver (named "Temperature-Projector" in Composer Pro), and connected it to the Temperature output from the Z2IO.  So I can now see what the temperature is at the Projector in the T3, Android App, etc.

What I would like to do is have the Thermostat utilize the temperature reading from the Z2IO for regulating the system, *rather* than the Thermostat's Built-in Sensor.

So I connected the Thermostat's Temperature Control Input to the Z2IO's Temperature Internal Output, thinking this would accomplish what I want.  I've attached a screen capture showing this.

But it doesn't seem to actually be working.  The Thermostat still displays the reading of the Built-in sensor, and seems to be basing its operation on this value, rather than that from the Z2IO.

What do I need to do differently, or is this not possible to do in the first place?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2019-11-28 12.32.27.png

Thanks. That's what it was looking like.

Yeah, I'm aware of the Wired sensor, but not worth the hassle in this particular situation.

Seems a shame as you'd think there would be way for the Thermostat to simply tap into another temperature reading for this purpose.

Oh well. 

I think the justification is that if Zigbee were to go away, the thermostat should still work properly.

A wired sensor does not require Zigbee infrastructure to work.

I know, a failover to the hardwired sensor should work in that sort of case, but what happens if the thermostat is installed in a permanently cold room (say in the basement), and Zigbee goes away, so the temperature fails over to the 'internal' one, the heat would permanently be on for the room, since the heating system would think it was still cold.

RyanE

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Cinegration said:

Did you adjust the setting on the thermostat to read the external Control4 input?  You have to do this physically on the thermostat as well as the binding. 

This was back in the fall, and as I recall I didn't.  But in this regard, isn't this for when you have a Wired remote temperature sensor, rather than a Zigbee sensor?

After the posts from RyanE and msgreenf, indicating it isn't possible to use a Zigbee connected Temperature sensor instead of the built-in Temperature Sensor (or wired one), I stopped trying.

It’s 100% possible.  We’ve done this a lot.  The thermostat has 3 modes of temp, internal, wired external and Control4 input.  You have to manually change it to the third for it to work.  I wish it did this via programming though. 

we had a customer where the wired temp was reading a cooler Temp because the sensor was mounted in the entry way.  I put a zio near the bed and poof. Customer happy lol

6 minutes ago, Cinegration said:

It’s 100% possible.  We’ve done this a lot.  The thermostat has 3 modes of temp, internal, wired external and Control4 input.  You have to manually change it to the third for it to work.  I wish it did this via programming though. 

we had a customer where the wired temp was reading a cooler Temp because the sensor was mounted in the entry way.  I put a zio near the bed and poof. Customer happy lol

Very interesting!  This could definitely come in handy.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Cinegration said:

Yeah... the Aprilaire Control4 thermostat is our go to therm.  It has everything you need. Spec these and you should be good for almost any situation. 

I'm looking through the Installation Guide PDF, and in the Installer System Settings Guide, the only place where I see these 3 options is with Item # 16: "Outdoor Sensor."  Isn't this a different function from the "Primary Sensor" which is either Built-in or Wired?

22 minutes ago, Don Cohen said:

I'm looking through the Installation Guide PDF, and in the Installer System Settings Guide, the only place where I see these 3 options is with Item # 16: "Outdoor Sensor."  Isn't this a different function from the "Primary Sensor" which is either Built-in or Wired?

I assume the combination of toggling #14 and #13 give you 3 options with #13 deciding if remote means wired or via programming. Looking forward to Cinegration's wisdom.

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

I assume the combination of toggling #14 and #13 give you 3 options with #13 deciding if remote means wired or via programming. Looking forward to Cinegration's wisdom.

It could be.  The thing is when I read in the PDF, "Outdoor Sensor" is used for other functions, like Humidity Mode, "Low and High Balance Point," and apparently other Indoor Air Quality options.  These seem to have nothing to do with the Primary Temperature reading that the unit would use to regular temperature in the room.

Hopefully I'm missing something (wouldn't be the first time!).

38 minutes ago, Cinegration said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IqgQqVLn9oiuRCkmF8TcPa8a2gtb8_xs/view?usp=sharing

Here's a video I did on where you adjust the setting.  Once you do this, make your binding and you should be good.

Very interesting - thanks for this.

As Pounce points out, the Installer Manual for System Setting 13 doesn't include the Control4 Value option, but this video shows otherwise.

I'll definitely have to try this out.

• 2 years later...

just was looking for a way to do this, and it works great with the z2io and aprilaire. hopefully if there is a zigbee failure, the therm will default back to the internal sensor. I will next try doing this with two z2io and the temp aggregator driver to see if I can even out the temps across the bedrooms in my basement. I wish the therm would read back a temp into the aggregator as well, but it does not seem to pass this value.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.