C4 Forums | Control4

Shield Tv PoE?

eggzlot

I have a 2017 shield Tv. Based on how stupid contractor installed tv mount and outlets I cannot get the tv flush due to size of shield power brick

i saw old threads basically saying the 2017 has a proprietary power brick and I am SoL

anyone have a work around?  I am even open to buying the 2019 model if the brick is smaller or one could hack a PoE adapter for it

thanks 

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Thanks saw that thread and a few others.  I’m not keen on cutting and splicing wires - I’ll blow up the device or the house.  Was hoping for more of a purchased device.  That tp link splitter doesn’t look fancy or special?

13 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Does the shield support USB c PD?

Texas Wi-Fi support sent me a link to that device

its on amazon with prime and free returns.  Hate buying and returning but their support recommend the product.  So if it doesn’t work I don’t mind returning it 

34 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

What surface is the TV mounted on? Can you not pull the TV down, but a cavity in the wall, and put it in there? Then put the TV back on over the cavity?

At that point I can just move the bracket. 
sorry for sideways image.  

im going to try the Texas Wi-Fi PoE device which I can mount to the wall with mollies if it works 

3D02FFDD-A344-4424-B41A-93375D3FE481.jpeg

18 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Just cut the drywall and put a back box in. 

I’d have to put the outlet in the backbox.  I don’t feel comfortable messing with the power in that manner.  I have the usbc PoE sitting on my porch.  I’ll hook it up this afternoon

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

I’d have to put the outlet in the backbox.  I don’t feel comfortable messing with the power in that manner.  I have the usbc PoE sitting on my porch.  I’ll hook it up this afternoon

Ah, I see the Power Brick now. For these situations I keep some short “extension” cords that have a flat head. Allows me to get the bulky part where I want it. 

5 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Ah, I see the Power Brick now. For these situations I keep some short “extension” cords that have a flat head. Allows me to get the bulky part where I want it. 

I tried one of those but again its a pretty thick box so it still dangles back there, trying to remove it completely 

I am using this to mount the shield to the back fo the TV: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1388890-REG/hideit_mounts_hideit_shield_2_nvidia_shield_tv_mini.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWdVGuHCT4foLMRy12QYqxP7FRcx-y4tL-px4jBmAAQg0rpC9a7WkGBoCRycQAvD_BwE

the unit from Texas WiFi came, just waiting on some USBC to USBC cables to arrive later today.  The Texas WiFi piece is very small and will sit perfectly on top of the bracket since there is a lip it will stay there and i do not have to mess with any installation or mounting, etc.  should help clean it all up assuming it provides the power.

if it works ill take some better photos not sideways so you can see how small the unit is and tucks right in there

I have a flat head extension.  For now I have the wall wart tied to the side of the mount arm.  Seems good enough.  I don’t want to cut a hole and stuff in the wart.  Who knows in a year or so if I’ll need to swap devices or something.  And doubt it’s code to shove that in the wall 🙂

thanks though 

50 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

I have a flat head extension.  For now I have the wall wart tied to the side of the mount arm.  Seems good enough.  I don’t want to cut a hole and stuff in the wart.  Who knows in a year or so if I’ll need to swap devices or something.  And doubt it’s code to shove that in the wall 🙂

thanks though 

Well, that's the quick and dirty way. The RIGHT way (in my opinion) is to put in a Versabox behind the TV.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.