C4 Forums | Control4

State of Media Player Integration

Time2Jet

Following the recommendation of a few fellow members, I extended 2 Roku Ultras over Baluns via a Denon AVR to two rooms.

They worked fantastic up until a recent Roku update crippled the HDR 60Hz and caused crazy HDCP issues. This persists and Roku has not fully acknowledged. They just keep telling everyone to “reset” and check your cables and other devices. It’s not cables and it’s not “other” devices. Seems to have stricken more people running these devices through an AVR, but it’s not limited to us. There’s so many theories as to what’s going on, but coincidentally this update was sent as Disney+ was launched... making some think this may have been a DRM issue and Roku just didn’t get it right. I guess the reason doesn’t matter. A fix would be nice. But to fix it, they’d have to acknowledge it. I don’t even think everyone realizes that they’re Roku’s are broken. But if you try to lock in 4KHDR 60Hz, odds are, you can’t. Apps will also launch slower and you’ll get flickering and odd behavior during the launches. If you’re extending or running through an AVR, odds are you’ve noticed issues. If you haven’t, try pushing 4kHDR 60Hz. It worked fine until the recent (November something) update.

All that said, what are your options right now on media player selection? I’m used to Roku’s GUI, so I’m partial to it and don’t want to sacrifice direct launching of mini apps. I also want to make sure if I switch I can stream in HDR, Dolby Vision etc. I know all of that gets complicated by individual app, etc. I don’t think anyone has ever posted a “definitive guide to media players that integrate with C4”, but it’d be useful (like a sticky that updates as features are added, drivers break with updates and OS changes, etc.)

That’s a lot to ask, so maybe some recommendations and reasons why?

But for this update break, the Roku Ultra, although lacking Dolby Vision support, was near perfect. Nice interface and its driver allows for direct mini app launching and the apps generally loaded fast.

Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my Ultras just started having annoying issues.  This one is connected to a Denon x4300h.  When I turn on the TV/AVR/Roku (via Watch), the TV says "No Signal."  It won't even show the Denon OSD.  Other video sources connected to the Denon work just fine.  The way that I have been "fixing" this is to manually pull the power on the Roku.  Once it boots back up, everything is fine again until the next power cycle of the TV/AVR/Roku.  Luckily this Roku is not behind a TV, it's in a cabinet.

Is this similar to the problem you are having?  I haven't had time to do any research, but now that you say it, it did start around the time that Disney+ was launched.  It's driving my wife and I nuts.  I have 3 other Ultra's in the house that are not connected to AVR's, and I am not having the issue with them.

40 minutes ago, time2jet said:

Following the recommendation of a few fellow members, I extended 2 Roku Ultras over Baluns via a Denon AVR to two rooms.

They worked fantastic up until a recent Roku update crippled the HDR 60Hz and caused crazy HDCP issues. This persists and Roku has not fully acknowledged. They just keep telling everyone to “reset” and check your cables and other devices. 

Do you have a link to a thread where people are reporting these issues?

One of my Ultras just started having annoying issues.  This one is connected to a Denon x4300h.  When I turn on the TV/AVR/Roku (via Watch), the TV says "No Signal."  It won't even show the Denon OSD.  Other video sources connected to the Denon work just fine.  The way that I have been "fixing" this is to manually pull the power on the Roku.  Once it boots back up, everything is fine again until the next power cycle of the TV/AVR/Roku.  Luckily this Roku is not behind a TV, it's in a cabinet.
Is this similar to the problem you are having?  I haven't had time to do any research, but now that you say it, it did start around the time that Disney+ was launched.  It's driving my wife and I nuts.  I have 3 other Ultra's in the house that are not connected to AVR's, and I am not having the issue with them.

@LollerAgent

Yes, this is precisely the issue I’m having. Identical. And I agree, that’s the only workaround I guess, until it gets fixed. I have wasted 2 weeks of my life pulling my hair out blaming the Denon, Cables, the Samsung TV, baluns... and it’s even worse if you’re outputting through Zone 2.

Funny thing is Roku won’t acknowledge that there’s an issue. I mean, why not just admit it’s broken and being worked on? Almost everyone with this issue is running through an AVR. So it’s not hitting everyone.

Did you try to check the HDR 60Hz to see if that fails? I’d like to make sure we have the exact same situation.

Actually, my mother in law just tried watching “Cold Case” on the The Roku Channel (she volunteered to try something with advertisements). Unwatchable. When it tries to show an advertisement/commercial it alternates between the spinning Roku loading wheel and the blank Samsung TV HDMI screen before and after each individual ad. I assume this is because of the resolution of the ads being different than the show content. Nuts.

31 seconds ago

Can you also post here?  Finally, I think Roku is admitting there is a problem. Some end users have been brutal, I tried to keep my cool and got a response from RokuTannerD

Re: Latest update breaks 4k 60hz

@Rich428 Thanks. I appreciate the understanding and help gathering details here. These are very useful when working to reproduce and capture additional insights about an issue. It's always worth noting some of the basic T/S steps, just in case other people may not have tried them, however, I completely understand your perspective. 

Our team is diligently working to help identify a resolution and help get things back on track. If you have any further questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out directly. 

I'll be sure to keep everyone on this thread updated as soon as we know more. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

FYI - If you PM @RokuTannerD on the Roku Forums with your Roku user ID (email) and serial number, he will initiate a manual rollback of the firmware on your Roku devices that are having this issue.

Just an update:

This problem has persisted. Both of my Ultras are extended via the Denon X8500. The one that is extended via Monitor 1 is working fine. (No handshake issues and handles sending HDR@60Hz fine). But the second one extended via Zone 2 is still flakey (and has never worked since 9.2.0 at HDR 60HZ, but even more so 90% of the time won’t even send any signal whatsoever).

Tanner at Roku has been amazing, but the poor guy is so beaten down over this, I actually feel bad for him. He’ll work with any of us that are having these HDCP issues, but after a solid week of work we’ve failed to get one of mine up. Please PM him for help with this as @LollerAgent mentioned. If you don’t attack him and threaten to tank Roku stock (you can’t imagine how irrational people are), he’ll seriously help you until it gets fixed.

For me, he’s finally decided to send me out a new Ultra to swap the one that hasn’t played nice, even after all of his work (sending patches directly to my box, etc.)

This has been quite the experience. If you’ve followed my “Watch Issues” thread, turns out all of that was a result of the Roku. I literally have spent 2-3 solid weeks pulling my hair out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.