C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendations for a work around if I cant find an IR driver for a Denon Receiver?

JakeFromSF

Question

I am trying to set up a customers Denon AVR-X1500H receiver. I've ran an IR to the device as the customer does not want the Receiver or TV on the network. Problem is, i can only find IP drivers for that model. I have tried going up and down models but every other model that does have IR either doesn't have HDMI (i know right?) or the HDMI names and quantities are off. 

What do you guys do to get around this?

I was hoping i could find a generic IR driver for receivers but I am having no luck finding one. 

1 minute ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Seems to me that you should be talking your client in to putting the AVR on the network and doing this properly with an IP driver?

The receiver is able to be IR controlled, surely there is a driver somewhere that will just simply send the IR commands. They dont want it on the network, IR is always more reliable than IP so I will rule out trying to put it on the network even if they didnt care either way. 

The receiver is able to be IR controlled, surely there is a driver somewhere that will just simply send the IR commands. They dont want it on the network, IR is always more reliable than IP so I will rule out trying to put it on the network even if they didnt care either way. 
Disagree that IR is more reliable.

But a lot of the IP drivers also have an ir binding and will do IR with the right binding.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Disagree that IR is more reliable.

But a lot of the IP drivers also have an ir binding and will do IR with the right binding.

I was unable to find an IR binding in the connections page when i had the correct IP driver downloaded. Any ideas where else i could find that?

45 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

If it had it that is where it would be.

Off topic here but I just noticed something odd with the set up. I have the receiver set up as the on-screen device for the controller. When i tell the receiver to go to the onscreen device, I can only see about a 8" x 8" square at the top right of the screen. From what i can see, everything looks right. I can move around, click on stuff, everything. But can only see that little square of the top right of the on-screen. 

Any ideas why it may be doing that?

1 hour ago, Crustyloafer said:

Why don't you just build an IR driver from scratch with the commands you need/want in it or take an existing IR driver and modify it with the changes to inputs and IR codes etc.

Solved!

For anyone else looking to add ANY IR device to a Control4 system but cant find an IR Driver:

1. Download a similar IR driver (I guess it could technically be any TV IR driver really, doesn't matter too much) 
  2. Right click on it, Select "Edit Driver"
  3. Click "Codes"
  4. Click "Next" at the bottom right of the popup
  5. Find the command you need on the left column under "Codes" and click on it, for me it was Power Toggle 
  6. Walk to your C4 Controller with any old remote that can turn on the device 
  7. Press the button you are trying to program for 2 seconds, Wait 2 seconds then press it a second time for 2 seconds. 
  8. Go back to your computer, click "Finish" at the bottom left
  9. DONE! You have custom programmed any IR device assuming you have the old remote to capture the codes. 

I assume no one recommended this becasue they thought I knew the controller could do this already but just in case someone is googling for hours like I was and never once saw that the controller can learn IR commands, here is your guide. 

12 minutes ago, JakeFromSF said:

Solved!

For anyone else looking to add ANY IR device to a Control4 system but cant find an IR Driver:

1. Download a similar IR driver (I guess it could technically be any TV IR driver really, doesn't matter too much) 
  2. Right click on it, Select "Edit Driver"
  3. Click "Codes"
  4. Click "Next" at the bottom right of the popup
  5. Find the command you need on the left column under "Codes" and click on it, for me it was Power Toggle 
  6. Walk to your C4 Controller with any old remote that can turn on the device 
  7. Press the button you are trying to program for 2 seconds, Wait 2 seconds then press it a second time for 2 seconds. 
  8. Go back to your computer, click "Finish" at the bottom left
  9. DONE! You have custom programmed any IR device assuming you have the old remote to capture the codes. 

I assume no one recommended this becasue they thought I knew the controller could do this already but just in case someone is googling for hours like I was and never once saw that the controller can learn IR commands, here is your guide. 

This is C4 programming 101 and covered in the 5 day automation programmer training required by all C4 dealers/technicians.

6 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

This is C4 programming 101 and covered in the 5 day automation programmer training required by all C4 dealers/technicians.

You would think so. I just got certified about 3 months ago, Never once was this mentioned in my class unfortunately. I wish it was!  

Strange it was left out of training. Welcome to the club Jake, please do not hesitate to ask about any other questions you might have, although personally you would be better off asking them on of the official C4 Forums which are for dealers only. There is a good mix of C4 dealers/programmers, driver developers and end users on here, but if you are a registered dealer then you might get more appropriate answers to some of your questions on the official forums. 

Just now, Crustyloafer said:

Strange it was left out of training. Welcome to the club Jake, please do not hesitate to ask about any other questions you might have, although personally you would be better off asking them on of the official C4 Forums which are for dealers only. There is a good mix of C4 dealers/programmers, driver developers and end users on here, but if you are a registered dealer then you might get more appropriate answers to some of your questions on the official forums. 

Thanks @Crustyloafer! I will check out the official forum. 

5 minutes ago, JakeFromSF said:

Thanks @Crustyloafer! I will check out the official forum. 

Also, some great Facebook Groups too, I get some of the fastest and most useful responses to some of my queries on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/control4programming/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Control4Programmers/

You really should use the IP driver. That said, congrats on figuring out how to make an IR driver. 

Hopefully the receiver doesn’t catch direct sunlight or light from a fluorescent bulb, or the IR bud fall off, or the power get out of sync with rapid fire on/off/on commands. IR is a gigantic pain in the ass. I don’t have a single IR driver in my system and plan to keep it that way. 

4 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

You really should use the IP driver. That said, congrats on figuring out how to make an IR driver. 

Hopefully the receiver doesn’t catch direct sunlight or light from a fluorescent bulb, or the IR bud fall off, or the power get out of sync with rapid fire on/off/on commands. IR is a gigantic pain in the ass. I don’t have a single IR driver in my system and plan to keep it that way. 

I know it sounds all conspiracy like, but I really dont like TVs being connected to a network. Too much data collection going on for my taste. I did end up connecting the receiver to the network but IR for the TV. 

Yup

57 minutes ago, JakeFromSF said:

I know it sounds all conspiracy like, but I really dont like TVs being connected to a network. Too much data collection going on for my taste. I did end up connecting the receiver to the network but IR for the TV. 

What? Then put it on a VLAN that doesn’t have internet access. You afraid “the man” is going to figure out how often you turn the TV on and off? Or turn the volume up and down?

Whatever content you’re watching will gain 1000000x more info than anyone would learn from your TV being controlled by IP commands. Or is this guy strictly VHS? That’s honestly one of the whackiest things I’ve ever heard. 

55 minutes ago, msgreenf said:
1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

Yup

If IR drivers were “better and more reliable” wouldn’t you think he’d find a whole slew of them? They’re a hell of a lot easier to build than an IP driver. You’d think if they were better Control4 and all these driver creators would be saving time and doing that over forcing everyone to deal with IP. 

1 minute ago, ILoveC4 said:

If IR drivers were “better and more reliable” wouldn’t you think he’d find a whole slew of them? They’re a hell of a lot easier to build than an IP driver. You’d think if they were better Control4 and all these driver creators would be saving time and doing that over forcing everyone to deal with IP. 

i was agreeing with you...

2 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

What? Then put it on a VLAN that doesn’t have internet access. You afraid “the man” is going to figure out how often you turn the TV on and off? Or turn the volume up and down?

Whatever content you’re watching will gain 1000000x more info than anyone would learn from your TV being controlled by IP commands. Or is this guy strictly VHS? That’s honestly one of the whackiest things I’ve ever heard. 

Just a snippet here but check out Samsungs privacy agreement you sign when you turn on their TV. 

https://www.samsung.com/sg/info/privacy/

Ill just extract a few of the fun points in the first few paragraphs:

"

• We Collect: 
  • Location information: Your Product’s GPS signal or information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers that may be transmitted to us when you use certain Services and enable the Location function.
  • Voice information: Recordings of your voice that we make and store on our servers when you enable this function, use voice commands to control a Service, or when you contact our Customer Service team. Note that if we work with a third party service provider that provides speech-to-text conversion services on our behalf, this provider may receive and store certain voice commands in accordance with the contract concluded between us and our trusted third-party service provider.
  • Samsung Keyboard information: The words that you type when you enable Predictive text. This feature may be offered in connection with your Samsung account to synchronize the data for use on your other Samsung Products. You can clear the data by going to the Predictive text settings.
  • Viewing Information: The networks, channels, websites visited, and programs viewed on your Products and the amount of time spent viewing them.

Ill recap a few of these too, This section they state they will collect your GPS location, Voice recordings that they will be sending to unnamed third party companies and things you type on any Samsung device (includes phones and tablets) 

We may receive information about you from publicly or commercially available sources, including such information about you from third party social networking services you use, and combine this with other information about you so that we can better understand your needs, interests, and preferences. We also may receive information about you when other people provide it using our Services, such as your name and contact information when others send a message to you or share files with you.

Here they say they will be pairing the information they collect from your television with your online presence to start a bread crumb trail and to figure out exactly who you are. 

Ill stick to IR until it becomes unreliable for me :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.