C4 Forums | Control4

Best Motorized Blinds

rf9000

Guys,

Im looking for recommendations on the best motorized blinds at the lowest cost. There are many new lower cost products coming to the market these days and wondering if anything new works as well as the older brands that still charge an arm and a leg. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

23 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Guys,

Im looking for recommendations on the best motorized blinds at the lowest cost. There are many new lower cost products coming to the market these days and wondering if anything new works as well as the older brands that still charge an arm and a leg. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

The best at the lowest cost usually negate each other.

Somfy is mid priced

Qmotion/Lutron are higher priced

Rollease is available now for C4 too and I think the price point is closer in the Somfy range vs QMotion/Lutron

The materials you pick also can have an added cost factor as well.

Hunter Douglas is now getting more into this area - they did a training at our office a month or so ago.  They claim a price-point significantly lower than Lutron.

I can't speak to the quality or value, just that they might be another option to consider.

Blinds aren't cheap in general, and they will be up for a significant amount of time. Chances are you will use them EVERY day. Don't skimp here. Look into Lutron Triathlon if budget is a concern. Battery life in the 3-5 years is typical. Hardwire options available, and you'll need a Caseta SmartBridge Pro for contol and integration. Look into the forums and FaceBook groups. Lutron is always preferred.

As everyone else said, Lutron is the reference standard. They have the widest variety of fabrics, the quietest operation, and the longest battery life. But those things have a cost.

If low cost is more important than highest quality, then the new IKEA roller blinds are something to consider. They don’t directly integrate into Control4, but can be controlled via the Homebridge driver or with Google voice/IFTTT, but both are more hacks than full integrations. 

19 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Sure, buy the cheap blinds, but be prepared to hear a jet airplane taking off every time they are used.

if that doesn’t bother then great.

Otherwise, Lutron and QMotion would be top choice, with the higher end Somfy models as third.  Some Somfy’s are extremely loud too.

Jet airplane, huh? guess we are flying different planes.  Having actually compared them - the "cheap" blinds are not particularly loud, in either absolute or relative terms.  Louder than Lutron? Sure, but unless you have some special needs, you're going to be using them about three times/day, roughly 30 seconds of the 86,400 in a day.  I enjoyed spending the ~13K I saved on something other than my C4 dealer and a Lutron shop.  Maybe it's just me

4 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Jet airplane, huh? guess we are flying different planes.  Having actually compared them - the "cheap" blinds are not particularly loud, in either absolute or relative terms.  Louder than Lutron? Sure, but unless you have some special needs, you're going to be using them about three times/day, roughly 30 seconds of the 86,400 in a day.  I enjoyed spending the ~13K I saved on something other than my C4 dealer and a Lutron shop.  Maybe it's just me

To each their own man.

I've done the side by sides as well.

I've also seen a wall of cheap blinds and when they go up or down together, I get out the noise cancelling headphones.  So, yeah, a jet airplane.

1 or 2 windows, whatever.  But when you're doing a bunch and they are all automated based on sunrise/sunset, no thank you.

5 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Which brands are you referring to?  Have some older HD and they are relatively loud as well...

I can confirm QMotion is really good.  Integration with Control4 is simple.  Shades have been pretty bulletproof.

You're going to find that regardless of shade motor (Lutron, Somfy, QMotion) you are going to find a fabric you like.  Many manufacturers use the same fabric manufacturer (for example, Mermet), but may put their own branding on the fabric - point being,  you're getting the same thing.

I agree to stick with Lutron or QMotion.  Note that my decision on QMotion was due to ability to fit larger openings (width), hem bar control (ability to control shade by pulling the hembar), good integration with Control4, and simple wiring using just CAT5/6.

If you are doing a deep dive into this stuff, would encourage you to also look at Screen Innovations (SI).  They ultimately use a Somfy motor, but their cassettes are small and modern, and they have a lithium ion rechargeable solution as well and good integration into Control4.

Shades are difficult (sizing, fitting, etc) and expensive.  No way around it.

I went with a company (can’t remember their name but it started with a G?) my local shade dealer recommended. Said they’re big in residential. They had great fabrics, and use Somfy battery powered motors. He’s my neighbor so he said he gave me a “great deal”, but for 12 windows (9 of which are all next to each other) I’m paying about $5.5k. That included 2 Somfy MyLink devices, battery charger (they’re rechargeable batteries) and installation. A fancy valance too. They should be here around the 25th of the month and I’m happy to post details/videos/pics/opinions once they show up. 

45 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I went with a company (can’t remember their name but it started with a G?) my local shade dealer recommended. Said their big in residential. They had great fabrics, and use Somfy battery powered motors. He’s my neighbor so he said he gave me a “great deal”, but for 12 windows (9 of which are all next to each other) I’m paying about $5.5k. That included 2 Somfy MyLink devices, battery charger (they’re rechargeable batteries) and installation. A fancy valance too. They should be here around the 25th of the month and I’m happy to post details/videos/pics/opinions once they show up. 

Please do post pics.

3 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

The shades I ordered are from Graber

I saw Graber at Costco recently and didn't know if they integrated with Control4.  Good to know that they do.  Just stating my window treatment automation search and gathering intel.  Look forward to your updates.

13 minutes ago, SY3 said:

I saw Graber at Costco recently and didn't know if they integrated with Control4.  Good to know that they do.  Just stating my window treatment automation search and gathering intel.  Look forward to your updates.

Yep - the MOTOR is what needs to integrate. Somfy motors do. Costco may sell them with different motors in them. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.