C4 Forums | Control4

Wanted, Control4 training, user and installation manuals

BrianJ

Henniae,

stop being such a dealer, I will give the training material and all manuals to anybody.

Just send me a email from SLC or Chicago; while your attending the new dealer training and I will send them to you.

(you might want to download them onsight, but what the heck!)

c4user,

Unless you not only have them, but have the copyright on them, you have no right to sell them.

RyanE

sorry ryan - but you are completely wrong

In the case of Bobbs-Merrill Co. v. Straus, 210 U.S. 339 (1908), the Supreme Court held that the exclusive right to sell copyrighted works only applied to the first sale of a copyrighted work. 210 U.S. 339, 349-350.

While the copyright owner retained the underlying copyright to the expression fixed in the work, the copyright owner gave up his ability to control the fate of the work once it had been sold.

More recently, on March 9, 1998, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled that the first sale doctrine applies to copyrighted goods produced in the United States and sold in foreign markets. In the case of Quality King Distributors, Inc. v. L'anza Research International, Inc., 1998 WL 96265 (U.S. Cal.) [cornell.edu], the court held that the first sale doctrine prevents copyright owners from controlling the importation of copyrighted goods sold outside the United States. The court found that section 602(a) of the Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. 602(a), gives copyright owners the right to control the importation of copies into the United States, is an extension of the copyright owner's exclusive right to distribute copies under section 106 and not an additional right of the copyright owner.

Therefore someone can re-sell the manuals freely and legally ..... but can not sell the software per say...

In fact I could sell both software and manuals legally in canada and from canada to the usa (as per the USA Supreme Court)- much as I can legally download content in canada.

Yes, but the person in question never *bought* them, *and* is not selling a single copy, is selling an electronic copy, which they have no rights to do.

Certainly the legal question is thornier than I'm making it, but "first sale" doctrine only applies when there's been a sale.

RyanE

I didn't notice it was a downloaded electronic copy - in that case there is no sale (unless they had to pay for said electronic copy) -- if they take the training course and received manuals there, it would be ..

also even if you did receive manuals at a course - you can't copy them and sell them, or even give away copies of a copy ..

I have them. I will take $35.00 paypaled and I can email them to you in Adobe format. Original directly from c4's dealer site.

this is the same guy who offers to "install" and program systems even though he's not a dealer... I'd be cautious of sending my money.

And on a brighter note, I purchased Composer Home Edition, when my installer showed up he forgot to pick up the disc from his store, so he used a copy he had on his computer. I did not get the disc it came on. Is there a manual that came with it that explained how to program with CHE?

And on a brighter note, I purchased Composer Home Edition, when my installer showed up he forgot to pick up the disc from his store, so he used a copy he had on his computer. I did not get the disc it came on. Is there a manual that came with it that explained how to program with CHE?

it is all in the help file really

• 4 years later...

The HE software and help file is all online at my.control4.com  I don't own a CD with the software, just a software key.

Archived