C4 Forums | Control4

Best Motorized Blinds

rf9000

On 5/21/2020 at 1:09 AM, Amr said:

Tuya is hackable via Tuya-convert and again flash it with Tasmota or ESPurna and you have web or MQTT control 😇

Hi,

I am buying motorized curtains but I can only find decent priced units that are Zigbee Tuya controlled. I am having a Comtrol4 system installed in 1 month and simply can't afford the very very expensive native Control4 curtains so can you please explain how I can get these to work through Control4?

Thank you very much! :)

30 minutes ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

Hi,

I am buying motorized curtains but I can only find decent priced units that are Zigbee Tuya controlled. I am having a Comtrol4 system installed in 1 month and simply can't afford the very very expensive native Control4 curtains so can you please explain how I can get these to work through Control4?

Thank you very much! :)

Don’t get into Zigbee based devices as it requires some knowledge to hack and still no Zigbee to MQTT available, you will need some other ways to get it work with C4 and it will require a lot of programming mainly Node Red, etc. Instead look for WiFi based Tuya devices. Check these https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33013536157.html

For C4 side search the forums for David MQTT driver and read through the settings, driver need to be added by a dealer, contact David for driver support after it’s installed, as for Tuya device you need to load it with Tasmota firmware, search YouTube for Tuya Convert tutorial.  

You need to have the passion and some technical knowledge to do that as you will maintain the solution yourself, otherwise don’t do it and stick with C4 native integrated equipment as you will find support from dealers and C4!

On 5/19/2020 at 10:17 PM, Amr said:

There is a handful of devices for shades coming out in the market, but all is Bluetooth, It’s $45 a piece I bought one to try out and might integrate to C4 via AB4 later.

Correction, on AliExpress 10’s of WiFi Tuya shades devices are available and in the range of $40 to $70 in addition to shipping ...

20 minutes ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

Thanks.

Honestly I will try as I don't have the money after a lot of unexpected expenses to go native Control4.

Have you tried yourself? If so did you have much success?

Thanks mate :)

I have a lot of flashed devices working already with my system, Light 💡, sockets, strips, Humidifiers, Valves. All is working, I do have the Tuya Shade, but I did not install it yet as no labors are currently taking jobs, will do that in a month or two or I will install it myself!

• 2 weeks later...

Have 4 rooms with Lutron Shades and 3 rooms with Somfy shades/motors.  By far the Lutron shades are more reliable and much quieter.  Bought the Somfy shades about 6 years ago and the Lutron ones 5 years ago.  Have had 0 service calls on the Lutron units and have had to turn in 2 of the Somfy shades twice for swap. The Lutron units for comparable window size and options were about 40% higher than the Somfy shades.  So just may come down to priority of needs and budget.  Have 2 more rooms to do and definitely recommend Lutron.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

They is a c4 driver ~ so you set them up in the app and then tell the app they are to be controlled by a hub ~ c4 then can connect to them. 

great for blinds in guest rooms and small windows 

for the living room with Q Motions 

Perfect just need to figure out what to do with all the wands hanging from the blinds now :0

• 2 months later...
Understood. I think some folks are just pointing out the differences between Lutron and others. 
Lutron's patent for hembar alignment has not run out.
Lutron does have the quietest and most reliable motors in the industry
Lutron batteries last between 3-7 years.
That said, you seem very happy with your choice and in the end that's what counts.

Is there any difference between the Serena line of shades vs other Lutron shades in terms of quality of motor (do they use the same Lutron motor/ what is unique about the Serena line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, Steelermedallion said:

Is there any difference between the Serena line of shades vs other Lutron shades in terms of quality of motor (do they use the same Lutron motor/ what is unique about the Serena line?

Serena Shades use the same motors found on the Triathlon line of shades. There are a few software differences between Serena and Triathlon, like the ability to do hembar alignment, which is not possible with Serena. Also, Serena Shades are slightly less expensive than Triathlon -- depending on the fabric.

About 5 years ago I got 8 Triathlon honeycomb shades and 1 large roller shade that covers a 6 foot sliding glass door. The honeycomb shades were in the more expensive color palette and size was approximately 3’x5’ each.

I paid right about $4000.00 for everything including shipping.  I got 40% off list price using an online Lutron vendor that I’ve been using for years and he’s always been great. You have to do your own measurements and install so you need to know what you’re doing.  Let me know via PM if you want details. 

On 8/13/2020 at 11:11 PM, Steelermedallion said:

@matt - which did you buy and did you install yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got Graber shades with Somfy motors. My neighbor is in the shade business and he took care of everything, including install. 

On 8/18/2020 at 12:21 AM, ILoveC4 said:

I got Graber shades with Somfy motors. My neighbor is in the shade business and he took care of everything, including install. 

Are you using C4 to manage?  What driver and C4 OS are you using?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.