C4 Forums | Control4

google nest thermostat integration

Jay Papp

I know it was said back in the summer that control4 was working on integration with google due to the discontinuation of the works with nest program.  I see that the google assistant driver is out however I still don't see a way to use this driver to control the thermostat when under a google account.  Has there been anything else said or released on this that I am missing.  If not is there a timeline as I know eventually google is going to force me to convert.

@Jay Papp if you migrated to the google account with your Nest, you'll have to wait. I have stayed on my original Nest account and been fine. But I believe you may not be able to authorize the old Nest style account any longer. Someone else may chime in on this with more current info on nest accounts, I haven't tried to add one since August.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Quick question...I have a two zone home with both zones using 2nd Gen Nest Learning TStats.  Both TStats have been integrated into my C4 project since 2014.  The rotating bezel on one of the TStas failed I just replaced one 2nd Gen Nest TStat with a brand new 3rd Gen Nest Learning TStat. 

I successfully remove the old TStat from the Nest App and added the new 3rd Gen.  I am still using the original Nest App...I have not migrated to a Google Account.  Inside the Nest App everything is working great with both 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen TStats working perfectly.

In Composer Pro I removed the old TStat and upgraded the master driver from the old 2014 Nest driver to the Nest Master Driver OS2.7+.  I then successfully entered the pin code and connected the API to my Nest account.  For the last step, I clicked on Setup Account / Add Devices and it populated the project with all 6 of my Nest Protect Smoke Detectors, the 2nd Gen TStat that remained in place, but the driver did not add the new 3rd Gen TStat.  Why not...what did I do wrong?  How do I add it the new TStat to the project?

Thanks in advance!

13 hours ago, USMC_10 said:

Quick question...I have a two zone home with both zones using 2nd Gen Nest Learning TStats.  Both TStats have been integrated into my C4 project since 2014.  The rotating bezel on one of the TStas failed I just replaced one 2nd Gen Nest TStat with a brand new 3rd Gen Nest Learning TStat. 

I successfully remove the old TStat from the Nest App and added the new 3rd Gen.  I am still using the original Nest App...I have not migrated to a Google Account.  Inside the Nest App everything is working great with both 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen TStats working perfectly.

In Composer Pro I removed the old TStat and upgraded the master driver from the old 2014 Nest driver to the Nest Master Driver OS2.7+.  I then successfully entered the pin code and connected the API to my Nest account.  For the last step, I clicked on Setup Account / Add Devices and it populated the project with all 6 of my Nest Protect Smoke Detectors, the 2nd Gen TStat that remained in place, but the driver did not add the new 3rd Gen TStat.  Why not...what did I do wrong?  How do I add it the new TStat to the project?

Thanks in advance!

Probably can't with the old setup. The old driver doesn't know anything about the new tstat.

You're likely going to have to move to a Google account.

6 minutes ago, RAV said:

Probably can't with the old setup. The old driver doesn't know anything about the new tstat.

You're likely going to have to move to a Google account.

Thanks RAV.  So the 3rd Gen Nest Thermostat has been out for 5 years (since Sept 2015), and yet has no one integrated this into C4?  Hard to believe?  Migration to Google only occurred in 2019...what did everyone do prior to that?  Surely there's a Nest driver out there that should work, no?

Thanks,
Mike

39 minutes ago, USMC_10 said:

Thanks RAV.  So the 3rd Gen Nest Thermostat has been out for 5 years (since Sept 2015), and yet has no one integrated this into C4?  Hard to believe?  Migration to Google only occurred in 2019...what did everyone do prior to that?  Surely there's a Nest driver out there that should work, no?

Thanks,
Mike

Not up on my Nest generations, assumed it was the latest you added.

I think there was a note about the old would stay working but couldn't add additional stuff to an old account after some date.

Or it could be your new gen3 has a different chip or firmware or something.
Or it could be, it's Google.

(Which is why I don't chase down that rabbit hole.)

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

you need the new google account driver when you move from Nest account to Google account

If I migrate to the Google account I will not be able to use the Nest App on my phone, correct?  That is problematic as I've heard Google has not integrated Nest Protect devices into their Google software yet.  Therefore, if there is a smoke or C02 warning/alarm, I will not receive push notifications to my phone.  What am I missing?

I'm still not sure what the issue is with C4.  The original Nest App works perfectly with all my stats (all generations) and all nest protects.  Seems strange I can add the new stat to my Nest App but not C4.  It seems that only C4 integration is what's broke.  I guess I'm left with using the nest app to control and monitor my stats and smoke detectors. I can still see my original stat in my C4 project, but for some reason the driver will not let me add a new one.  Migrating to a Google account isn't feasible until they resolve Nest Protect integration.

Okay let’s clear some things up. 

The old nest API is still running, from what I know C4 will keep their end up for stats already added, you won’t be able to add new ones, regardless of what generation it is.

you’ll eventually have to move over to a google account as “works with nest” is coming to the end of its life. 

the current nest app works with your google log in, or even your old nest login. 

nest protects are not supported as of yet with the google nest driver, this functionality is pending.

if anyone needs any help in doing this, let me know, have done many. 

Thanks 

Muj 

Thanks Muj...copy all. So if I understand correctly, even adding older generation stats to older drivers still won't work within C4...bottom line is the API refuses to add any new stats regardless of generation.

Sounds like I should migrate to Google.

Questions:

1) If migrate to the Google account can I still use my current Nest App? 

2) If yes to #1, even if nest protect won't work with the new Google C4 driver, will the nest protect devices remain detected/operational within the Nest app? 

14 hours ago, USMC_10 said:

Thanks Muj...copy all. So if I understand correctly, even adding older generation stats to older drivers still won't work within C4...bottom line is the API refuses to add any new stats regardless of generation.

Questions:

2) If yes to #1, even if nest protect won't work with the new Google C4 driver, will the nest protect devices remain detected/operational within the Nest app? 

Yes to all, I’m using the Tsat and Protect on my Nest App signed with Google account but did not migrate so my C4 also still work with both :)

On 10/29/2020 at 12:17 AM, USMC_10 said:

Questions:

Yes you can! 

I still use the nest app to control my hot water. 

yes the protects will still show up and be operational on the nest app 

Thanks 

Muj 

• 2 months later...

Been trying to bring my nest thermostat into C4. When i go to the authentication links through the c4 app the sliders reset saying they cant be saved thus preventing me from authentication and linking to c4.

I thought this was broken and thus the same for everyone. Anyone any ideas?

never been able to get this working.

Hate it!  Switching to C4 Thermostats next month.  Have had to nest t-stats come offline from Control4 since their migration from Nest to Google.  Was able to get one back but the other still no luck after 2 factory resets and adding it back just like the one that worked.  Have had them go offline and had to use the Nest/Google App to control almost every other month since.  Spouse unable to control any of them even though connected exactly the same.  These are going the route of EBay!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.