C4 Forums | Control4

Why Can't I Use My iPad App At Home Without The Internet On 3.x.x

I have an iPad wall mounted and connected to a Unifi network router by Ethernet. All my C4 devices plus the iPad are all on the same router. Before upgrading to OS 3 if my internet went down I could still use my iPad to control things. Since updating to OS 3 when my internet goes down I get a can not connect message. Did something in OS 3 change that the app needs to connect remotely now or did something change in some setting somewhere that I need to change? I live in a rural area and losing internet is common so I would like to figure out what is happening.

Initially, needs internet connection to connect to the cloud servers when setting up/adding the app.  After the device is linked to your account, it's supposed to connect locally.

Are you sure you're not running into the whole system coming to a halt when the internet goes down?  That's more common than you think, but can be worked around.

There have been a number of cases of something similar being reported (there is another thread on this also).  I had the same thing a couple of months ago at my holiday house.  My dealer has asked me to test it properly (unplugging my fiber feed) but I have never got round to it and internet is up 99.9% of the times one rarely notices the issue. Hopefully it is a bug and can be fixed... 

4 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Are you sure you're not running into the whole system coming to a halt when the internet goes down?  That's more common than you think, but can be worked around.

Slightly off topic, but how can this be worked around?

Easiest workaround is to set your controllers with a static IP.
Is this recommended in general? We typically assign static IPs to all the devices on the network except for the C4 controller, so that it remains accessible for configuration even if the network switch it's connected to it is plugged into a different router that's assigning a different set of IP addresses.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Is this recommended in general? We typically assign static IPs to all the devices on the network except for the C4 controller, so that it remains accessible for configuration even if the network switch it's connected to it is plugged into a different router that's assigning a different set of IP addresses.

I personally go for dhcp res

12 hours ago, Aayush Arya said:

This is what I’d recommend.  Tech support has said at least director statically assigned.  But my systems all get static IPs for control system.  This way even if your ISP goes out, router does or whatever, as long as you have these devices plugged into a switch, they will talk with each other.

The reasoning for director, I believe, is that when DHCP assigned the loop back address may not be used?  But if static, it will?  At least that’s the gist I remember. 

12 hours ago, msgreenf said:
13 hours ago, Aayush Arya said:

I personally go for dhcp res

I always prefer DHCP res as well since this is generally safer in avoiding IP address conflicts.  And then it is easier to change other stuff if you have to, like DNS, subnet mask, etc. 

True but I don't believe you can change a C$ controller to use a static IP unless you are a dealer.  I like to use the same process for network config for everything on my LAN (or at least use as few variations as possible) and while it is pretty easy to change to a static IP on C4 from your desk, with many other devices you have to click through a bunch of menus on the physical device.  Like an Xbox, FireTV, Roku for example.  If you are using static IP for those devices then you have to actually make the change on the device which can be more combersome and time consuming.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.