Don Cohen

Have Control4 Thermostat use Z2IO Temperature for Regulation?

I have an Aprilaire Control4 Thermostat in my Theater Room (named "Theater Thermostat" in Composer Pro).  It is next to a window with a blackout shade, so the greenhouse effect there can make the temperature higher than elsewhere in the room, and make it difficult to control.

I also have a Z2IO in the room (named C4-Z2IO in Composer Pro), where the Projector is mounted, to provide IR control of the Projector.  Knowing it has a Temperature Sensor, I added a Control4 Virtual  Temperature Display Driver (named "Temperature-Projector" in Composer Pro), and connected it to the Temperature output from the Z2IO.  So I can now see what the temperature is at the Projector in the T3, Android App, etc.

What I would like to do is have the Thermostat utilize the temperature reading from the Z2IO for regulating the system, *rather* than the Thermostat's Built-in Sensor.

So I connected the Thermostat's Temperature Control Input to the Z2IO's Temperature Internal Output, thinking this would accomplish what I want.  I've attached a screen capture showing this.

But it doesn't seem to actually be working.  The Thermostat still displays the reading of the Built-in sensor, and seems to be basing its operation on this value, rather than that from the Z2IO.

What do I need to do differently, or is this not possible to do in the first place?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2019-11-28 12.32.27.png

The lack of reply makes me wonder if it's possible to use the Z2IO temperature reading to control the Thermostat, but thought I'd just bump it and get a few more eyes on this.

Thanks.

Thanks. That's what it was looking like.

Yeah, I'm aware of the Wired sensor, but not worth the hassle in this particular situation.

Seems a shame as you'd think there would be way for the Thermostat to simply tap into another temperature reading for this purpose.

Oh well. 

I think the justification is that if Zigbee were to go away, the thermostat should still work properly.

A wired sensor does not require Zigbee infrastructure to work.

I know, a failover to the hardwired sensor should work in that sort of case, but what happens if the thermostat is installed in a permanently cold room (say in the basement), and Zigbee goes away, so the temperature fails over to the 'internal' one, the heat would permanently be on for the room, since the heating system would think it was still cold.

RyanE

I can see what you're saying, although I would prefer to have the option, with the onus on me to avoid undesired consequences.

But regardless, it is what it is, and appreciate your replies.

also most of the time they are positioned in a place that would not accurately reflect the temperature in a room. So I would not want the temperature in a cabinet or behind a TV to be directly tied to my thermostat

True, although in my particular situation, the Z2IO is in a somewhat better place than the Thermostat itself (for at least certain times of day).  But in general your point is certainly appropriate.