C4 Forums | Control4

Controlling Somfy Blinds

ILoveC4

So, I'm getting ready to order new rollers shades. 12 of them. 5 which will all open/close together, 4 which will all open/close together, 2 which will open/close together and then 1 on it's own.

The shades have battery powered Somfy motors in them. What do I need in order to control them? The company wants to sell me a "16 channel ertsy" (ert-c is how they are pronouncing it) for $432. Is that the best way to control it, and is that going to interface with C4? These guys don't seem real knowledgeable with the control side of things and I know some folks here have expertise.

Thanks in advance.

I know Mitch likes the Bond device.  I use the native Somfy MyLink if compatible.  Its native to Somfy so no worries about something extra breaking an API down the line, going out of business, etc (nothing personal against Bond)

Bond is more robust as its good for general RF Devices.  The Somfy MyLink was a little flakey with wifi connection but since 5.20 and beyond their device has had 100% uptime in my house and just works.

I also use the MyLink.. it has it's annoyances, but it seems to work fine for my limited use-case.  It was frustrating because I had to purchase a Somfy remote to program them in addition to the MyLink device.  MyLink is necessary for me, because I use the MyLink preset's to open/close my blinds (these are actual slat blinds, not shades) and C4 to recall those presets.  Otherwise, C4 can only move the blinds all the way up (closed) or all the way down (closed as well).  Not sure I could do that with Bond.

+1 on using MyLink with C4 as well.  I agree with the others that by itself it can have some frustrations but with my experience using it with my exterior shades and C4 it works.  I did have to assign a static IP address for MyLink after an initial hiccup but it has been fine since then.  If you do a search on the web you can usually find a much better price for the MyLink unit as well as the Somfy remote.  Just have those ready when the install of the blinds is being done. 

51 minutes ago, PorterTX said:

+1 on using MyLink with C4 as well.  I agree with the others that by itself it can have some frustrations but with my experience using it with my exterior shades and C4 it works.  I did have to assign a static IP address for MyLink after an initial hiccup but it has been fine since then.  If you do a search on the web you can usually find a much better price for the MyLink unit as well as the Somfy remote.  Just have those ready when the install of the blinds is being done. 

Thanks. I will be doing the installation of the blinds. A number of years ago I wanted to buy some large motorized sunshades, and the ones I found I wanted didn’t have a retailer anywhere close to me. So, I set a company I own up as a distributor for their products. I’m going to take advantage of that for these shades as well (they manufacture and offer interior roller shades in addition to the exterior sunshades which I purchased last time).

So, it looks like the MyLink plugs in to a power outlet, connects to WiFi and then sends radio signals to the shades. That’s the general gist of it?

So is there a native driver for MyLink? Is there anything else I need OTHER THAN the MyLink to control the shades with Control4?

3 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

So, it looks like the MyLink plugs in to a power outlet, connects to WiFi and then sends radio signals to the shades. That’s the general gist of it?

So is there a native driver for MyLink? Is there anything else I need OTHER THAN the MyLink to control the shades with Control4?

Correct on how the MyLink works but as stated you will need a Somfy remote as well to get it started.  I believe the driver is available on the Somfy website but I am guessing in Pro as well? In HE mine says 'Somfy myLink Interface v2.1" for RTS blinds. https://www.somfysystems.com/en-us/products/smart-home-controls/smart-home/automation-systems/control4

23 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I am using a paid driver: https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/blinds-shades/somfy-blind-driver-v2-proxy/

not sure if there are free ones but this has been flawless, mimics 2 way feedback, can set to various %s, etc.

agree with @LollerAgent on the free driver.  Worst case you try that one and then you have a back up option if you need more features.  I have a fairly simple setup with 2 exterior shades to create a screened in porch that operate jointly but also independently if needed so I only really needed the ability to go up & down.  

3 hours ago, PorterTX said:

agree with @LollerAgent on the free driver.  Worst case you try that one and then you have a back up option if you need more features.  I have a fairly simple setup with 2 exterior shades to create a screened in porch that operate jointly but also independently if needed so I only really needed the ability to go up & down.  

Yeah, I just need up and down. One bank of 9 that will go together (May split it in to a bank of 5 and a bank of 4), a bank of 2 and then one on its own. Roller shades so up/down is perfect. 

I went with the MyLink. Thanks guys!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.