C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Dimmer to support 800 watts?

poseidonsystems

3 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

there is not you would need to use a dimmer booster for anything beyond i think 800 watts on the forward phase. 

Interesting. I know the V1 lighting has 1,000 watt max. I didn’t realize they’d gotten rid of that. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 3:22 AM, poseidonsystems said:

Can I use the forward phase dimmer on the 800 watt load or should I just use the Lutron booster? 

i stand corrected on the total wattage. However its necessary to know more about the load. However with a load this large the booster is the best bet.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:46 AM, Crustyloafer said:

Lutron Power Booster. 

Just wire the outputs from C4 dimmer to inputs on Power Booster and then outputs from Power Booster to load. Can handle up to 1200W if flush mounted or 1840W if surface mounted.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/pb.pdf

Thanks Crustyloafer, 

Just to confirm, follow this diagram?  I'm using just one single c4 dimmer on an 800 watt load. 

15808303140951901389956145194415.jpg

On 2/4/2020 at 3:33 PM, poseidonsystems said:

Thanks Crustyloafer, 

Just to confirm, follow this diagram?  I'm using just one single c4 dimmer on an 800 watt load. 

That all looks correct to me. Basically you are just wiring the dimmed output of the C4 Dimmer to the Zone In on Power Booster and the Zone out of the Power Booster to the actual load. Then you are just wiring a permanent live and neutral to the Hot/Live and Neutral terminals of both units.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:25 AM, Crustyloafer said:

That all looks correct to me. Basically you are just wiring the dimmed output of the C4 Dimmer to the Zone In on Power Booster and the Zone out of the Power Booster to the actual load. Then you are just wiring a permanent live and neutral to the Hot/Live and Neutral terminals of both units.

I was a Lutron rep for several years. The wiring diagrams on the power boosters were so confusing. That's the best I've seen from them on that device.

• 2 months later...
Hi all, so I have a commercial client that has a light load that's about 800 watts and the adaptive phase c4 dimmer just isn't going to do since it's rated at 600 watts max. Anyone have a suggestion about supporting this much of a light load? 
Why does the client not want to switch to a more energy efficient load with bulb replacements?

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, SMHarman said:
On 1/1/2020 at 11:18 PM, poseidonsystems said:
Hi all, so I have a commercial client that has a light load that's about 800 watts and the adaptive phase c4 dimmer just isn't going to do since it's rated at 600 watts max. Anyone have a suggestion about supporting this much of a light load? 

Why does the client not want to switch to a more energy efficient load with bulb replacements?

So the bulbs are specific to their application so they can't really change the bulbs. It's a bunch of lights on this load, about 30 bulbs

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What type of load are you talking about? Is it 800W LED?  I'm doing a commercial project as well and having the same issue.  C4 technician is telling me to keep the load under 160W per switch but it is so hard when i got to run 120ft of strip light  and bunch of other pot lights.  It seems like i have to have multiple switches. 

1 hour ago, Puru said:

What type of load are you talking about? Is it 800W LED?  I'm doing a commercial project as well and having the same issue.  C4 technician is telling me to keep the load under 160W per switch but it is so hard when i got to run 120ft of strip light  and bunch of other pot lights.  It seems like i have to have multiple switches. 

Multiple switches or do centralized lighting. Or if you are going to use led controller just use a switch to turn the power on and off and then use the led controller to control dimming.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.