C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Control Of Sivoia Qed Shading

Large project in the ATL that will have Sivoia QED shading. unit was pre-wired for these and will also have manual operation from a Lutron Keypad. Can this work with C4? I have been told that a Lutron CCI8 is needed to go in between, but nothing I see on this has a RS-232 or IP output on it. Any ideas? Thx

Control4 can only control Lutron HomeWorks devices through a HomeWorks panel.

If your system doesn't have a panel (which will have a serial port or ethernet port), you can't control it through your Control4 system.

RyanE

Control4 can only control Lutron HomeWorks devices through a HomeWorks panel.

If your system doesn't have a panel (which will have a serial port or ethernet port), you can't control it through your Control4 system.

RyanE

for small systems - we just use IR to a hidden keypad .. dont need a homeworks panel .. works great for 1 to 4 blinds - or a single room for example ..

for larger systems, we use serial control exclusively - VERY easy to control from control4 system and a big cost savings compared to using CCI8 boards (which on a larger shade system can add up to a bit of money) - I have programmed 96 blinds into one system this way (serial) , with no lutron keypads used , all c4

with serial control, you can have toggle action, up , down , stop , presets (lots) and actions like if some groups are down and some up - bring all to a predetermined setting based on time of day .. toggle action can be "smart" -- shades will group toggle to either up or down and not have half going up and half going down ...

toggle action is a way i usually program then - so a 6 button keypad can control 6 groups.. a single button controls up / down / stop (at any position) (they reverse direction either once past a predetermined position or before, fully programmable in homeworks)

IR control with lutron only .. the keypads have IR input

used the rts controller on some system with somfy shades (that we dont supply), but those shade motors and such control are not in the same league as lutron

true - somfy is cheaper .. if one is willing to put up with noisy motors and the in-ability to have all shades move together nicely (silently) throughout a home -- somfy is a better buy .. there are other systems also ..

and quite true - they do the same thing pretty well in the end

I'm just trying to put this into perspective with the price-point of C4 equipment and typical C4 user's budget. But, I found that when I went out for quotes throught the Lutron dealer network, I got nowhere fast. It was way easier to go through a mainstream window covering dealer and thus wind-up with Somfy. The number of questions asked by one Lutron dealer in LA was ridiculous- just get your a** out to the job site and quote it was what I kept thinking.

I'm just trying to put this into perspective with the price-point of C4 equipment and typical C4 user's budget. But, I found that when I went out for quotes throught the Lutron dealer network, I got nowhere fast. It was way easier to go through a mainstream window covering dealer and thus wind-up with Somfy. The number of questions asked by one Lutron dealer in LA was ridiculous- just get your a** out to the job site and quote it was what I kept thinking.

you are perhaps right -- they prob. should just go to the site ....

even if you dont get the blinds right now -- you can prewire for them and hide the wire behind the window trim (we do this all the time - then drill a small hole later and pull the cable out)

lutron also has a rf solution and the QS system (mentioned above), which is much easier to wire for of course - but not designed for whole home systems, but per room -- less expensive also

This is a perfectly timed discussion for me. My dealer is just getting into the shades business and won't be offering Lutron shades. So, I've instead decided to go with a Lutron dealer for Sivoia QED shades... but he doesn't have a lot of experience integrating with Control4 (I have an HC-300). The project is for a condo with ten large windows (~9ft x 9ft).

I want to make sure the Lutron dealer includes and installs all the necessary components to integrate with C4. I'm confused by the IR/HomeWorks/CCI8/serial/ethernet options. What should I be looking for in the quote? What specifically do I tell him I need?

Any help is appreciated!

This is a perfectly timed discussion for me. My dealer is just getting into the shades business and won't be offering Lutron shades. So, I've instead decided to go with a Lutron dealer for Sivoia QED shades... but he doesn't have a lot of experience integrating with Control4 (I have an HC-300). The project is for a condo with ten large windows (~9ft x 9ft).

I want to make sure the Lutron dealer includes and installs all the necessary components to integrate with C4. I'm confused by the IR/HomeWorks/CCI8/serial/ethernet options. What should I be looking for in the quote? What specifically do I tell him I need?

Any help is appreciated!

With the Lutron Sivoia shades you have a few options to control them. You mentioned that you will have a total of 10 windows that will have window treatments.

Are these 10 windows in the same area or are they in diffrent rooms? What functions do you want the shades to have? If the shades are in multiply rooms do you want each room to have the ability to open and close etc or when you press open it opens 10 shades.

IR I would not do.

Homeworks can be done you will need a Q96 to interface the shades with a homeworks processor with this method serial 232 or ethernet control and is more costly and not needed in small jobs.

last option and the one the one I would suggest is contact closure with a CCI8 from lutron and contact relay extenders from C4 For 1 CCI 8 you will need 2 contact relay extenders.

The CCI8 has 8 contact closure inputs. Each input provides a function and requires a relay for each input. The CCI8 can be configured to control 1,2 or 4 groups of shades but as you try to control more groups of shades with 1 CCI8 you lose functions.

So depending on where the 10 shades are and the amount of control you want will determine the the number of CCI8 you will need If all the shades are in one room and will all function the same then you will only need 1 CCI8. If there will be serveral diffrent groups of shades and you want all the functions then this will require a CCI8 for each group. I

1 group of shades with the following functions

open

close

raise

lower

stop

preset 1

preset 2

preset 3

2 groups of shades with the following functions

open

close

raise

lower

4 groups of shades with the following functions

open

close

The old Lutron System in QED, the assembly includes the motors, a transformer and a contact closure board (CCI8). This is how you program the CCI8 board from scratch...

http://wiki.cytexone.com/display/pubdocs/Lutron+Blind+Integration+with+C4

The new Lutron System is QS which can be controlled via Serial RS-232. It is much easier to do large project in this fashion.

@ fitzgibbon... thanks for the detailed reply! Really helpful.

The 10 shades (Sivoia QED) would be installed in 3 rooms, (1 in each of two bedrooms and 8 in an open concept kitchen/living/dining space). And I want to control 8 of the 10 shades independently with open, close and 2 presets. (These are all fairly large 9ft x 9ft shades)

To achieve that type of flexibility, it sounds like I would need 8 CCI8s? If that's the case, Homeworks with the Q96 interface sounds like it might be better... and potentially more cost effective?

Again... really appreciate the help!

The old Lutron System in QED, the assembly includes the motors, a transformer and a contact closure board (CCI8). This is how you program the CCI8 board from scratch...

The new Lutron System is QS which can be controlled via Serial RS-232. It is much easier to do large project in this fashion.

@AS2

So, for the project I've described above, would you recommend the new QS system over QED? I'm not sure what qualifies as a large project?

My Lutron dealer just provided me with a quote for QEDs. I've been poking around the Lutron site trying to understand the difference between the two systems? Is QS replacing QEDs? Is there a cost difference?

Any advice is appreciated!

QS is not replacing QED, there are more choices in QED including larger units ...

QS is much easier to wire and program, though QED are not that difficult .... at the various lutron training courses ive had to suffer through, QS is pushed more for single room systems operated by a graphic eye QS controller .. QED is for whole home/business large scale installs ..

much the same goes for the lighting systems, except there are graphic eye controllers for example hotels - that really operate lutron's industrial dimmers in reality ..

in your situation i would lean more towards QS

• 2 months later...

I would like to put the Lutron roller blinds in the upstairs bedrooms (4 rooms & 7 blinds total all retro & no wires run). One of the rooms has 2 different size windows length ways. I would like to have control of each window separately as well as together. Does Lutron have a wireless blind that can integrate with C4? If not, which system (QED or QS) do you think would work best for my application. What would need to be run to control the blinds if wires needed to be pulled?

Thanks!

Lutron can be painful to retro due to the control & power wiring needed, you might want to look at offerings from Draper, Hunter Douglas, etc.

Lutron makes a great shade package, but it takes quite a bit of hardwiring to get it done.

Does Hunter Douglas or the like have blinds that can be integrated into C4? If so, what are the requirements for these blinds?

Archived