C4 Forums | Control4

Amp trigger programming

Hi, my dealer changed my 2 Triad amps from audio sensing to 12v trigger from my EA5 which helped with low volume and quicker response times however the way he has programmed it following any announcement the amps turn off even if the TV or audio was playing somewhere in the house.  Also if you are listening to audio in 2 rooms and then turn one off it turns all the amps off.  Any ideas on how else I can program this?  It is programmed to turn on the amps using 'When current_selected_device changes' for each room and below is the summary for the amp driver. Thanks

image.thumb.png.787095b98422caa9f91893f861016af5.png

3 hours ago, kylejdavies said:

Hi, my dealer changed my 2 Triad amps from audio sensing to 12v trigger from my EA5 which helped with low volume and quicker response times however the way he has programmed it following any announcement the amps turn off even if the TV or audio was playing somewhere in the house.  Also if you are listening to audio in 2 rooms and then turn one off it turns all the amps off.  Any ideas on how else I can program this?  It is programmed to turn on the amps using 'When current_selected_device changes' for each room and below is the summary for the amp driver. Thanks

As others have indicated.. remove all of that programming.  You don't need it if you're using the 12V triggers.  Your amps will turn on and off as needed.

Thanks for all the replies.  I have removed all programming relating to the Amps & Relays.  I have bound the 12v input of the Amps to the EA5 relays however nothing is now working and you can't hear the relays opening or closing as previously.   Do I need some programming to tell the relays to open/close?  New screenshots attached below. 

image.thumb.png.8e0e3bacb5bf1d836c44c4bcb6b2103e.png

image.thumb.png.b510776a212c44a4645a5600fb72092f.png

Remove the relay drivers completely or disconnect them.

Click on your Triad 8 zone amp driver.

Bind the 12v trigger from the amp to the EA5 relays.

thats it.

if it’s not working, then your wiring isn’t correct on the EA5 side.  The amps expect 12v to turn on so you need to steal the 12v from the EA5 contact, then the relay will control the 12v flow when it opens or closes. 

Thanks both.  I looked up the posts and found the wiring diagram which I followed below however the Amps stayed on permanently.  So I followed another thread which suggested jumping 12v to COM, NO to 12v on AMP, and GND to AMP - nothing happened with this either, if I select any audio source the Amp's stay off.  Any other ideas?  

Capture.PNG.4185b77f6cd9bab918e9a235d69d9bd1.PNG

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Remove the relay drivers completely or disconnect them.

Click on your Triad 8 zone amp driver.

Bind the 12v trigger from the amp to the EA5 relays.

thats it.

if it’s not working, then your wiring isn’t correct on the EA5 side.  The amps expect 12v to turn on so you need to steal the 12v from the EA5 contact, then the relay will control the 12v flow when it opens or closes. 

Is this even necessary?  I have the 12V trigger both of my amps (one Episode, one Triad) wired to the 12V trigger outputs on my Triad matrix and my amps turn on/off properly.  Is this just because I have a matrix in the mix?

17 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Is this even necessary?  I have the 12V trigger both of my amps (one Episode, one Triad) wired to the 12V trigger outputs on my Triad matrix and my amps turn on/off properly.  Is this just because I have a matrix in the mix?

Correct, matrix involved so it's different.

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

15 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Correct, matrix involved so it's different.

I am using a Control4 matrix however there are no relays or contacts on this and only on the EA5.

10 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

12v out of control4 contact input into relay com

Relay no and contact gnd to 3.5 mm cable.

NO is tip and obviously Gnd is Ground.

This is how I have it wired and I have triple checked my connections but nothing seems to be firing the relays.  When I was using the programming in my original post it all worked but with the errors described.  I have bound the connections as per my screenshots.  Do I need any programming to tell the relays to open? Thanks

I've been wanting to get the triggers on my amps working for a few reasons.  I'm still unclear of a few things and any help that can be provided is appreciated.

I have an HC-800 as my controller, two Control4 audio matrices, and four 12-channel amps with triggers.  If it helps, the amps are the TruAudio A75 amps.  I have only used the audio sensing on the amps in the past, so as of today, the amps don't exist in the Control4 programming but everything works fine.

Can I use a single relay on the controller for more than one amp if I need to?  I understand that I'll turn on both amps when the trigger fires but I just want to make sure the circuitry won't get anything.  I'm already using two of the relays for garage door sensors and I only have two others available.  I've only used audio sensing in the past and didn't necessarily associate specific zones with specific amps but I'll try to clean it up and group things as much as possible.

Is there a generic amp driver that I can use to bind the connections in Composer?  I need a contact and relay for each trigger, correct?

@kylejdavies, can you walk me through the wiring?

Thanks again!

Hi, for the wiring I took a 12v from the C4 contacts and fed this to the com on the relay (jumper wire) then I used a spare IR bud and cut off the IR end, plugged the 3.5mm mono plug to the trigger port on my amp and the 2 wires to the relay on the controller.  The tip wire is the +12v feed which goes to the NO port on on the relay and the GND wire from the plug goes to the GND on the C4 contact.  Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.